• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos avoiding tolerance/addiction by switching between benzos??

ShiaFuckingLaBeouf

Bluelighter
would like to get into benzos but ive heard that it builds tolerance fast and its very easy to get addicted.

i was wondering whether this benzo addiction/tolerance increase could be mitigated by switching between benzos?

For example, let's say I use xanax one week. The next week I switch to valium. The week after that it's klonopin. Then on to eitzolam. Then back to xanax.

Would this be the equivelant of taking xanax one week, then waiting 3 weeks then back to xanax? Or is it basically like you're taking xanax the whole time?

what im saying is, is there a strong cross-tolerance between benzos? and does this apply to addiction as well?

Using any benzo that excessively is not my goal anyway. I was just wondering (mostly for the sake of the financial costs!) whether you could keep tolerance down by switching from benzo to benzo so as to avoid consecutive use of any one kind of benzo.

im not sure if this is a stupid question. sorry lol

You can't do what you proposed, But you might feel a little more with a new benzo equidose (due to varying selectivity towards different GABAa subunits). So basically they share like 95% of their tolerance.

ah thanks for the response Mracid, that's a bit of a same but I guess if you're going to abuse benzos you might as well switch it up right. 95% is better than 100%

I wish it was like that, like how it is with kratom. I don't know if this would be a good idea though, it actually might increase your chance of developing a dependence if you're switching back and forth between long acting and short acting benzos.

in my experience your plan would NOT mitigate the growth of tolerance nor addiction possibilities due to them all affecting the gaba system. it's also medically proven because of how they detox alcoholics, they give them benzo's because it acts on the gaba system. so basically they're all cross tolerant to a significant degree that switching wouldn't really aid you.

I think alcohol primarily acts on GABA B as opposed to benzos which hit GABA A. I'm not sure about cross tolerance between alcohol and benzodiazepines, I imagine there is some, but it's not complete cross tolerance.

No it wont help unless you switch between selective GABA-A alpha subunit agonists. But as nearly all benzo's have high affinity for the alpha1 subunit this is not an easy thing to do. Currently the only benzo (that I know of) that does not have significat affinity for the alpha1 subunit is clobazam. Maby there is some RC benzo that is selective for the alpha 2 and 3 subunit but I don't know for sure.

It would be a better idea to switch to other GABAergic drugs that have less cross tolerance with benzodiazepines like pregabaline or gabapentine.

Don't start with benzos or thienodiazapines.... I just just three days of my life, ended up in the hospital, discharged really quick possibly after being injected with ativan unless they did narcan although I see two IM shots, only to end up running up and down my apartment building screaming that I was dying, and only to end up falling down the stairs leaving me in a lot of pain.... None of which I remember all because somehow the 100 mcg or so doses orally and IV lead to me regressing back to suicidal tendencies only to end up attempting to off myself overdosing none of which I remember.

Seriously just get some weed. It might actually do you good instead of destroying your life.

Don't start with benzos or thienodiazapines.... I just just three days of my life, ended up in the hospital, discharged really quick possibly after being injected with ativan unless they did narcan although I see two IM shots, only to end up running up and down my apartment building screaming that I was dying, and only to end up falling down the stairs leaving me in a lot of pain.... None of which I remember all because somehow the 100 mcg or so doses orally and IV lead to me regressing back to suicidal tendencies only to end up attempting to off myself overdosing none of which I remember.

Seriously just get some weed. It might actually do you good instead of destroying your life.

Shit dude, I'm glad you're ok.

I do the same thing I switch from klonopin to Valium to Xanax to Ativan but idk about lowering tolerance id say use the benefit of feeling a "new high/feeling" from switching the benzos and taking a lower dose by a little that's what I do so I take 15 mg Valium one day next day 1 mg kpin which is 10 mg Valium equivalent

If you take benzo's each day you will get addicted sooner or later - it doesn't matter that you are switching between different types of benzo's, you will still develop an addiction.

That being said, after having been addicted to benzo's for some time, I have decreased my dosages down to a very low dosage (Between 5 - 10 mg Diazepam or 0,5 - 1 mg Clonazepam). Every now and again I change my prescription so I get Clonazepam in one period and Diazepam or something else in another period. Just when I switch I somehow feel the calming effects of the benzo's a little better. But really, considering the low dosage I take most of it is probably placebo.

Why do you wish to start taking benzo's? They are not that recreational if that is what you are looking for. Considering the severity of withdrawal symptoms benzo's are not worth taking unless you really need them for what ever medical purpose.

@Ignio answered your questions pretty well,

but in summary to this :
Using any benzo that excessively is not my goal anyway. I was just wondering (mostly for the sake of the financial costs!) whether you could keep tolerance down by switching from benzo to benzo so as to avoid consecutive use of any one kind of benzo.

If you're going to be using benzos on consecutive days, even if you switch them up, the financial cost is the least of your worries. Can't stress highly enough not to take them daily for more than 2-4 weeks at a time, give yourself months off and the price shouldn't even be a concern.

I took benzos sparingly for a while until it somehow became an everyday thing. It's easy to fall into addiction without even realising it until you're laid in bed wishing you were dead.
They're hardly recreational anyway and it's just not worth the risk.

Why do you wish to start taking benzo's? They are not that recreational if that is what you are looking for. Considering the severity of withdrawal symptoms benzo's are not worth taking unless you really need them for what ever medical purpose.

Mostly I want to take benzos to help with general insomnia/lack of sleep, but also for helping with narcotic comedowns and actually letting me get some sleep the night after a roll. Weed doesn't do it for me, I usually find smoking weed to exacerbate a comedown and it doesn't help me sleep at all, instead it gives me sleep apnea so every time I might be fading into slumber I wake up gasping for air. But I would also like to take benzos for recreational purposes too. A few of you here are saying that benzos aren't very recreational, that kind of sucks. They're still pretty fun though right? A couple xanax, some good weed and a few Nos canisters has got to be good? Or no?

Benzodiazepines are useless unless you really have a bad time (panic attacs or stress) and need support for like a week or so. ! But mixing xanax day and valium night is better than only one of them all day ! When I said mix in my other post I didnt mean like 6 benzos taken randomly, That would be stupid !.

I suggest people to not touch those drugs and wait till they create a better one. If no one buys then they (pharma co.) will HAVE TO develope another group of drugs more efficient to regain their precious clients. If we work in groups all around the world and stop using benzos (except vital conditions!) I bet we will have new drugs in 3-4 years instead of forever !

<snip>
anyway stay away from them or do just one kind for a day not ten kinds you will enjoy the buzz so much thats why most of us still take them on benzo websites

Last edited by a moderator:
^Guys, sourcing is not allowed. See this as your first warning. Next time you'll get an infraction.