• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health avoiding morning grogginess w/ mirtazapine

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
other than weight gain — i’m underweight so don’t care — it seems like morning grogginess — sounds horrible — is the most commonly complained about side effect with this drug.

my doc said take it an hour or two before bed. i strive for eight hours of sleep a night, no more or less. is 10 hours long enough to not wake up feeling groggy? if not, how long does it take?

open to hear any additional comments on mirtazapine.

thanks

I'm not sure as I haven't taken it. However yes, it seems that weight gain is usually a side effect, and morning grogginess. I have read some really freaky-sounding reports on Erowid about it giving realistic and horrifying nightmares that seem completely real, but I have also read of it working well for people.

That grogginess goes away for many people.

I'd say an hour before bed, definitely at first, so that you can test the waters.

It's just time that will help, I'd wager. Your body needs to get used to the medication.

Ya know, I'd shy away towards the worst of stories, or any of them at that (in my opinion). Let it be your own experience.

I don't remember any morning grogginess but I did get the vivid nightmares. I think that's the only reason I quit taking it but it was quite a few years ago.

check on the grogginess and vivid dreams. hope the antidepressant effects kick in, because these are side effects i can live with. kinda wanna take another, go back to bed, and see where i end up. might start contributing to the LAVA dream thread.

Grogginess?!? Nightmares?!?

Mirtazapine doesn't make me tired at all and I only take it because it takes away my Nightmares, which are sometimes really disgusting and frightening, especially when I've taken my prescription Medication Hydromorphone/Oxycodone or plain Diamorphine...(even though that's not the rule of thumb, as I'm having them also when I'm completely/or mostly sober)!

Mirtazapine (btw) doesn't anything else than that for me, as in ABSOLUTELY nothing! I've experienced no mood-lift or whatever...

grogginess is completely gone.

not sure if it’s helping with depression, but i cannot stop eating kitkat bars. and one night i went to the convenience store and ate an entire bag of chips. not one of those little personal bags. that’s more chips than i’ve eaten in my entire pre-mirtazapine life.

went up to 22.5mg about a month ago. considering discontinuing it and giving lamotragine a try. i’m still a loon. my new psych told me it’s a garbage antidepressant that’s really only used for sleep. didn’t reinforce any positive effects i thought it was giving.

I don't remember any morning grogginess but I did get the vivid nightmares. I think that's the only reason I quit taking it but it was quite a few years ago.
I LOVE vivid nightmares. I love horror movies and "being in" one of them is awesome!

Surprised he said that...
it was a bullshit thing of him to say.

the line between bipolar ii and unipolar depression is bullshit as well. trying to figure out which one is tearing me apart, and doctors are no help. they want to know what the last doctor thought, so they can say that's what they think. or i can tell they're trying to guess what drugs i will and won't take, and then make their diagnoses accordingly. because they'd rather i take the wrong thing than nothing.

i want to give in and try lamotrigine. but i'm afraid, if it doesn't work or stops working, it will make things much worse when i come off of it. also i can't get a clear answer is to whether it will address depression symptoms. i don't care about hypomania or mania except that it may result in depression after. i want depression treated.

Last edited:
I'm not sure as I haven't taken it. However yes, it seems that weight gain is usually a side effect, and morning grogginess. I have read some really freaky-sounding reports on Erowid about it giving realistic and horrifying nightmares that seem completely real, but I have also read of it working well for people.
a lot. of a antipsychotics have those side effects, weight gain, grogginess, etc. Dude I used to be on 5mg olanzapine at night and every single day I took that shit for a month and a half, I had the most vivid and weird/horrible dreams you can imagine. those meds are garbage, after I left that detox center I was in, I stopped taking all of the meds they prescribed me immediately. NZN

I LOVE vivid nightmares. I love horror movies and "being in" one of them is awesome!
Same here just as long as my dreams aren't about my ex-wife, then I'm depressed for the rest of the day. Mirtazapine dreams are the best and it's the only reason I recently started taking it again. Unfortunately I can't remember much about my dreams since my weed is keeping my dreams suppressed.

I haven't had much luck with antidepressants but i take mirtazipine and it actually worked.
It took about 2 months before felt less depressed.
Im skinny too so the weight gain is a non issue.
The morning grogginess went away for me after a few weeks