• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Availability of RU486 Abortion Pill in Aust

The only thing I have against it is the fact that the girl/woman could have it WITHOUT the guys' knowledge. I'm not syaing that it's a man's choice at all so don't start getting all aggressive...

Having, coming from a first hand point of view, knowing you're about to become a father, then the girl getting an abortion WITHOUT letting you know before hand isn't the best situation that you could be in. It's fucked up and I wouldn't wish that feeling on ANYONE...

I think this pill definitely has a place here in Australia. I understand some people's point of view that it makes it much easier to get rid of an unwanted pregnancy, and kinda has the potential to be misused, and I also have misgivings about this. But knowing its not a simple thing of getting the pill off the doctor and going home and all is fine, I believe it will still be somewhat of an ordeal for a woman to go through, just without the added physical ordeal of the surgery, and all that goes with that.

If a woman is going to have the long lasting lesson learned from a surgical abortion, that will help her change her attitude to unprotected sex (I'm not referring to people that find themselves pregnant from rapes and so on in my post here) its not from the physical aspects. Its from having to make that appointment with someone and tell them you've fucked up, you've gotten pregnant and you want out. And then having to deal with those who get you out, and the counselling they give you, etc etc, not taking into consideration your own emotional trauma at being in that situation. From what I understand, this "abortion pill" would require a woman to still go through these types of procedures. And also experience after effects similar to that of a surgical abortion maybe?

In reference to what you said Beatlebot, that is a concern... thus I'd think it would be better off as a prescription only deal, or handed out within a medical clinic (which rural areas might have with a visiting doctor once a week), and women made to have their check ups in the couple of weeks after, just as with a surgical abortion.

If it becomes a case of you get preggas, you go to the chemist, get the little pill to get rid of it, and go on your merry way, then thats where my concerns are. I would like to see some kind of monitoring of the woman who takes it, to ensure her physical well being (as well as her emotional well being of course)

Some questions:

I dont know much about this abortion pill but assume it can be taken well into the pregnancy- as opposed to the morning after pill, which you take before you know you are even pregnant right?

The morning after pill isnt very pleasant itself so I doubt the "abortion pill" would be a walk in the park. So you just take it at home and wait to have an induced miscarriage?

Its less invasive but does it insure a complete abortion? Would you need a D&C procedure afterwards anyway?

If its safe etc etc and abortion is legal then it should be available. I might read up on this one.

a few of u wont like my opinion but its an open forum....

i believe that abortion should only be considered if teh child to be is a rape child.... i dont think abortion should be available to just any one... teh only other way i think is if teh parents can genuinely not take care of teh child, ie, (sorry if there is any here but) heroin junkies or something along those lines..

just my personal opinion and i dont try force it on anyone else.

from moebro's link:

The number of deaths of the pregnant woman, mifepristone abortions compare similarly to vacuum aspiration abortion, [1] although this comparison compares the rate of death in vacuum aspiration abortion for both early and late term abortions (the later the abortion, the higher the risk of death). When compared to similar term abortions, the rate of death to the pregnant woman is double that of vacuum aspiration abortion.

On July 18, 2005, Danco Laboratories admitted that there have been five deaths of women due to bacterial infection following treatment with RU-486 in the previous five years [2]. The death cases were presumably related to vaginal application of the misoprostol, which is an "off-label use" but practised by abortion clinics. [3]

It is often suggested that an abortion will increase the risk of breast cancer and depression in women. These statements have been widely refuted by the National Breast Cancer Centre and the National Cancer Institute National Cancer Institute

Hmmmz...from reading that I dont know if this pill is such a good idea after all.....at least with vaccuum abortions it is a complete job and most times a one off. What if this pill doesnt work as it should?

ian_strong said:
a few of u wont like my opinion but its an open forum....

i believe that abortion should only be considered if teh child to be is a rape child.... i dont think abortion should be available to just any one... teh only other way i think is if teh parents can genuinely not take care of teh child, ie, (sorry if there is any here but) heroin junkies or something along those lines..

just my personal opinion and i dont try force it on anyone else.

My parents were herion junkies. They did the most beautiful job bringing me up to the best of their abilities and I love them more than the groud itself.

How dare you.

breakyaself, like i said just a personal opinion dont wanna offend anyone just how i feel

well i cant believe that it isnt available here!
it seems to be everywhere else!
and while it should definately not be used at contraception, it is definately much better option for women who are too ashamed or dont have the money to go to an abortion clinic.
but people need to understand that it is a personal choice and that sometimes this is a lot easier than going through a horrific, emotional surcigal procedure.

although the info zephyr has posted suggests there is the possibilty of it being more risk of things going wrong, think of the things that CAN'T go wrong from an abortion pill that can go wrong with surgical abortion. One being perforation of the uterus.

If I were in a position that I had an unwanted pregnancy, and if I were to choose to terminate (I say if, because I know that until one is placed in that position they can't say for sure how they'd react), and I could choose, I'd probably choose the pill, and not the surgery. Even with the above information known.

I'd like to see a woman going into the doctor's and given a choice with all the facts at hand. There is choice a, and choice b. Here are all the possible side effects of both, and the known complications rates of both. Here is what both entail. And for the woman to decide accordingly. If she does have complications she made the decision knowing the possibilities (yes I appreciate it that doesn't matter in time of grief to family and friends!), but at the end of the day its her informed decision.

Very similar actually to the whole idea of making informed decisions on drug use, which, ironically, is what has probably brought most of us to Bluelight.

...One of the sponsors of the bill, Democrats Leader Lyn Allison, said she was "cautiously confident" she had the numbers in parliament to overturn the current arrangements when a conscience vote takes place next Thursday, the day after the committee is due to report its findings...

... Dr Leslie Cannold, an ethicist from Reproductive Choice Australia, said she wanted people to know RU486 could also treat a range of serious disorders including some forms of prostate cancer, breast cancer, inoperable brain tumours and other conditions.

"I think one of the untold stories of this debate is how seriously very sick Australians have been affected by this ban," Dr Cannold said....
from news.com.au

breakyaself said:
How dare you.

Oh my, way to take things personally.
Try not jumping to conclusions as to whom the posts were meant for or what the intention of the poster is. It might help a little.

^agreed.
ian_strong was saying if they can't genuinely take care of the child, and it'd be true that a lot of junkies wouldn't or couldn't provide a good home for a child.

breaka your parents obviously could and that's wonderful for them (and you :)) but it certainly wasn't a personal attack.

kryalkastleE said:
but people need to understand that it is a personal choice
I think they're the magic words. Assuming that this pill is of comparitive safety to the abortion methods we're already using, then really why shouldn't it be available?

Personally I don't like abortion. I'm glad that it's not something I'm ever going to have to worry about affecting me personally, because I have seen friends and family who have had to go through with it and seen the stress it causes. But I don't judge anybody for choosing it, and I wouldn't presume to enforce my opinions on their life.

Abortion is already a legal procedure in this country; the only factor that should come into how it's done should be safety and accessability.

I think that, if proved safe, the pros outweigh the cons. There are women who fall pregnant, and choose not to go through with it, for whatever reason. Sometimes they're put on a waiting list for a termination, and have to deal with morning sickness or worse, hyperemesis (24 hour sickness), etc. That's not fair, as far as i'm concerned. People have mentioned that these women should have to go through that, as well as the trauma of surgery, so that they won't make the same "mistake" again. What about the women who used contraception, but it didn't work? What the hell else could they do? The contraception failed.

I am concerned at the women who will use this pill as another form of contraception (like condoms, the pill, etc), and i think there should be regulations placed on how many times women can access this before there is an intervention by healthcare professionals to discuss other avenues (using condoms, etc), but to penalise all women (including responsible ones who had the misfortune of using a weak condom or whatever) is simply unfair.

josh_nexus said:
It isn't a moral or even a political issue. It should be allowed or banned based on sound scientific evidence, by professionals at the TGA. It certainly should not be left in the hands of an MP who's views are based entirely apon a religious conviction.

Thank you for expressing my thoughts better than I could of done myself.

What happens to the child (and mother) if the pill is taken too far into the pregnancy??

Ok, I'm going to answer this one!!

Having had two terminations in my life and also having two children I'm going to say that it probably is a lot easier than having a surgical termination the abortion pill - however I do feel that it would be made that its not an over the counter drug and that it would be on prescription. I admit I haven't read up on the pill itself however having a surgical termination isn't a walk in the park either. With my first termination the clinic told me I was 8 weeks - that's fine - I waited the 3 weeks that they suggested however I was actually 15 weeks and had to have a different type of termination over 2 days - so yes - I had half one day, and half the next day! Horrific! I have my reasons for having one - namely having broken up with the guy who was violently abusing me - I was 19 and had no desire to bring a child up alone! They guy who took me to the clinic was very supportive (he was a great friend of mine at the time) however it was and endure the right to lifers thinking it was his baby - pretty horrible on him too and because he basically had to watch me for 48 hours! Not fun! I would have loved something simplier - a pill - it was emotionally and physically painful!

My second, I had just started in a relationship - was on the pill - however being incredibly fertile - I got pregant! I had the termination at 9 weeks and unfortunately felt nothing - no pain at all! It was pretty simple and I had hardly felt a thing! They do say though, that 3 or more terminations can cause problems later on - I've been told that both by the clinics I had my terminations at and also later on when pregnant for my children! As far as they can tell, my terminations didn't effect my pregnancies at all!

I am going to say though, that if you are pregnant and you don't want the child, the abortion pill would probably cost a lot less than a surgical termination (I think I was out of pocket $200 + and that was over 6 years ago) and a hell of a lot cheaper than an unwanted child! the other thing I look at is, its a lot more easier to go and take a pill than it is to go into a clinic! I still remember the pro lifer's out the front of the clinic both times I went - hounding me with pictures of babies and infomation about how I was killing a child! These Pro Lifers had no idea what circumstances I was in, whether I was carrying a child of rape or domestic abuse - no idea at all - yet they were there trying to drag me off to show me photos of what I was doing! That sort of scaring you don't forget! I rarely think of my terminations yet I can remember the posters that the right to lifers had of babies in tummies! When looking at it from that perspective I would much rather go to a doctor where no one knows what I'm there for - then onto a chemist to pick up a script - where the customers don't know what I'm doing!

josh_nexus said:
It isn't a moral or even a political issue. It should be allowed or banned based on sound scientific evidence, by professionals at the TGA. It certainly should not be left in the hands of an MP who's views are based entirely apon a religious conviction.

Totally agree with this.I'll add:-

So there will be a conscience vote involving this government.Don't you need to have a conscience first.

Finally,I'm surprised any one from this government knows about RU486 .They don't seem to know about much else.