• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol australia what prescription drug will help alcohol withdrawal?? plz help!

I'm not from AUS but I'm sure you guys have benzodiazepines with long durations like valium or even GABA-B drugs like baclofen. If not then look for drugs indicated for epilepsy/seizure.

inb4 crikey
inb4 shrimp on the barbie

I'm not from AUS but I'm sure you guys have benzodiazepines with long durations like valium or even GABA-B drugs like baclofen. If not then look for drugs indicated for epilepsy/seizure.

inb4 crikey
inb4 shrimp on the barbie

thanks for your reply, and we don't call them shrimp, we call them prawns hahaha =D

If you are having alcohol width-draws and want a medication, just ask your doctor or physician. They're the best source of knowledge that will help you legally obtain a prescription that can help you through withdrawal.

The same drugs as they use in the rest of the developed world, benzodiazepines in conjunction with things like clonidine to control your blood pressure and make you a little more comfortable. From what I've read, in Australia Oxazepam is a much more common choice than here in the United States. It's prescribed here for the same reason, just not as commonly. Here Chlordiazepoxide (Librium) and Diazepam (Valium) are a little bit more common. All 3 are benzodiazepines with relatively long half-lives. They will, generally speaking, mimic the sedative/hypnotic effects of ethanol to make the withdrawal syndrome less of a shock to your CNS. This is important, seeing that there is a spectrum of severity regarding the withdrawal symptoms ranging from mild discomfort/anxiety to things much more severe like Delirium Tremens ("Shaking Frenzy" including vivid hallucinations and full-on CNS shock) or Status Epilepticus.

Luckily, you don't need to worry about any of this mumbo-jumbo, because you live in a developed nation (with a far superior, all inclusive health-care system) in which Hospitals and Medical Centers are legally and ethically required to keep you both alive and in relative safety. Just go to the ER if you fear that your alcohol dependence is on the severe side.

Just as a follow-up, as going to the hospital is a preferable option, how much alcohol are you consuming on an average day? Let's keep it to standard drinks, we don't need any of that funky metric-system nonsense further infecting our sweet "red, white and blue".

quite a bit. every day it starts about 10am and have about 6-14 beers then im into the scotch ,, or whichever i consume today ill have the other the next, its just a vicious cycle im ok most of the time but once a month i'll wake up and be in hospital and not remember a thing. when i try to stop i last 2-3 days but go back due to not sleeping, not eating and having really bad anxiety.

australia what prescription drug will help alcohol withdrawal?? plz help!

You're going through a physician/clinic to withdraw safely, right? Please, have a friend stay over, or stay with family the first week.

Anticonvulsants and benzos will be your best friends during this time, but you have to find the right dosage to keep the seizure risk low.

Good luck to you!

I lost a friend "K" few years ago to seizure after quitting CT. She was a heavy, heavy drinker while we were gaming online...daylight to dark, and then some. Her husband found her in bed after coming home from 3rd shift.

Hi. I've been there mate. Really feel for you. In the U.K Rehab wards. Valium/Diazepam is given every 4 hrs at 20mg for a maximum of 3 days. Then it's down to good old will power!! Very good luck to you. If you're allergic then another drug called benzo-chlordiazepoxide is used.

Last edited:
If you'd like to PM me please do! I'd like to help in anyway I can. At my worst I drank 2 bottles vodka daily. Withdrawal was horrible, frightening & I'm not going back there!! You need medical assistance. Cold turkey is extremely dangerous when drinking at your levels daily with a risk of status epilepticus (basically a fit you don't come out of, ending with death)! Sorry, frightening I know, just telling it like it is! I tried countless times. Reading a book called The Art of Happiness by H.H Dalai Lama changed my mindset & my life! Sober 5 years now! Kindest wishes.

Last edited:
Go to a detox/rehab that's run by medical professionals, or at the very least talk to a doctor or physician and don't try to detox from alcohol on your own people have died this way. Good luck.

Try looking into a drug labeled 'Antabuse'.

Basically, you take it once a day, and if you ever drink while your on it..you will be sick as fuck.

thanks everyone for the replys, this has given me alot to think about, and when i do stop or go without out it for awhile it will be for good.

Im From Oz too mate, and have been threw the Hell that is alcohol withdrawal, as I was a severe alco for 15 years..., One word Diazepam or if the docs wont give you that oxazepam will make do, Will help with anxiety, insomnia muscle tension and all the other shitty symptoms, be strong, best of luck to u. I have been sober for 5 years now so its possible.

How long would you say you've been physically addicted? And how long does it generally take for the withdrawal symptoms to kick in? I recently kicked my addiction to alcohol, and I feel for you. That shit is hard! Everyone who says you seek out professional medical care is absolutely right, but I also understand the desire to just get some medicine to ease the withdrawal symptoms and get through it myself.

Based on my experiences, I'll give some advice on the safest way to go about detoxing from alcohol at home if that's the plan after acquiring medication. I'm far from an expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt, and definitely do as much research as you possibly can.

Firstly, I want to make it clear that I don't recommend that anyone detox this way! I've detoxed both at home and in the hospital in the past, and there's numerous reasons not to do it at home. However, if someone is gonna do it, they may as well know how to go about it more safely.

Detoxing at home can be a possible (I did it once), albeit it's a lot harder and much more dangerous than simply seeking proper medical attention. Make sure you have at least a good 5 days free to do so, since you're not going to be very productive during the process. Even after the worst of it, you'll likely still have lingering withdrawal symptoms for a while. Even about two months after my detox at a hospital, I still suffer from heightened anxiety. If you happen to be dead-set on detoxing without professional help, I can't possibly stress how absolutely vital it is to have at least one person who is constantly around and monitoring you for at least 3 to 4 days. Alcohol withdrawals are very very serious, and can easily lead to death. Especially if you experience symptoms as severe as seizures while alone.

Also, having someone there to help keep you well nourished is important. You need to make sure you eat if you can, and more importantly, stay hydrated. Vitamins are also very good as your body is/will probably be deficient due to lack of a proper diet. Now the bad anxiety, sleeplessness, lack of appetite, nausea and plenty of other symptoms of withdrawals are going to be unavoidable to a degree. That's why no one considers it fun. Like people have said, benzodiazepines (Xanax, Ativan, Valium, etc..) are enormously helpful (if not necessary), for getting through withdrawals. Anti-seizure medicine is also probably a good idea depending on how severe your symptoms are. Hopefully you're in a situation where you can acquire these medicines.

Since you drink quite a bit, it'd be pretty advisable to try tapering off some before going cold turkey at home. The more dependent you are on alcohol, the more likely you are to experience fatal symptoms when you completely stop drinking. If you acquire benzodiazepines (or any other medication to ease withdrawals), make sure not to mix them with alcohol! The last thing your body needs is more stress and potential for death.

All that being said, I'm in no way recommending detoxing from an alcohol addiction without the help of professional medical care. I was lucky (stupid) enough to do it once successfully with the support of my family, and it gave me the false belief that I could detox again just as easily in the future. Long story short, 3 months later I was attempting another detox alone in my apartment. The withdrawals were worse this time, and the symptoms became bad enough that I finally realized death was a very real possibility if I didn't walk my ass to the hospital.

So if you really don't want to seek professional medical care, I understand the feeling. Just please take my advice by doing it as safely as you possibly can, and definitely don't do it alone! It requires research, and having a solid plan with a good support system. It's crucial make sure you don't take alcoholism lightly; before, during, or after detoxing. I learned the hard way that when a large majority of advice regarding a situation like this consists of "go to the hospital, dummy", you should probably just listen to it.

Really though, based on the sheer amount to drink mixed with with mysteriously waking up in a hospital once a month, I very strongly suggest you should seek proper medical care. Doctors can run tests on you to find out exactly what's going on inside your body. That gives them the ability care for it properly by supplying you with necessary medicine, in addition to nutrients your body is/will likely be deficient in.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. I know you're really just curious about what medications to acquire, but that's how my whole detox experience began, so I hope some of this proves useful. Regardless of how you go about it, I wish you all the luck in the world! I hated requiring alcohol to function normally. It's a very rough process to go through, but it feels really good to wake up and start my day with a normal breakfast instead of a bottle of vodka.