Recruiting [AUS/USA] Anonymous Online Survey about Alcohol and other Drug Use (Lucky draw incentive!)

UOWresearcher

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,

My name is Melvin Goh and I am a PhD researcher in the School of Psychology at the University of Wollongong, Australia.

My PhD research focuses on improving the health and well-being of people impacted by alcohol and other drugs via health risk communication. I am seeking to survey people living in Australia and the United States of America (USA) about their alcohol and other drug use, health and well-being, health behaviours, and the impact of COVID-19 (UOW Ethics Approval No. 2019/183).

What’s involved?

You are invited to complete an anonymous online survey about your use of a range of substances, health and well-being, health behaviours, and COVID-19. The survey may take up to 20 minutes, although some people may complete it faster.

To be eligible to participate, you will need to:

• Be aged 18 and above living in Australia or the USA;
  • Have had problems with illicit drugs or alcohol and/or have attended alcohol or other drugs (AOD) treatment in the past 12 months.
Please visit the following link (http://bit.ly/HEARDstudy) to participate or to get more information on the survey.

Eligible participants who complete the entire survey can enter a prize draw to win one of five $50 Amazon gift cards (currency based on location).

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thank you to everyone who took the time to read my post and complete my survey :)

Sounds like a great project. I hope members can help you out. I noticed you only ask for participants with drug problems or who have attended treatment.

Is that likely to skew the results and potentially overstate the problematic issues with drugs if there are large numbers of people using drugs but not having problems?

Just curious. I’m interested in survey design.

Hi Atelier3,

Thank you for your kind words!

I believe having participants who use drugs but not have problems is unlikely to skew the results or overstate the problematic issues with drugs. Unfortunately I can't explain in detail without compromising the integrity/validity of the study. Once recruitment has completed, I will come back and answer your question again!

I apologise and hope you understand.

Melvin

Hi Melvin. Best of luck with your research! I imagine the contrast will be quite stark between AUS and US experiences over this period. Looking forward to seeing the findings.