Published [AUS] Seeking Australians who use drugs for survey on COVID-19 and drug use/markets

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
Hi everyone

Here is a new study, launched today, for Australians who use drugs. I'm one of the co-investigators.
The study is led by Dr Amy Peacock, who leads the Drug Trends program of research at NDARC, UNSW - my old employer :)
The study has received ethics approval.
The study begins TODAY! End date - it's a 3 year cohort study. Not sure yet when the first recruitment period ends but I'll update the thread when it does.
Exclusion criteria - you need to be living in Australia. You need to have used drugs (any illegal ones) monthly or more often in the year 2019 to qualify.
There are prize draws for participation as mentioned below.
Survey takes about 20 minutes to complete. You can choose to do the one off survey or be contacted later for follow-up surveys.

See below for all the details!

Any questions, just ask.

Australians’ Drug use: Adapting to Pandemic Threats (ADAPT) Study

Researchers from the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre are looking for Australians aged 18 or older who used illicit drugs (e.g., cannabis, MDMA, heroin, non-prescribed benzodiazepines) regularly in 2019 to share their experiences during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond.

Participants who complete the confidential online survey can enter a prize draw to win one of 20 $100 GiftPay vouchers.

The survey covers a range of topics, including COVID-19 experiences, drug use, harm reduction behaviour, and access to treatment and support services.

You can opt to complete one 20-min survey or multiple short surveys over 3 years.

Your participation will help to minimise harms experienced by people who use drugs and to develop tips and strategies to stay safe and healthy during this time.

Visit www.adaptstudy.org.au or contact the team via [email protected]

Last edited:
Ah i saw that and realised so deleted. I doubt I will commit to the length of time so not for me

This study has now closed recruitment. There will be a bulletin published very soon with first pass findings. I'll link to that here when available!

Thanks to everyone who took part.

Hi everyone

Here is a new study, launched today, for Australians who use drugs. I'm one of the co-investigators.
The study is led by Dr Amy Peacock, who leads the Drug Trends program of research at NDARC, UNSW - my old employer :)
The study has received ethics approval.
The study begins TODAY! End date - it's a 3 year cohort study. Not sure yet when the first recruitment period ends but I'll update the thread when it does.
Exclusion criteria - you need to be living in Australia. You need to have used drugs (any illegal ones) monthly or more often in the year 2019 to qualify.
There are prize draws for participation as mentioned below.
Survey takes about 20 minutes to complete. You can choose to do the one off survey or be contacted later for follow-up surveys.

See below for all the details!

Any questions, just ask.
By "illegal" do you mean must be meth/smack/weed, or do illegally obtained pharmaceuticals count?

By "illegal" do you mean must be meth/smack/weed, or do illegally obtained pharmaceuticals count?

Gamp its concluded.. you need to getup earlier. Much earlier if your going to resume writing? and i'm jonesing to read some?

Very quickly, the ADAPT team has published its first bulletin.

Summary below:

• The ADAPT sample comprised mostly young, well-educated capital city dwellers. Being a
convenience sample, findings from the ADAPT study cannot be considered representative of
all people that use drugs.
• Cannabis and alcohol use had most commonly increased relative to before March 2020,
while use of MDMA, cocaine and ketamine had most commonly decreased.
• Participants reported engaging in a range of behaviours to reduce the risk of contracting
COVID-19 and/or minimise impact of COVID-19 restrictions since March 2020, including
washing hands before handling drugs/money and avoiding sharing drug equipment.
• More than half of participants reported poorer mental health in the past four weeks relative
to before March 2020, with almost two-fifths reporting that they had accessed help for
mental health reasons in the past four weeks.
• A small proportion of the sample reported that they had tried but been unable to access
drug treatment and/or mental health services post March 2020.

Gamp its concluded.. you need to getup earlier. Much earlier if your going to resume writing? and i'm jonesing to read some?
You"re right - you are RIGHT!

Actually have posted some writing in the "Words" section ...working title "The Job" it's meant to be a horror story about a lawyer who has literally sold his soul. Although so far is mostly reminiscence about truly Satanic lawyer I worked for once

But... if you'd care to read it I'd be honoured!

HONEST feedback would be much valued: I don't get offended or shattered by negative comments. If things are crap I'd rather know.

No pressure though <3 it is kinda long ... See link below:

Another Bluelighter who read it described it as "all over the place but worthwhile amd suggested editing. Am going to finish that today.

Actually have posted some writing in the "Words" section ...working title "The Job" it's meant to be a horror story about a lawyer who has literally sold his soul. Although so far is mostly reminiscence about truly Satanic lawyer I worked for once

HONEST feedback would be much valued: I don't get offended or shattered by negative comments. If things are crap I'd rather know.

Another Bluelighter who read it described it as "all over the place but worthwhile amd suggested editing. Am going to finish that today.
PS actually for both our sakes (!) maybe don't read above as the edited one is much snazzier, and concise ...will post in "Words" when

[/QUOTE
Ps actually wait till I have posted new version - much better (and shorter) - will send link when done ...