Writing-up [AUS] [NSW & Qld] Brief intervention for adult ecstasy users

schizoaffective

Greenlighter
(Updating to match newest ad on pillreports for this study)

Do you use ecstasy?

Come talk to us...

Your participation will involve completing an e-check-up at our Sydney office, or Brisbane office followed by 3 follow up assessments. You will be reimbursed $25-40 per interview. Research participation is confidential. This project has been fully approved by UNSW’s Human Ethics Committee.

We are closing recruitment for this study soon.

For more information please contact:

For Sydney:

Laila
Ph: 02 9385 0215
Email: [email protected]

For Brisbane:

Christina

Ph: 0435 965 589 or 07 3138 6023

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting, schizoaffective.

Are they still needing people? If so pls shoot me a pm and I will do a promo for them in ED.

Hi MazDan. Yes it's still recruiting - I'm PM you!

Intervention??? Sounds like they don't want people to quit the drug. To bad I don't live in Vic cause I'd love to see what they have to say.

I know the add was posted months ago but with no cut off date provided i need to ask if you still need people?

They will still looking for people at the end of August. I would suggest emailing them if you are interested.

[AUS] [Qld] Ecstasy users wanted for QUT study

As seen in the Brisbane Times today
Link: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/ecstasy-users-wanted-for-qut-study-20101123-185ey.html

Just what goes through the minds of young ecstasy users may soon be revealed by researchers in Queensland.

A Queensland University of Technology study team says it has gained an insight into the experiences of 50 people who have recently taken the party drug. They have also examined the effects on their brains.

Now they want to interview a further 50 ecstasy users to broaden their research before publishing the findings.

Advertisement: Story continues below Lead researcher Leanne Hides said the information could be valuable in attempts to reduce ecstasy use and perceptions that it was relatively safe.

“There’s a really high level of social acceptance amongst young people around ecstasy use,” Dr Hides said.

“There’s a lot of psychological dependency with it; a lot of young people won’t go out on the weekend or to festivals without taking ecstasy.

“The only thing not stopping it increasing rapidly is that it’s not good quality product out there at the moment.”

Ecstasy, a mix of amphetamines than cause greater energy and alertness, and hallucinogens that can alter perception of reality, is one of the most commonly used drugs in Australia.

Dr Hides said 5 per cent of 14-19 year olds and 11 per cent of 20-29 year olds had used ecstasy in the past year.

She said it was concerning that many users took the drug when their brain was still developing and warned ecstasy use would increase over summer and the upcoming music festival season.

"One of the big concerns is when it’s mixed with alcohol. Ecstasy interacts with alcohol so users drink more because they don't feel drunk - they are alert but clumsy, which produces safety issues," she said.

"On top of this they are sleep-deprived, and this slows down their response time."

Researchers are seeking an additional 50 adults who have used ecstasy in the three months prior to participating in the confidential survey.

They will be asked about their drug habits, experiences while high and how they feel about their drug usage.

Information about the effects of ecstasy will be provided to all participants.

Dr Hides said preliminary results of the first 50 surveys showed users were most concerned about the quality of their pills.

"Most users' key concern is they might not be getting [ecstasy] but some other drug,” Dr Hides said.

“The most common additives or substitutes are ketamine which are used as horse tranquilisers, mephedrone and PMA, which are more toxic.”

To participate in the study, email [email protected]

Laila/NDARC are still seeking participants for this study. This is only for people living in Sydney, Australia.

Do you use ecstasy?

Come talk to us...

Your participation will involve completing an e-check-up at our Sydney office, followed by 3 follow up assessments. You will be reimbursed $25-40 per interview. Research participation is confidential. This project has been fully approved by UNSW’s Human Ethics Committee.

We are closing recruitment for this study soon.

For more information please contact Laila:
Ph: 02 9385 0215 or