• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction at a loss of what to do /anxiety

XANAX XR

Bluelighter
I am at a loss for what to use for anxiety... I'm on tenex (for physical symptoms of my severe anxiety). My psychologist tells me there's not much they can do for anxiety and I am in recovery of drug use, so benzos are not an option (and I don't want them).

I was on remeron, stopped taking it yesterday... I feel loads better.

So, I've been on a huge search for an anxiety med that works without tons of side effects... Gabapentin reduced my anxiety but didn't take the edge off.. Lamictal has too many side effects, so does depakote, but would they be WORTH a try?

Would pregabalin be worth a try..? (if gabapentin barely did anything for me)

--sorry for the messy post, i can't think straight at all anymore and I feel like i'm living a movie. was just in a psych ward, going through a break up and med switches... hopefully i'll be clear-headed once again without benzos.
(labelled it HR because I don't want any abuse-able substances listed, i.e.; benzos, opiates)

Phenibut is a god send.

I only use it two days a week, being the weekend.

With that being said, I can live looking forward to those two days.

Don't test your luck with high doses and daily use...

Phenibut is a god send.

I only use it two days a week, being the weekend.

With that being said, I can live looking forward to those two days

Don't test your luck with high doses and daily use...

I've looked into it, for awhile actually. (Rec. use)
I wouldn't use it for anxiety because I need something that takes the edge off everyday so I can sustain a job and not worry so god damn much about the dumbest shit..

and not be a paranoid lunatic about my ex-girlfriend, I have severe BPD (not diagnosed for some reason).

even w/o my recent break up bothering the shit out of me, my anxiety is unbearable.

Why are you against benzo's? I Know there addictive but pretty much everything that will help you will be, and ya don't have to take them daily just when it gets bad, but your doc is being a butt cuz you use to do drugs I guese.. Anyway, I to have used Gabapentin for anxiety and finds it pretty much gets rid of it at around 1800mg, never have tried Pregablin, want to try Phenibut for my anxiety, since my benzo's and gaba have dryed up for right now...that was 3 weeks of mental hell, or I guese that's what was going on was lack of gaba drugs...But also, you could try Kava Kava, heard it works a little bit..

Edit: Hydroxyzine, it's an anti-histamine that's non-addictive they give for anxiety. It might help, I didn't get any relief from it though.

Why are you against benzo's? I Know there addictive but pretty much everything that will help you will be, and ya don't have to take them daily just when it gets bad, but your doc is being a butt cuz you use to do drugs I guese.. Anyway, I to have used Gabapentin for anxiety and finds it pretty much gets rid of it at around 1800mg, never have tried Pregablin, want to try Phenibut for my anxiety, since my benzo's and gaba have dryed up for right now...that was 3 weeks of mental hell, or I guese that's what was going on was lack of gaba drugs...But also, you could try Kava Kava, heard it works a little bit..

Edit: Hydroxyzine, it's an anti-histamine that's non-addictive they give for anxiety. It might help, I didn't get any relief from it though.

hydroxyzine didn't even touch my anxiety :/

and I don't want benzos because they catch up to me and I abuse the fuck out of them... usually. plus, my doc wouldn't prescribe em!

hm.. i assume so you've used most of the traditional anxiety meds and they dont work so much for you. i'm the same way, the only thing that helps me is benzos.. but I also know exactly what you mean with the benzos, i know why they're not an option. I'll tell you about Seroquel / Quetiapine, but i wont recommend it unless you seriously need it. It's an antipsychotic / tranquillizing medication which i have some low dose experience with as a sleep aid. it did reliably stop my fear and anxiety, very well actually.. but at the expense of turning me into a lethargic zombie.

It has so many side effects and it's really not a good drug to take. it has NO recreational potential. you will reliably pass the fuck out at night when taking it and be comfortable in your own skin the next day, maybe even confident. but it has a negative stigma on this forum and rightly so. the side effects are definitely a trade off. it's a strong antipsychotic, originally intended for use in psychiatric wards to tranquilize people experiencing very neurotic and intense psychosis. But its still used for a reason, there are some people who need it. its something to bring up with your doc if all else fails.

It sounds corny but have you gotten into meditation? That can help a lot with anxiety; but you have to do it consistently or over time.

Exercise can also help some people.

I know people with lots of anxiety who found that a low dose of an SSRI like lexapro or zoloft helped them a lot.

Talk to your doctor about this, good luck.

hm.. i assume so you've used most of the traditional anxiety meds and they dont work so much for you. i'm the same way, the only thing that helps me is benzos.. but I also know exactly what you mean with the benzos, i know why they're not an option. I'll tell you about Seroquel / Quetiapine, but i wont recommend it unless you seriously need it. It's an antipsychotic / tranquillizing medication which i have some low dose experience with as a sleep aid. it did reliably stop my fear and anxiety, very well actually.. but at the expense of turning me into a lethargic zombie.

It has so many side effects and it's really not a good drug to take. it has NO recreational potential. you will reliably pass the fuck out at night when taking it and be comfortable in your own skin the next day, maybe even confident. but it has a negative stigma on this forum and rightly so. the side effects are definitely a trade off. it's a strong antipsychotic, originally intended for use in psychiatric wards to tranquilize people experiencing very neurotic and intense psychosis. But its still used for a reason, there are some people who need it. its something to bring up with your doc if all else fails.

Seroquel didn't do much for me, sadly not an option.

It sounds corny but have you gotten into meditation? That can help a lot with anxiety; but you have to do it consistently or over time.

Exercise can also help some people.

I would like to echo these sentiments. Meditation and exercise are two of the most useful natural tools for overcoming anxiety. Almost nobody wants to hear this (especially because it's easier to just pop a pill) but damned if it isn't the truth. You have to do them consistently in order to get the maximum value out of it.

I would also like to recommend CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) with a trained psychotherapist.

As far as substances go, Gabapentin and Lyrica are both fairly easy to get prescribed. Phenibut is also available online. Try not to take any of these every day to avoid starting another problem.

There are some non-addictive natural substances that can help too. Maybe look into L-theanine, kava kava, valerian root, ginseng, chamomile tea, magnesium etc.

Best of luck and PM me if you need to, anxiety can certainly be a tricky bitch sometimes...

If u like gabapentin then try lyrica..its basically gabapentin on steroids..not only killed my anxiety but it also put me in a good mood..and it last a long time.. 300 mg is a good startin dose and i wouldnt take over 900mg because the side effects start occuring and they outweigh the positives.

Last edited:
Probably going to see if pregab. is covered under my insurance and see about it.

I also am ordering supplements (b-complex, valerian, l-theanine, ginseng..etc). Been looking into those for awhile, mostly for sleep and hoping for some stress reduction.