• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Misc Asking African Blue lighters: Are Quaaludes actually prevalent down there?

JoshLobbs

Bluelight Crew
While doing reaserch on queludes i read an artical stateing that Quelude addiction was a popular pasttime in africa. I would like to know if this is the truth or if its just spin-doctors being spin-doctors?

I've wondered this myself too. They're always talking about Mandrax which was the brand name.

Dunno I'd its still prescribed cos SA is cool or I'd if it's made clandestine.,

I've wondered this myself too. They're always talking about Mandrax which was the brand name.

Dunno I'd its still prescribed cos SA is cool or I'd if it's made clandestine.,
Idk abt clandestine manufacturing like one of the precursors is an isomer of nitro-toluine which is like super dangerous.

@dalpat077 Right up your alley. Not the ludes per se , just the location. :geek:

Give dalpat some time, thesis cant be done in an hour... I expect him to come with a spreadsheet of every sedative available on the African market from 1990. to 2020. , with exceptions for those regions and years where wars broke the supply. He could give us averages also - the median age of the user, height, ethnicity, and what is the song that is most often sang by those who used queludes. This shit takes time, but a thorough report will be given. I only hope that he leaves Putin out of this one. Or else I may need some queludes. :ROFLMAO:

Rock on @dalpat077 you know we love you! :D

What is it with you people asking me about drugs? Like how would I know? 😇

It's late here (well for me it is anyway). So in the meantime for your education and amusement I'll leave you with the below i.e. a fairly recent (January 2021) news report from one of our national broadcasters, a link to an article (January 2021) on the African Institute for Security Studies' website, and an episode by HRH Hamilton Morris on the topic.

We can discuss the history and the politics (of this particular drug which actually does have quite a history and some associated politics albeit that they're factually questionable), precursors, synthesis, etc. tomorrow if you like! And all the fun that goes with it!

Not my thing though i.e. to me it's a dirty drug (in more ways than one). I like the finer things in life! But to each their own! :ROFLMAO:

Also not the most profitable drug on the market when compared to the usual suspects.

Anyway. Suffice to say. No spin-doctoring or fake news on this one i.e. it's for real.

HRH Morris decided to make this age restricted so you need to login to YouTube to be able to view. Informative for the most part. Not to mention entertaining at the same time! :ROFLMAO: When you see the dude fall over flat on his face after a good hit you'll get the picture! Doesn't look like fun to me. But again: to each their own! :ROFLMAO:

Oh and yes I do have statistics of drug seizures here (go figure). Just not handy right now. Suffice to say that Mandrax features pretty highly statistically speaking (this in reference to the last post, above this one, that seemed to miraculously and stealthily slip in while I was busy with this teaser! ❤️ )

It's late here (well for me it is anyway).
I knew it will take time, but the whole night... And you don't have to lie, there is nothing to be ashamed of. We asked it and there is nothing wrong with you providing us a read that is at least comprehensive and in-depth as FDAs annual report. That is why I made a cut-off in 2020. - you simply have no official data for 2021 (maybe quarterly?) . And OP dont worry, I am not derailing your thread, tomorrow you will get the full report. This dalpat guy knows his shit. <3

My sincere apologies for my tardiness and for not responding yesterday as promised. That's out-of-character for me to be honest. Just one of those days yesterday I'm afraid. You know those days I'm sure.

Before continuing though: I think some accord me more than my due. And while it's obviously very flattering and very much appreciated: please do bear in mind that I'm no expert on synthesis. In that respect: I'm no better than the next guy with a reliable Internet connection and time on their hands. That said: I've more than a passing or casual interest in narcotics, generally, as well as pharmaceuticals, generally, and do seem to have a knack for research (fueled by a healthy dose of relentlessness bordering on the obsessive). I also do make a best effort attempt to keep myself updated with certain trends and statistics and legislation etc. But I'm no chemistry major. Mind you: there's an irony in that statement that's more than just a little amusing.

But thanks to those that appreciate my work! :)

I'm not quite sure just how much more I can contribute to this topic though. But I'll give it a bash.

Before continuing let me say this:

I stand corrected re: my up-to-date statistics. After much (and I do mean much) searching I cannot, for love nor money, find the statistics to which I was referring in my previous post. And I swear I was looking at them not two weeks ago. But there's, evidently anyway, the very real possibility that I was confusing myself with the DEA's detailed reports and/or those of the UNODC. Maybe I was dreaming too i.e. don't laugh but I've dreamed about the DEA's National Drug Threat Assessment reports more than once (maybe the universe is trying to tell me something! :ROFLMAO: ).

Anyways. While our national crime statistics are indeed released quarterly they do not drill down far enough insofar as drug use and abuse and trafficking is concerned. There's a live feed on law enforcement's website and that details crimes as they are dealt with by law enforcement in real-time and there's details of drug busts every so often, mainly Mandrax I would say, but it's of no use for statistical purposes. And anecdotally: just about every other week there's some or the other Mandrax bust that's gone down as reported by national radio news. Point being: it's prolific. It was ranked number three by the UNODC on the list of choice substances (after Cannabis and Alcohol) (Alcohol coming in top-of-the-pops here i.e. we sure do know how to drink) but things appear to have changed since then i.e. the latest report I can find, dated 2020, but referencing 2018 data, indicates that the substances most used in South Africa include Cannabis, Methaqualone, Methamphetamine, and Heroin. Apparently (from news reports) we're now seeing potent "Afghan Meth." on the streets and Mexican Heroin. Cocaine use, of course, will always be steady as she goes (told ya: God's creation! :ROFLMAO: ). But, it would appear to me anyway, that much of these statistics are conflicting. depend on what the information is and where it comes from, and how it's interpreted of course. All I can tell you for sure is that Mandrax hits the headlines more than anything else.

Directly back to the topic:

This taken from a document, released in 2020, entitled "NATIONAL DRUG MASTER PLAN 4TH EDITION | 2019 TO 2024 | SOUTH AFRICA FREE OF SUBSTANCE ABUSE":

"Methaqualone (Mandrax)

Methaqualone is a sedative and hypnotic drug that was marketed as Quaalude in the United States and Mandrax in South Africa and the UK. No longer legally available, but still produced in India, Mandrax is most commonly used in South Africa, particularly in the Western Cape where it is also referred to as “buttons” because of the round shape of the pill. The pill is usually crushed and smoked with cannabis using the broken-off neck of a glass bottle. Mandrax has been commonly used to relax and self-medicate for decades by gang members in the Western Cape, and is therefore reported to provide significant revenue essential to the economic survival of gangs."

Last but not least: synthesis and precursors. The below as per the UNDCP (in their invaluable document that details the most common precursors used for most illicit manufacture of drugs and, of course, what's on the various watch lists):

"The most favoured method for the illicit manufacture of methaqualone is by reacting N-acetylanthranilic acid with o-toluidine in the presence of phosphoruss oxychloride or trichloride. In many cases, the N-acetylanthranilic acid used as precursor has itself been prepared by traffickers by reacting anthranilic acid with acetic anhydride or by a combination of acetic anhydride with acetic acid. 1.25 kg. of N-acetylanthranilic acid or one kilogram of anthranilic acid will yield one kilogram of methaqualone."

I'm sure there'll be chemist or two that will disagree with the above or have an improvement (sometimes I wonder just how jacked up these various agencies are in reality). And there's probably a synthesis detailed on good 'ol Erowid as well (I've not looked myself). But it's clear that there's more than one watched substance required. And which makes this drug interesting. Given that there is a demand for our Abalone and stuff like Rhino horn: precursors are traded for the same. This drug has its very own little thriving underground economy.

Oops. Nearly forgot. Political history!

There's a story going around (more than one article) that our previous government (prior to 1994) had a program going to synthesize this stuff en masse and postulating that this could be used for crowd control. I don't buy it. And the so-called evidence is wanting at best. It smacks, to me, as being no different an idea than the so-called Crack epidemic in the USA of yesteryear i.e. the government flooding the streets with the same. And I can tell you: knowing South African's the way I do then, if anything, it'd have been an excuse to attend a rally or to riot or to demonstrate and certainly not a deterrent! :ROFLMAO:

And that's about it from my side really. Any questions? :ROFLMAO:

In closing: not my thing at all. But I've been around one or two or three that have smoked these "white pipes" referenced. And it's always fucking perplexed me how come they hit the shit standing up or sitting on the toilet! :ROFLMAO: This as opposed to sitting on the ground so that they don't have too far to fall! 🤪 To each their own I guess!

Last edited:
OK, I will most definitely not going to read. OP you don't have to thank me, it was my pleasure. @dalpat077 you are the king! :ROFLMAO:
Well at least you're honest. And there goes approximately 6 hours, give or take, of my life and that I'll never get back! :ROFLMAO:

That was the shortened version by the way (version 27, revision 13)! :ROFLMAO:

And all of that for a narcotic I wouldn't have in the house, let alone use, even if you paid me! :ROFLMAO:

You have guilt tripped me into reading. Im on it.

Edit -> Read it. Not that I have particular interest in the subject but I was the one to ask it from you. Thank you @dalpat077 . :)
Too funny.

Truth be told: these things are never a waste of time for me. There's always a few nuggets of information, and that are pertinent to me, that come down the wires. And given that this was a local pursuit: it had me going down local rabbit holes that I'd never have ordinarily bothered with before. So all good. :)

@dalpat077 dont get yourself down mate you took a day and made gold; when you talked about dreaming abt DEA reports my sides were in orbit. and your inciteful commentary about clandestine synchesis drug, current affairs and statistics were great too.
Your 8 P a r a g r a p h R e p l y will be a great jumping off point for my own research into the complete synchesis of 'ludes.

(also its clear that you put a lot of thought into something for a stranger, I thank you for that.)

@dalpat077 dont get yourself down mate you took a day and made gold; when you talked about dreaming abt DEA reports my sides were in orbit. and your inciteful commentary about clandestine synchesis drug, current affairs and statistics were great too.
Your 8 P a r a g r a p h R e p l y will be a great jumping off point for my own research into the complete synchesis of 'ludes.

(also its clear that you put a lot of thought into something for a stranger, I thank you for that.)
It really is my pleasure.

DEA National Drug Threat Assessment Reports? True story I shit you not! :)

Have fun (never included the link in my first post but alluded to it):