• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Are there any negative interactions btwn agmatine (supplement) and memantine (drug)?

copium7777

Bluelighter
I use both agmatine and memantine to keep opioid tolerance reasonable or low. Memantine has fairly well documented mechanism of action and side effects and human trials but agmatine doesnt.

It seems like agmatine works well in rats to lower opioid tolerance and hyperalgesia and also it may lower blood pressure via affecting nitric oxide Pathways, but its still not clear what its ultimate mechanism of action is--nmda antagonist, or something else?

Anyway, memantine is a straightforward NMDA antagonist with not that many risks but it can cause hypertension or stroke in rare cases. Agmatine usually lowers blood pressure, not raises it. If I was just going by what we know for sure , I wouldn't say this is a risky combination. But it's possible that there are mechanisms of action with agmatine that make this a risky combination.

I'm going to ask the doctor who prescribed the memantine , but it may take awhile to hear back so im curious about this in the meantime

Yeah as you say, one wouldn't expect heavy interactions and as agmatine is an amino acid which also occurs (in smaller amounts) in food, it should be pretty safe - so save even tat I didn't yet bother to source & try it, mean to remember that I read it here possibly requiring to be administered via non-oral routes or in high amounts for to be effective - even the NMDA antagonists unfortunately seem to be a hit or miss for some but here I suspect that one just needs to either lower the expectations or dose more than once/very few times. I found them to be effective, yet not magically so, for opioid withdrawal but it's true that the stronger ones (DCK for example) are superior to memantine even at 60mg/d. Good to hear that it's been effective for you! About its hypertensive effects, I don't know about the mechanism, it's an effective NMDA antagonist too with similar potency to that at NMDA yet that isn't hypertensive per se..

Definitely interested to hear about your results if you decide to go on with the agmatine. Would be nice indeed to have a NMDA antagonist at hand which they can't ban so easily like the recreational ones. Ah, and remember that some of the bodybuilding guys take loads of agmatine as supplements, so unfortunately it can't be too strong (magnesium is sometimes also described as a NMDA antagonist - it's mother nature's antagonist but not a channel blocking one).

But yeah back to topic, guess with some titrating you'd be safe. I combined memantine + other antagonists with no real ill effects; only when I already had hints of psychotic stuff it gave me acoustic hallucinations but they only lasted as long as the drugs duration so nothing too wild.

Would be nice indeed to have a NMDA antagonist at hand which they can't ban so easily like the recreational ones.
I'm prescribed ketamine, this isnt a problem for me, but it's not a miracle drug and I think memantine might help more for tolerance. Also even the therapeutic, "safe" doses of ketamine have caused me bladder irritation but I have interstitial cystitis so maybe I'm just overly sensitive.

Wait are you saying agmatine is an NMDA antagonist or just referring to memantine

magnesium is sometimes also described as a NMDA antagonist - it's mother nature's antagonist but not a channel blocking one).
It is an NMDA antagonist but also a calcium channel blocker, I've heard it described by doctors as "natures calcium channel blocker". I take a spray of it in magnesium chloride form for the back. I wonder if there are better forms. I would do intramuscular injections but I'd have to get a script for lidocaine as well as the needles and magnesium bc the pain of magnesium sulfate without lidocaine is beyond any other shot I've ever had