• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Are there any dangers with taking Kava while on Adderall?

imnotcreative

Greenlighter
I'm on an Adderall prescription for 15mg of XR (dropped from 30mg temporarily because I couldn't take it for a while) and 5mg of IR. I took the 15mg of XR at 9AM, and took the 5mg of IR at 12PM. It's currently 4:22PM for me. I'm curious to try this Kava paste that I got, but I don't know what dosage to take and if it's dangerous to take after taking Adderall. Are there any risks for mania, heart problems, serotonin syndrome, or anything else if I take the Kava? And if it's okay to take the Kava, what dose do I take and how do I take it? I'm a 140 lb, 5'10" male if that helps.

Off the top of my pointy head, I can't think of any interactions. Amphetamines involve dopamine and adrenergic systems and kava lactones are mainly gabaergic, I think.

One's an upper, the other's a downer, so there's always the problem of one masking a strong dose of the other, but this isn't as dangerous as speedballing or things like beta blockers. I can say I really enjoy gabapentin on meth.

Long-term kava use is associated with liver problems and a few weird things, but they wouldn't be involved with amphetamine, and take weeks to show up.

I can't tell you how much to take, partly because it's a forum rule, but mostly because I have no idea what the strength of your stuff is.

The pills and eyedroppers you buy in the USA at Whole Foods and the Vitamin Shoppe are pretty much brown goo that does nothing. Find the right dude on the North Shore and you'll swear it was something very illegal (so I've heard).

But, it's 9:39 for you right now, so I bet you just did it anyway.

Ah, right. Not sure why I asked for a dosage. I didn't even think about that. And yes, I did take it. I tried 300mg in warm milk, but it was still hard to get down so some got stuck to the roof of my mouth for 2 or 3 seconds. Mostly just felt my tongue and roof my mouth feel numb with some warmness in my throat that lasted a little shorter. Also noticed a bit of an increase in arousal. Thanks by the way!

As I do sometimes, I did my research after making recommendations, which you then followed (yeah, we both know you would've eaten it anyway).

Wanted to point out that main kava lactone seems to have a gabaergic mechanism, but there's surprisingly little shit out there on just what all those lactones are doing. There's at least rumors that some are involved in norepinephrine reuptake inhibition, along with dopamine. If so, it would interfere with your amphetamines. There's rumors about monoamine oxidase inhibition too; MAOIs being a class that interacts with every drug, badly, it's a thing folks might want to know.

SO, like kratom, there could be all kinds of potential interacting drugs in whole-root extracts, no one knows. So, go easy on mixing and start low, especially with other downers like booze, benzos and opiates. And in Hawaii, which I believe is known to be home for a tweaker or two, there hasn't been a string of deaths after kava-clouds or anything.

What does seem a lot more clear is that it is bad for your liver, in like a "I will kill your liver cells" way. Good news: it kills liver cells by apoptosis, not necrosis, so it's not like your liver is going to rot away, it won't even have to heal. Just, not a drug to swig all day every day.