• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Are the old OC Oxycontins able to be taken as IR if crushed???

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveslaine

Bluelighter
Ok so I have a source for the Mundipharma OC 80's which are basically the Purdue 80's exactly.

I'm planning on quitting opiates starting January 1 for at least 3 or so months and use Naltrexone for a few weeks to completely reverse tolerance, and then start taking oxy for my vacation travels.

However I was wondering, how do the old OC 80s release oxycodone? Is it through the outer layer or is there something else inside the pill that makes it ER? Do I need to scrape the outer layer off?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to use a hammer pill press, weigh out 10mg strengths, and then press the pills into 10mg pills. I know that after Naltrexone for 3 months, 10mg will EASILY give me not only a dose I can feel, but the good ole sweet sweet Euphoria that people want so much.

The only thing is I dont want the new pill I pressed to become ER again lol. So is it possible to do this and save much more money than getting 30's or Oxynorms, or will it not work?

Would it work better in a gel cap?

Hey Dave, Truce on the subject of Naltrexone;

The old OC formulation worked on a system of erosion and osmosis so when crushed to a powder it is very close to IR with only a slight lag (dissolution in water defeats ER entirely).

The outside coating is made up of Hypromellose with some Titanium Dioxide and a dye for color. Its only purpose is to display an imprint and slime up for a few seconds to aid in swallowing as the outside matrix of an intact tablet without the coating is rough and difficult to choke down for sick and feeble patients.

By re-pressing the powder from a crushed tablet you might increase the release time by a little but it will probably be very brittle and crumble on contact with saliva in your mouth or esophagus. IMO it would take heat and a press capable of several thousand PSI to add any integrity back to the tablet. Then you might run into problems with too little porosity and too much density.
Gel-caps are a sound delivery system but with increments as small as 10 mg combined with all the gelatin from a 00 size capsule, several minutes might be added to the absorption time as gelatin is hygroscopic until complete dissolution is attained.

Another possibility is making a solution and dosing with an oral or luer-lok syringe w/o a needle. Water with a neutral or slightly acidic pH becomes saturated at around 100mg of oxy per ml. At say 20-60 mg/ml you could compensate for any fillers hindering absorption or even 10 mg/ml for convenience and nothing would slow the release. Whatever you decide a little trial and error would most likely iron out any kinks you are bound to come across. Good Luck..

That was a very thorough answer. But really saying just crush them would have sufficed. :)

Why not just wait, crush it when ready, and parachute it?

That was a very thorough answer. But really saying just crush them would have sufficed. :)

Why not just wait, crush it when ready, and parachute it?

I think because he is planning on getting 8 doses per pill. So when he crushes to use what he wants, he will still have 70 mg left (7 more doses). If he was taking it all at once then yes--crush and parachute is definitely the simplest answer
-----

Overall though, yes, crushing turns it just about to IR...how you decide to prep your doses shouldn't matter much. Jekyll gave you a very detailed answer on the small differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.