• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Are terps terps?

Terpenes are what give cannabis it’s smell and taste, they are not related to the orange hairs.
The Orange hairs are pistils, they are the cannabis plants vagina. They play a role in pollination and don’t have an effect on the high.

Word... more education for an ol' fool. :)
Had no clue of the many differences. Just wow.
Good question and response.
Thanks for both.

To amplify what Delsyd posted, terpenes are found in a lot more than just cannabis. They are what makes flowers smell the way they do and foods smell and taste the way they do. They are all around you and you didn't even know it. :cool:

I think they are throughout the bud, bud. Like if ya squeeze it and the oils come out it is chock full of 'em iirc.
Lookin for any more enlightenment....

Terpenes are pretty much like the essential oils of cannabis (and other plants)

Pumpkin I think he means like the oil that rolls down a joint
Ever feel all that sticky when ya tear up a bud with your fingers and wonder if anything is going to waste? ha! There's yer oils and shit (my guess it is cbd, thc, terpenes (flavors & ? ), trichomes (what gets one buzzed) and god knows what else but goooooooooooooooooooooooooood. =D

Edit:
Started grinding instead of ripping bud now... seems it just tastes better and lose very little, I think.

All the same feeling?
Oh, shit. Maybe you mean trichomes...? That's the "feeling" stuff. The terps are smell/taste mainly. Pretty sure, anyway. Thinking the thc is in the trichomes... ahhh, shit; I hear a rhyme comin on. 8)

Last edited:
Terpenes are what give cannabis it’s smell and taste, they are not related to the orange hairs.
The Orange hairs are pistils, they are the cannabis plants vagina. They play a role in pollination and don’t have an effect on the high.

Why are psychoactive properties like anti anxiety and anti insomnia applied to the terps in that image?

Limonene is anxiolytic? I bought that stuff to make DMT an alternative to naptha tek. Never dared to consume it, but it is food safe.

Terpenes are a class of compound that plants (and animals) synthesize using 5 carbon isoprene units as starting material ( to be technical it is really dimethylallyl pyrophosphate, as the two phosphate groups provide chemical energy for bond formation). Therefore the total amounts of carbon atoms in a terpene will be divisible by 5, with a classical terpene having 10 carbons.

The aromatic (in the scent sense, not the chemistry sense) terpenes that give weed it's smell are a very small fraction of total terpenes made commonly. Cholesterol is a terpene derivative (it has 27 carbons because 3 carbon are removed by the liver from the triterpenoid compound lanosterol).

The name terpene comes from the discovery of the first terpene, alpha-pinene, which was isolated from turpentine. The haze seen over forests in the summer is actually a high concentration of isoprene vapor, which shows the scale of terpene production in plants.

Why are psychoactive properties like anti anxiety and anti insomnia applied to the terps in that image?

Limonene is anxiolytic? I bought that stuff to make DMT an alternative to naptha tek. Never dared to consume it, but it is food safe.
The anti anxiety and anti insomnia properties attributed to terpenes are not psychoactive.
It’s closer to the to the effects you would get from aroma therapy.

Last edited:
Ever feel all that sticky when ya tear up a bud with your fingers and wonder if anything is going to waste? ha! There's yer oils and shit (my guess it is cbd, thc, terpenes (flavors & ? ), trichomes (what gets one buzzed) and god knows what else but goooooooooooooooooooooooooood. =D

Edit:
Started grinding instead of ripping bud now... seems it just tastes better and lose very little, I think.

Oh, shit. Maybe you mean trichomes...? That's the "feeling" stuff. The terps are smell/taste mainly. Pretty sure, anyway. Thinking the thc is in the trichomes... ahhh, shit; I hear a rhyme comin on. 8)

Ohh yeah probably.

Are all trichomes giving you the same feeling?

Of course I know that silly ! When your rolling papers stay white and don't get all brown and oily you know you don't have those squishy oil nugs in your stash. :love:

I love that sticky icky.

Of course I know that silly ! When your rolling papers stay white and don't get all brown and oily you know you don't have those squishy oil nugs in your stash. :love:
It depends on the environment your bud is grown in. In Colorado for example, it's super dry and can be crushed to a powder easily, in other places it is not so. The curing process also make a different. If anything sticky nugs are harder to smoke