• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Are PES Syringe Filters Acceptible for filtering (Suboxone-Sublingual-films)?

Chemist4Hire

Bluelighter
Title says it all, I am wondering if pes membrane material of Micron/Wheel/Syringe filters are good enough to remove all Particulate Material with a pore size of: 0.22micrometers?
I'm planning on getting 0.22um PES Micron Filters maybe 100-300 box to filter Suboxone Films for IV use because its the only way that works well enough for me.

I understand fully this is very dangerous and am trying to take all available precautions for Harm Reduction that I can other than simply not injecting them.

this is the information I have found about the different types of micron filter materials:

Syringe Filters:
Cellulose acetate CA syringe filters
Polyvinylidene fluoride PVDF syringe filters
Polytetrafluoroethylene PTFE syringe filters
Nylon syringe filters
Glass fiber GF syringe filters
Polypropylene PP syringe filters
Polyethersulfone PES syringe filters

Tips on choosing membrane:

• PVDF (Polyvinylidene fluoride) - extremely low protein-binding; for filtration of non-aggressive aqueous and mild organic solutions, or were maximizing protein recovery is important
  • PES (Polyethersulfone) - low-affinity for proteins and extractable with substantially faster flow rates than PVDF; suitable for pre-filtration and filtration of buffers and culture media
  • MCE (Mixed Cellulose Ester) - filtration of aqueous solutions; effectively binds trace proteins
  • Nylon - providing a broad range of chemical compatibility for the filtration of either aqueous or organic solvents; hydrophobic; can be used in a broad pH range
  • PTFE (Teflon) - extremrly strong chemically resistant and is compatible with various sterilizing methods; ideal for gas and inorganic or organic samples in aggressive environments

NEW – Now available in CA and Glass Fiber (GF) membranes

CA Low protein binding, reduced extractables and low hold-up volume

• Filtration of aqueous solutions such as buffers, media and reagents
  • HPLC
Glass Fiber (GF) – Can be used as preliminary filtering step and for solution clarification without clogging​

• Pre-filtration of heavily contaminated aqueous solvent based samples
  • Extends membrane life when filtering viscous solutions
Syringe Filter (PES)

• PES – Low affinity for proteins and extractables
  • Faster flow rate than PVDF
  • 0.10µm is ideal for mycoplasma removal
Syringe Filter (SFCA)

• SFCA – Good for cell culture
  • Unlike CA, SFCA
  • Does not contain any of the pre-wetting agents found in CA
  • Is lower protein binding and contains lower extractables than standard CA

It looks like SFCA, PES, GF, PVDF are acceptable for filtering Pill binders and buffers. Possibly even dirty drugs like Heroin gun powder, Black Tar Heroin, Powdered Meth, Crystal Meth, all diluted in solute then filtering with 0.45um or lower, recommended 0.22 Micron pore filter size.
I read lab experiment write ups but they did not pertain to drug filtering, but they stated that PES filters particulates the same as PVDF does.
I ordered:
50 x PVDF, 10 x PES, 5x Nylon, but didn't order: PTFE, MCE, CA, GF, SFCA.

I got the best deal on my recent order of Wheel Filters/Syringe Filters:
Micron Filters: Membrane material: PVDF, Pore size: 0.22um, Diameter: 25mm.
for $1.96= each, quantity: 50 at a huge discount. The average price for PVDF material Filters are 3-5 dollars each when ordering anything less than boxes of a hundred, and you are lucky if you can find them for 3 each let along what I got 1.96.
PM me for Source if you are interested. (I do not think it breaks any rules since It's not illegal in any country and It's main purpose is Harm Reduction.)

you don't have to make anti bacterial batches at the cheap price of 1.96 each. the way I do it each one is worth 0.32cents. I set up 6 shots worth with each filter, and since I take 3 doses per day, the solution only sits in the refrigerator for 1-1/2 days, which is really not enough time to worry about bacteria. I think most bacteria usually starts building up around day 3 but that depends on your fridge temperature.

Here are the Septa Auto-Sealing Sterile Vials I use and ordered last:
NSFW:
35UXYHH.jpg

These are medical grade septa auto reseal vials made for solutions, serums and liquid medicine to remain sterile: Inoculation/Retrieval achieved with Syringe:
NSFW:
Qq81R9Z.jpg

Sorry if I sound all over the place, its been a long day and night.
The reason I'm asking about PES when I have ordered PVDF is the price difference. PVDF = $5 each (box of 25) and PES= $3 each (Box of 25), PVDF= $1 each(when buying 250 or more at a time) - PES= 0.30-0.45cents each (when buying a 250 or more at a time). PVDF= 0.50 each (when buying 1000 or more at a time) and PES= 0.10cents each (when buying 1000 or more at a time) from Laboratory/Chemistry suppliers using online distributors.
But I would like to hear if anyone has used PES vs PVDF, Glass Fiber, Nylon, PTFE Filters?
or
If anyone knows why PVDF is the best version of them?

Last edited:
The PES will be fine as long as you don't plan to run any strong solvents through it, which will tend to dissolve the filter. If you do plan to add an alcohol/solvent, I'd go with PVDF, which will take a little longer but is more resistant.

BTW getting one with a pre-filter layer will speed things immensely and enable you to handle a greater volume of crushed tablet/liquid.

The PES will be fine as long as you don't plan to run any strong solvents through it, which will tend to dissolve the filter. If you do plan to add an alcohol/solvent, I'd go with PVDF, which will take a little longer but is more resistant.

BTW getting one with a pre-filter layer will speed things immensely and enable you to handle a greater volume of crushed tablet/liquid.

Would Bacteriostatic water, which contains 0.9% benzyl alcohol, count as running a solvent through it?

As a rough guide for solvent compatability, I'd recommend referring to a chart like this one here (opens in PDF).

Generally speaking, you don't want to be filtering large quantities of BA through a PES filter. At <1% BA, the filter should probably be able to handle things relatively stably, but I'd not recommend running too much total quantity through a single PES filter. For small amounts (say 50-100ml total liquid), you should be safe.

Not many filters commonly available to average folks really like large amounts of BA very much though. Maybe some glass microfibre, PTFE, but they often don't filter substrate smaller than 45 microns (you might find some Acrodisc or equivalent around though). PVDF is stronger than PES of the common ones though, despite neither being ideal.

Others with more current knowledge might like to chip in :)

I know this is an older post, but for anyone researching micron filters for harm reduction, I thought I'd throw this out there. I have a medical background, so when my speed habit evolved into shooting, I was freaky sterile about it. I used the green, yellow or light blue .22um 13mm filters and never had a problem. (NOTE: There are exceptions, but most often, green filters are PES, orange are either MCE or PTFE, yellow are either PTFE or PES and light blue are Nylon) I also used normal saline for my mix, medical grade, same as IV fluid, (never use saline from a drug store, that is for cleaning contacts and flushing wounds, it should NEVER be injected, it has baking soda and other chemicals in it.) Also meth is soluble in water, so I was never filtering film off anything like the OP. I also wanted to add, the diameter of these micron filters, only factor in how much liquid you are going to filter through it. Not sure how much OP is planning on filtering, but for the average shooter of most any street drug, 13mm, which is 1 of 3 most common sizes, is more than enough, they are meant to handle 1cc/ml - 10cc/ml before getting too clogged to be effective. Sometimes it takes a little bit for the fluid to get through the filter too, be patient, keep negative pressure on the syringe using the plunger, and it wall al eventually come through. Also please don't reuse them, they dry out very quickly and are bacteria magnets after being used.

As far as the material, for purposes of the most common shooter drugs, isn't going to matter too much. as long as you get 0.22um (I have no experience with shooting pills, so if you're planning on that, reconsider, then research research research) bacterial spores are appx 0.8um, so we can get by using a 0.45um, but I liked having that extra buffer zone. It's still better than a cigarette butt or cotton, which to put in perspective are both anywhere from 9.0um to 23.0um! Unfortuneately, you need lure lock needle-less syringes to use these micron filters, which is what I used anyway, a box of 50 2ml/cc are very affordable. A lot of shooters are very set in their ways though, and when I would show them, what I thought, was a better, safer set up, with detachable needles, and a little bit larger gauge (29g/30g/31g are diabetic needles and are meant for IM injections, not IV, and do more harm than good, but that is for another thread) they were usually freaked out and said no way I'll switch, that stuff looks too complicated. Be safe everyone.

Title says it all, I am wondering if pes membrane material of Micron/Wheel/Syringe filters are good enough to remove all Particulate Material with a pore size of: 0.22micrometers?
I'm planning on getting 0.22um PES Micron Filters maybe 100-300 box to filter Suboxone Films for IV use because its the only way that works well enough for me.

I understand fully this is very dangerous and am trying to take all available precautions for Harm Reduction that I can other than simply not injecting them.

this is the information I have found about the different types of micron filter materials:

Syringe Filters:
Cellulose acetate CA syringe filters
Polyvinylidene fluoride PVDF syringe filters
Polytetrafluoroethylene PTFE syringe filters
Nylon syringe filters
Glass fiber GF syringe filters
Polypropylene PP syringe filters
Polyethersulfone PES syringe filters

Tips on choosing membrane:

• PVDF (Polyvinylidene fluoride) - extremely low protein-binding; for filtration of non-aggressive aqueous and mild organic solutions, or were maximizing protein recovery is important
  • PES (Polyethersulfone) - low-affinity for proteins and extractable with substantially faster flow rates than PVDF; suitable for pre-filtration and filtration of buffers and culture media
  • MCE (Mixed Cellulose Ester) - filtration of aqueous solutions; effectively binds trace proteins
  • Nylon - providing a broad range of chemical compatibility for the filtration of either aqueous or organic solvents; hydrophobic; can be used in a broad pH range
  • PTFE (Teflon) - extremrly strong chemically resistant and is compatible with various sterilizing methods; ideal for gas and inorganic or organic samples in aggressive environments

NEW – Now available in CA and Glass Fiber (GF) membranes

CA Low protein binding, reduced extractables and low hold-up volume

• Filtration of aqueous solutions such as buffers, media and reagents
  • HPLC
Glass Fiber (GF) – Can be used as preliminary filtering step and for solution clarification without clogging

• Pre-filtration of heavily contaminated aqueous solvent based samples
  • Extends membrane life when filtering viscous solutions
Syringe Filter (PES)

• PES – Low affinity for proteins and extractables
  • Faster flow rate than PVDF
  • 0.10µm is ideal for mycoplasma removal
Syringe Filter (SFCA)

• SFCA – Good for cell culture
  • Unlike CA, SFCA
  • Does not contain any of the pre-wetting agents found in CA
  • Is lower protein binding and contains lower extractables than standard CA

It looks like SFCA, PES, GF, PVDF are acceptable for filtering Pill binders and buffers. Possibly even dirty drugs like Heroin gun powder, Black Tar Heroin, Powdered Meth, Crystal Meth, all diluted in solute then filtering with 0.45um or lower, recommended 0.22 Micron pore filter size.
I read lab experiment write ups but they did not pertain to drug filtering, but they stated that PES filters particulates the same as PVDF does.
I ordered:
50 x PVDF, 10 x PES, 5x Nylon, but didn't order: PTFE, MCE, CA, GF, SFCA.

I got the best deal on my recent order of Wheel Filters/Syringe Filters:
Micron Filters: Membrane material: PVDF, Pore size: 0.22um, Diameter: 25mm.
for $1.96= each, quantity: 50 at a huge discount. The average price for PVDF material Filters are 3-5 dollars each when ordering anything less than boxes of a hundred, and you are lucky if you can find them for 3 each let along what I got 1.96.
PM me for Source if you are interested. (I do not think it breaks any rules since It's not illegal in any country and It's main purpose is Harm Reduction.)

you don't have to make anti bacterial batches at the cheap price of 1.96 each. the way I do it each one is worth 0.32cents. I set up 6 shots worth with each filter, and since I take 3 doses per day, the solution only sits in the refrigerator for 1-1/2 days, which is really not enough time to worry about bacteria. I think most bacteria usually starts building up around day 3 but that depends on your fridge temperature.

Here are the Septa Auto-Sealing Sterile Vials I use and ordered last:
NSFW:
35UXYHH.jpg
NSFW:
NSFW:
NSFW:

These are medical grade septa auto reseal vials made for solutions, serums and liquid medicine to remain sterile: Inoculation/Retrieval achieved with Syringe:
NSFW:
Qq81R9Z.jpg
NSFW:
NSFW:
NSFW:

Sorry if I sound all over the place, its been a long day and night.
The reason I'm asking about PES when I have ordered PVDF is the price difference. PVDF = $5 each (box of 25) and PES= $3 each (Box of 25), PVDF= $1 each(when buying 250 or more at a time) - PES= 0.30-0.45cents each (when buying a 250 or more at a time). PVDF= 0.50 each (when buying 1000 or more at a time) and PES= 0.10cents each (when buying 1000 or more at a time) from Laboratory/Chemistry suppliers using online distributors.
But I would like to hear if anyone has used PES vs PVDF, Glass Fiber, Nylon, PTFE Filters?

or

If anyone knows why PVDF is the best version of them?
Did you ever come to a conclusion as to what is the best syringe filters type for suboxone/Buprenorphine pills? From my research it seems PES & PVDF are about equally effective but I’d like to get some more feedback from users on here. When you research these filters, most of the info doesn’t apply to what we are using them for to filter subs. The ultimate are whatman GD/X PES or PVDF syringe filters because they have the ore filter but are ungodly expensive now. You used to be able to get 100 on amazon for $75, now your lucky to get 50 for $200. I’d appreciate any suggestions with experience.

Elaborate?
They're really meant for SC, not IM, injections but the point holds: those syringes are not actually intended for IV use. They're designed for use with one drug, insulin, which is only ever prescribed for subcutaneous use in the shots diabetics give themselves at home.

In a medical setting, the needle used to administer an intravenous drug would be quite a bit larger than your typical insulin rig: less than 26g (IIRC) versus 28-31g. Why and how IVing with a thinner-gauge needle "does more harm than good," however, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
They're really meant for SC, not IM, injections but the point holds: those syringes are not actually intended for IV use. They're designed for use with one drug, insulin, which is only ever prescribed for subcutaneous use in the shots diabetics give themselves shots at home.

In a medical setting, the needle used to administer an intravenous drug would be quite a bit larger than your typical insulin rig: under 26g, IIRC, compared to 28-31g. Why and how IVing with a thinner-gauge needle "does more harm than good," however, I'm not sure.
Yeah that makes no sense to me either. You want to avoid as much tissue damage as possible, and the larger gauge the needle, the more of a hole you make in your vein. As a general rule I'd go with always use the thinnest gauge that gets the job done. (I use 27G mostly)

Last edited: