• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos are hallucinations normal with benzo withdrawal?

i have two gun cabinets. guess i could lock them up and give him the key. sorry, i tend to ramble

Last edited:
I withdrew from benzos and methadone and only experienced auditory hallucinations and slight delusions or paranoia but I had a friend who was on a popular tattoo reality show and during benzo withdrawal she believed she was on the set of this reality show. I watched over her and she built forts on the couch from the cushions and blankets. She thought she was helping build props for the set and she kept calling me the name of one of the other cast members. She literally walked around acting out scenes and rehearsing lines for the imaginary cameras in our apartment. She kept enlisting me in her unreal imaginary reality world madness. I was in slight benzo withdrawal and I started to slowly lose the plot myself as I tried to entertain her wild delusions in an attempt to pacify her madness.

She had a seizure and went on like this for weeks. Doctors were afraid that she might not ever be the same again but she slowly came around with only minor memory and motor functioning problems. She has now returned to her normal beautiful, sharp, charismatic self except she can't seem to shake her heroin addiction and I wish she could because she has all the talent and potential in the world but for now her addiction consumes her. I think she still suffers from residual anxiety which she self medicates with dope. I love you wherever you are right now ReeRee and I wish you the best.

so, if i taper off in a treatment center is there a chance i will be never be normal again? or my version of normal or am i likely to have some sort of brain damage for life

i feel like my doctor fucking poisoned me. i never would have taken that shit on a daily basis if i had any clue what i was taking. i hope he burns to death in his fucking sleep

so, if i taper off in a treatment center is there a chance i will be never be normal again? or my version of normal or am i likely to have some sort of brain damage for life

I highly doubt that you will have this kind of response especially if you taper in a treatment setting. I have never seen or heard of anybody else having an experience even close to hers. She was only taking 2mg everyday for 2yrs but when she stopped she did not taper and suffered through several seizures. After the seizures she lost her grip on reality completely. Her delusions and insane behavior were more a result of damage from the seizures than the actual withdrawal itself but I am sure that the WD's exacerbated her delusions and temporary brain damage.

The doctors thought she might never recover but it only took a month for her bright eyes and smile to display the vibrant life inside and within another week she was completely back to normal.

If you taper the withdrawal shouldn't be anything that you can't handle. You will most likely just have some rebound anxiety and possible sleep and eating disturbances. Try not to worry or focus on these worst case scenarios because anxiety will make your withdrawal symptoms a lot worse.

I wish you the best.... If the taper is done properly I think you will be surprised at how minimal your symptoms will be.

Last edited:
whenever I would run out of benzos I would tell people that it felt like I was tripping,but not in a good way,like a radio was going off in my head, benzo wds are the worst imo,for me at least because I do not drink alcohol.

Op,

yes. Remember this mildly horrifying piece of pop culture???

Thats supposed to be a reference to alcohol psychosis or extreme DT's.

Benzo withdrawal is like a very exaggerated form of this, but less acutely deadly, and more drawn out.

I never truly recovered from PAWS to be honest, but, i mean, im not the safest dude u nome sayn. :)

I have withdrawn from lorezepam and have had some pretty srs hallucinations. Auditory mostly.. that went Hand in hand with the panic attacks during particularly frightening (literally) bouts of rebound anxiety. Benzos are extremely over Rxd in the states and most doctors will tell you... they are way more trouble than they're worth. Very few people have a true need for benzodiazipines. They are really meant to be prescribed for the most, a few weeks. I have heard that all periods of long term dependence permanently lower cognitive function.

Don't ask me to back that up because i can't. Other than personally experiencing a noticeable drop in the IQ points of ANYONE I've ever known dependant on benzos.. especially those with very long term habits. They're frightening drugs - it's absolutely astounding the amount of people I know who can safely use any substance recreationally... who pop a few too many MGs of a benzo and go directly to jail. I think benzos flat out make people stupid.

After detoxing from ativan, I continued to see a doctor for my Somas and will never fill a benzo again. Carisoprodal is a superior drug in terms of muscle spasm control and overall sedation.. I just don't get any of the nasty rebound effects.

^ya. I actually recall that specifically from a wikipedia page, and a period withdrawing, recording cognitive function in this recovery jounal I made.
Fucked up shit. I was in academic mode, pretty successful thruout, but there was a few, where I was perpetually fried, ignoring all the pot lol. Memorys the worst tho.
It got back to normal tho. Very surreal to get back to lucid and quick like back in the day.

I feel like I've told this story a million times on here, but I got locked up on a legitimate habit of 30-50mg diazepam, 3g gabapentin, and a minor alcohol addiction, and kratom. I went into a state of complete delerium after about 15 days and acted kind of strange before that. I started having "dreams" where I'd "wake up" and I'd still be in my dream and acting it out in front of everyone. I thought the Outlaws, ones I wasn't even affiliated with and weren't even Outlaws were after me, I had absolutely bizarre hallucinations where I was reciting MLK speeches and carving them into the walls (didn't really happen, not real speeches, like I would even know them in the first place.) When I was awake in my block I would put my blanket over my head and see little "gnomes" and was in there with my friend and was like "check this out, put your blanket over your head! There's a forest and gnomes and shit you can see!" These horrible hallucinations have stayed with me and traumatized me to say the least.

I thought my grandparents died, I thought my parents died. It was all fabrication. Horrifying fabrication. Then I'd make my phone calls and realize I was thankfully wrong. I'd tell the guards my parents were dead and they'd look at me like I was an idiot.

I'd ask for a cigarette and they'd REALLY look at me like an idiot.

The nurse at my jail is an absolute cunt. Wouldn't even give me the benzo they use for withdrawal. Gave me an antipsychotic instead which I refused to take but once. Sold them for trays.

Needless to say, extreme GABA addiction -can- lead to some fucked up shit.

It subsided for the most part after my 37 days in jail. I immediately went to rehab and felt normal. Unfortunately, I am back at the doc and back on Valium and Gralise (film-coated "time release" gabapentin) because it honestly does improve my quality of life. Drugs aren't the problem. No drugs are for me.

Last edited:
I'm glad it helped ya a little atleast. The first day or two i also had that feeling of wanting to kill my Dr's but it isn't their fault i have an addictive nature and for people like us that have serious Panic, Anxiedy issues benzo's do WORK for it. Depending on the Inpatient facility it can be alot easier. I believe a good bit of why this was so bad was The medical staff there i hate to say ( now this USUALLY isn't the case, Your Best bet is to do it in SOME KIND of Inpatient Facility or hospital because it's no where near safe to do alone man). I was comming off Suboxone 12mg ( 4 years) and All this Xanax. When i actually consulted with them, i was told i was to be given a Klonopin taper which did sound strange because i was under the impression Valium, Librium and sometimes Ativan are used. I was also told Subutex for the suboxone ( bupe regardless) So i was taken back and then was Told the next morning by the nurses i was Going to be Given SERAX and Subutex Instead Of Subutex and Klonopin ( worried immediately) What Pissed me off was that kids that were not actually dependant to benzo's were GETTING KLONOPIN ( and nah i dont mean Clonodine)

Then they give me Serax then i was given Subutex but Mixed with WATER and forced to Swallow it. Now I puked it up i believe. Scary actually i never believed a wd could be worse than that 2 bundle + a day H Habit. Now What i did realize with xanax atleast (so benzo wd's ) is that It was DOMINANTLY mental ( besides the shit i stated in my other post). The weird Dillusions, Paranoia, Crazy Anxiousness all that. It seemed that the other shit came AFTER the seizures. As bad as it got though oddly enough not once did i think ok leave and get benzo's and sub.

Weirdly enough, The opposite. I fell into that state of pure craziness where i didn't eat or sleep for over a week but as Spaced out, Disoriented, INSANE as i did get, never once did i want to restart the process by getting them. I honestly believe i could never go through this whole thing again AND LIVE. I wont lie, i STILL don't feel all there, but DEFINITELY better. Now it's mainly a matter of Crazy rebound Anxiedy and Sleeplessness but IT DEFINITELY GOT BETTER. To keep it real with you, if you really want to stop taking them and CAN get into an inpatient or hospital setting to do so, DO IT AS SOON AS YOU ARE READY, The longer you hold off the worst wds WILL be. I WISH i would have went 2-3 years ago when i first realized it was an issue but i was honestly scared i wouldn't make it and die.

What i was trying to say is that most Rehabs Are not like that place ( atleast here this was the 6th different hab i was in and the only one off and weird with the dr's /nurses) I do wonder think Yes it sucks comming of 2 substances that take a while and leave ya feeling weird for a while after but it's better than the Alternative. Yeah i mean Valium IS a long lasting benzo, so ya could kind of use the analogy or Sub or M-Done for it. Don't so much be afraid, just be prepared for the possibles as people are saying, Some people dont get it all that bad, others do. You can definitely do it, Positive mindset, motivation are key. If ya have an questions in DETAIL Pm me.
Best of luck to you, AND BE SAFE
-B

just gone through the same thing seeing and hearing stuff especially with the hearing like it was made super sensitive its been diving me mad over the last 2 weeks to the point of suicidal

i have several mental health issues so it might have had nothing to do with the withdrawal at all. it could have just been brought on by the stress of the situation. hallucinations are very rare for me though and havent really had any since i was locked in the hole in jail like 5 years ago. im also a very heavy drinker and have only been drinking 1 beer a day for the past few days because i didnt want to make my WD worse

Yeah, the w/d might just be amplifying the issues that were already there. I started taking amphetamines to remedy an issue with drowsiness (over the years I learned a fair bit about pharmacology and realise now it was depression caused by a deficiency of monoamines), and I also had restlessness from low dopamine levels. Long story short, I got into a big, insane polydrugging habit and now its time to go cold turkey. The drowsiness part I can handle, but the restlessness is a bastard. I feel for the poor bastards drugged up on antipsychotics in mental institutions, this is probably how they feel. Too tired to move, but too agitated to sit still. Ah its alright though, I'll survive it. I toughed it out before and was almost symptom free, but that depression bullshit that made me get on the drugs in the first place was still there so I got back on the amps to do this last year of college.

Have you tried other substances to counteract benzo w/d symptoms? Baclofen for instance? It will counteract hallucinations, agitation, prevent seizures and help sleep. Theres lyrica/gabapentin, clonidine, trazodone, antihistamines, and a wide range of other non GABAergic substances. I would try NMDA antagonists and see if they help too In fact, i think I'm gonna get my doc to prescribe me hydroxyzine next time I see him. He won't prescribe memantine, but hes fine with tricyclic antidepressants so if not hydroxyzine, I may go for amitryptiline, but I'm gonna research a bit and find out what the best TCA would be for this situation. NMDA antagonists help me a great deal, but I can't function on them, the cognitive impairment puts me out of commission. Thats strong antagonists though, I'd like to try memantine.

I feel like I've told this story a million times on here, but I got locked up on a legitimate habit of 30-50mg diazepam, 3g gabapentin, and a minor alcohol addiction, and kratom. I went into a state of complete delerium after about 15 days and acted kind of strange before that. I started having "dreams" where I'd "wake up" and I'd still be in my dream and acting it out in front of everyone. I thought the Outlaws, ones I wasn't even affiliated with and weren't even Outlaws were after me, I had absolutely bizarre hallucinations where I was reciting MLK speeches and carving them into the walls (didn't really happen, not real speeches, like I would even know them in the first place.) When I was awake in my block I would put my blanket over my head and see little "gnomes" and was in there with my friend and was like "check this out, put your blanket over your head! There's a forest and gnomes and shit you can see!" These horrible hallucinations have stayed with me and traumatized me to say the least.

I thought my grandparents died, I thought my parents died. It was all fabrication. Horrifying fabrication. Then I'd make my phone calls and realize I was thankfully wrong. I'd tell the guards my parents were dead and they'd look at me like I was an idiot.

I'd ask for a cigarette and they'd REALLY look at me like an idiot.

The nurse at my jail is an absolute cunt. Wouldn't even give me the benzo they use for withdrawal. Gave me an antipsychotic instead which I refused to take but once. Sold them for trays.

Needless to say, extreme GABA addiction -can- lead to some fucked up shit.

It subsided for the most part after my 37 days in jail. I immediately went to rehab and felt normal. Unfortunately, I am back at the doc and back on Valium and Gralise (film-coated "time release" gabapentin) because it honestly does improve my quality of life. Drugs aren't the problem. No drugs are for me.
This is crazy you say this.. in 2012 I did 37 or 38 days in ocj. I didn't start hallucinating till day 14.. I had been getting strange "dreams" or I'd leave the jail.. or get visitors.. till I finally was just out of my mind..
I though my bf at the time was visiting me and the guards were beating his ass.. I starred yelling this I rember.. Cell extraction team and the next 14 days I dont..
I'd some how always end up stuck. In a bathtub. Bed. Cell. But with the real work behind the bars..
I also usually had authority figures trying to harm me.. weird..
But I have been trying to find some on who has started hallucinating that far in to it like I did. I was also kicking iv suboxone 2mg. 5mg xanax. So i wasnt eating. I blackedout while hallucinating for 2 weeks of my jail stay but I know I was in the crazy pod.heard stories From girls later.
I woke up in a hosoital.. still in and out of wavy weird thoughts. AND went back to jail still kinda fucked up.. I'm fine now but remember er the "dreams" like they were real. Watchin my self Being in a buring house stuck in plastic while all dressed up in a fancy dress all made up.

I'm on gabbapentin now too.
And off suboxone.I feel crazy just telling people this so I'm glad you did too!. They made my jail stay go by faster.. but mine may gave been a combo of not eating withdrawl ing and dehydration. I'd like to hear more about your jailstay. I have seen tons if girls now who I know are just w.d. but no one's ever gone to the hospital.

You will get out of body experiences for a couple days nd you will feel like you just lost your mind and the feeling that you will never recover...that's the worst part

OP:

Hallucinations are unfortunately pretty common with benzine and alcohol withdrawal. You're obviously unable to work, why motto get detoxed are the emergency department. If you're at the fornication (seeing/feeling bugs on or inside your body) stage, your vitals would probably be high enough that they couldn't turn you away.

Remember, even if you don't die from it, benzine/alcohol withdrawal can cause permanent damage to your brain and nervous system.