• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Are benzos completely unknown in the UK/Ireland by most people?

I live in Ireland and it seems that most people I talk to my age and even the older generation, have no idea what benzodiazepaines are. The drug terminology isn't the issue cause I talk about xanax or valium and they still don't know.

I can't speak for the whole of Ireland, but benzo's are most certainly known in Dublin anyway. Go into the city center (especially the quays) and you'll see plenty of people stumbling around on benzo's, heroin and zimmos (zopiclone). Talbot street is nicknamed "tablet street" for a reason. The thing in Ireland is that benzodiazepine's are primarily associated with the junky scene and not really that common in other circles aside from occasionally being used as comedown aids after MDMA and Psychedelic use.

I can't speak for the whole of Ireland, but benzo's are most certainly known in Dublin anyway. Go into the city center (especially the quays) and you'll see plenty of people stumbling around on benzo's, heroin and zimmos (zopiclone). Talbot street is nicknamed "tablet street" for a reason. The thing in Ireland is that benzodiazepine's are primarily associated with the junky scene and not really that common in other circles aside from occasionally being used as comedown aids after MDMA and Psychedelic use.

Just curious. What's been your experience with benzos/BDZ drugs? Do you find it hard to get them from a GP/psychiatrist?

Yeah, i knew that one too! At times i dont know if that levi ( name?) guy isnt acting a bit cuz for a benzo addict i.e. very tolerant of them, to get soo smashed...either theres some strrrong RC- benzos pressed into fake tabs, like seems normal over in UK, Scotland n Ireland, or he is taking massive amounts!
Notice he isnt potentating em with booze!

He was taking 30 at a time, with methadone and spice. You get tolerant to some of the effects, but not all.

they'd rather push antidepressants on ya for sum stupid reason

Yep. The ones that turn your dick off and stop it from working. Believe me, I've tried SSRIs, Lexapro turned my penis off, and I couldn't for the life of me ever achieve an orgasm whilst I was on it. I was on it for about 2 days then stopped. Yeah, nah...

SSRIs gave me brain zaps and made me suicidal. Then the docs tried to push quetiapine (Seroquel) on me which is a serious fucking antipsychotic drug meant to only be used in severe disorders like manic episodes of bipolar or psychotic episodes of schizophrenia... they wanted me on it for anxiety just to avoid giving out benzos.

Went to a private psychiatrist and now have a clonazepam script instead. I get hardly any side effects from it and it treats my anxiety perfectly. I can use it only as needed rather than having to take it daily which is good because being dependant on meds is something I've never really liked the idea of.

The NHS hates giving out new benzo scripts because of a huge class action lawsuit in the late 90's/early 2000's regarding overprescription back in the day which then caused the creation of strict NICE guidelines e.g. GPs on the NHS are literally not allowed to give you more than a month's supply of benzos. Using a private doc bypasses this because they don't have to follow NICE guidelines and if your GP is giving you benzos because of a referral from a private psychiatrist their arse is covered. If you can afford it that's definitely the best way to get good scripts. Benzos, stims, opiates, whatever. Although even private docs are getting skittish about opiates recently, they seem to think we're about to become the US for whatever reason.

He was taking 30 at a time, with methadone and spice. You get tolerant to some of the effects, but not all.
Yep.I missed that and the fact that he was getting strong RC Benzo, not Diazepam.
Give me 30 10mg Diazepam, 100mg methadone and a spliff of spice + a coffee (!!!) and i wouldnt be falling all over the place and noddin out, just very very very stoned on the Spice. Why spice? Shit is too strong

Yeah I have no idea why someone would willingly take spice except perhaps as a form of self-harm...

SSRIs gave me brain zaps and made me suicidal. Then the docs tried to push quetiapine (Seroquel) on me which is a serious fucking antipsychotic drug meant to only be used in severe disorders like manic episodes of bipolar or psychotic episodes of schizophrenia... they wanted me on it for anxiety just to avoid giving out benzos.

Went to a private psychiatrist and now have a clonazepam script instead. I get hardly any side effects from it and it treats my anxiety perfectly. I can use it only as needed rather than having to take it daily which is good because being dependant on meds is something I've never really liked the idea of.

The NHS hates giving out new benzo scripts because of a huge class action lawsuit in the late 90's/early 2000's regarding overprescription back in the day which then caused the creation of strict NICE guidelines e.g. GPs on the NHS are literally not allowed to give you more than a month's supply of benzos. Using a private doc bypasses this because they don't have to follow NICE guidelines and if your GP is giving you benzos because of a referral from a private psychiatrist their arse is covered. If you can afford it that's definitely the best way to get good scripts. Benzos, stims, opiates, whatever. Although even private docs are getting skittish about opiates recently, they seem to think we're about to become the US for whatever reason.
SPOT ON!! You really said it, and well!
Same Trend here though by yet not as bad.
And you noticed, i did too. When Prozac ( fluoxetine) came out, i took it ~ 6months.
Didnt work. Insomnia, jittery, driven. No inkling of happiness. There are Prozac Survivor Groups out there! And those 2 school shooters, Dylan Thomas and Eric?? were for years on Prozac!!!! Damn, that stuff is wicked

SPOT ON!! You really said it, and well!
Same Trend here though by yet not as bad.
And you noticed, i did too. When Prozac ( fluoxetine) came out, i took it ~ 6months.
Didnt work. Insomnia, jittery, driven. No inkling of happiness. There are Prozac Survivor Groups out there! And those 2 school shooters, Dylan Thomas and Eric?? were for years on Prozac!!!! Damn, that stuff is wicked

Cheers mate :)

And yeah there is a worrying trend where a lot of mass murderers and serial killers were actually on SSRIs or SNRIs. I don't think the antidepressants caused those people to become murderers, but I can absolutely believe that if someone has that urge within them already, the antidepressants can help you ignore the voice that keeps you in check and tells you not to do it.

It's the same with suicide. If you were already feeling suicidal but knew rationally you shouldn't actually do it, it's very easy for something like Prozac to shut off your rational voice and see no reason not to just go ahead with it. This is why suicidal ideation is a known (and worryingly common) side effect of all SSRIs and SNRIs.

Of course doctors are happy to ignore that and shovel them at you anyway because at least you won't get a mild buzz off them like you might with benzos... better to increase risk of suicide than chance someone getting a Valium buzz apparently... madness.

U know what i havr learned a thing or 2 about heroin and benzo? Well lots of people kept telling me heroin is the most difficult to come off it and withdrawl are most horrendeous but i have to say they are WRONG, its the fuckin benzo!! I was soooo SICK for months and months, i think it was a year before i start to feel normal again!! I HATE benzo and i never will go near them ever again
I dont know about you all, but i think bemzo has to be the WORST drug for so difficult to come off and the most difficult withdrawl ever i had. I have tried coke, crack, e, sleepin tabs, fentanyl( not my intentional) lol

U know what i havr learned a thing or 2 about heroin and benzo? Well lots of people kept telling me heroin is the most difficult to come off it and withdrawl are most horrendeous but i have to say they are WRONG, its the fuckin benzo!! I was soooo SICK for months and months, i think it was a year before i start to feel normal again!! I HATE benzo and i never will go near them ever again
I dont know about you all, but i think bemzo has to be the WORST drug for so difficult to come off and the most difficult withdrawl ever i had. I have tried coke, crack, e, sleepin tabs, fentanyl( not my intentional) lol

It really depends on which benzo, what kind of dose you were taking, and for how long mate.

Since I've actually got anxiety and antidepressants did nothing but make me feel worse I've been using benzos as medication for years now. Initially self-medication then later on got a script.

Have had times where I used benzos daily for too long and had to taper down to avoid getting a bad withdrawal, but with a taper I genuinely didn't find it too difficult at all. I got worse withdrawals from antidepressants which gave me nasty rebound depression and anxiety, continued suicidal ideation, insomnia, and brain zaps for months.

But my benzo use was in the therapeutic range. Even when I self-medicated I used the type of doses a doctor would prescribe. This was also thankfully before there were plenty of fake blister packs full of potent RC benzos going around.

When I noticed I was using them too frequently and my tolerance was too high I tapered down, had a tolerance break for a bit, then got back to using them only as needed whenever possible.

Speaking from my own experience the worst drug for me to come off was pregabalin (Lyrica) that stuff is just straight up fucking dirty. Absolutely nasty drug. Feels like a combo of benzo and opiate withdrawals together but also fucks with your head and makes you stupid and forgetful - yes, more than benzos do.

On the other hand I had a mate who was scripted Prozac and he stayed on it even though he hated the stuff because even tapering was unbearable. Eventually he just had to go for it and forced himself off it but it was worse than benzo withdrawals for him.

Not trying to downplay your experiences mate don't get me wrong, only saying that it really depends on a lot of different factors. It is always difficult to make blanket statements about this type of thing because there's so many variables. Usually though the really rough benzo withdrawals come from people abusing them in high doses. Whereas I took my pregabalin as prescribed for just a month or two and it was worse than any benzo withdrawal I've gone through even Xanax. Even oxy withdrawal was not as bad as pregabalin withdrawal to me.

Just curious. What's been your experience with benzos/BDZ drugs? Do you find it hard to get them from a GP/psychiatrist?

Seems to be pretty difficult to get them prescribed unless you're suffering from panic attacks, an ex-alcoholic or afraid of flying. Older people seem get them prescribed a lot easier too, my GP has never given them to me for anything (even for pretty legitimate reasons). They hand out SSRI's far more readily.

As for experience, I have far too much. I have had an on-off affair with them for years. They're great for anxiety, come-downs, hangovers and killing trips, but not worth it in terms of recreational effects. Sure, the feeling of obliterating anxiety and feeling sedated can be very nice – especially if you already suffer from anxiety. But there are far more enjoyable and rewarding drugs out there that aren't as addictive. As many others have pointed out the withdrawals are horrible.

But there are far more enjoyable and rewarding drugs out there that aren't as addictive.

If there are more rewarding drugs out there that aren't as addictive as benzos I'd sure like to know what they are.

I know there are opiates, but they're just as addictive if not more so.

Maybe withdrawing from them isn't as bad, but they are still terribly addictive.

Does it matter a lot if you take benzo alone or with other drugs? Because I always take them with other drugs and I have never noticed that benzos increase euphoria, so I can't understand why they are addictive.
Perhaps if you take them without anything else, the effect would be different.
PS. Is it true that in England / Ireland there is an epidemic of pregabalin abuse?

I understand that most people in UK get their medical care from the NHS which has become very anti-benzos.

However, do you still have the option of opting out of NHS and seeing a private doctor? Are private doctors more easygoing about scripting benzos (and other things discouraged by NHS?)

If there are more rewarding drugs out there that aren't as addictive as benzos I'd sure like to know what they are.

I know there are opiates, but they're just as addictive if not more so.

Maybe withdrawing from them isn't as bad, but they are still terribly addictive.

By more rewarding drugs I really mean psychedelics and empathogens. Whereas benzo's and opiates turn off and restrict your mind and therefore provide relief from the harshness of the world, psychedelics can provide euphoria and insight, and are not addictive. Benzos and opiates are a negative high, whereas psychedelics are a positive one. They obviously have completely different uses and are suitable for different situations though. I have been addicted to both opioids and benzos (and still indulge sometimes) so I'm not trying to claim that downers can't be recreational, but they provide a very limited experience that ceases to be exciting pretty fast. People are different, some people can use benzos and opiates occasionally, but if you suffer from anxiety or depression it is very easy to slip into a habit of regular use.

I understand that most people in UK get their medical care from the NHS which has become very anti-benzos.

However, do you still have the option of opting out of NHS and seeing a private doctor? Are private doctors more easygoing about scripting benzos (and other things discouraged by NHS?)
Yes in the UK you can pay for a private dr. Private doctors definitely have more free reign to prescribe benzos and usually do from what I hear. They do prescribe opioids but they are definitely more guarded about it. I believe @Wilson Wilson has spoken about going to a private dr.

Yes in the UK you can pay for a private dr. Private doctors definitely have more free reign to prescribe benzos and usually do from what I hear. They do prescribe opioids but they are definitely more guarded about it. I believe @Wilson Wilson has spoken about going to a private dr.

This is encouraging to know. I’ve just applied for a university course in London to start next October if Covid finished by then, was a bit worried about maintaining my supply of dexamfetamine and valium while there.

Whereas I took my pregabalin as prescribed for just a month or two and it was worse than any benzo withdrawal I've gone through even Xanax. Even oxy withdrawal was not as bad as pregabalin withdrawal to me.

this is interesting as I got quite bad withdrawals from SSRIs, none really from Benzos, although I've only really been an on-again-off-again user of them (and I've experienced some bad foolishness with using higher-than-recommended doses of Benzos)

But Pregabalin is the only one I can say I've actually enjoyed - that said, I didn't have them prescribed, take far higher doses than you're supposed to, and only take them occasionally (you pretty much have to with their rapid-onset tolerance)

I've heard people describe Preg as everything from a life-saver to a living hell, as you found out