• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Are benzoes more psychologically addicitve than stims?

Berdo tm1

Bluelighter
I spose its a case by case thing and depends on what your using them for?

Ive been advised by people on here not to take stims and to take downers instead if anything. but i always shied away from them firstly cos i loved my dopa stims most whatever made me most horny but also cos of fear of physical addction with downers.

So are benzoes more psyhcologically addictive than stims like coke or amp since i never had a problem with the latter in the past? and presumably if psyhcological addiction is kept in check then physcial addiction isnt a worry?

If I took them instead of sitms i was thinking Id take benzoes once a week before i went out to try and pull chicks. I was looking at pyrazolam since it seems to not have the hangover and sedation that otehr benzoes have. That was the main reaosn i didnt like them as they would make me feel zombified all the next day but pyrazolam seems to not have that from what i read. The shorter half life and no active metabolites would also lower the dependence risk would it not?

I was reading of a guy who took pyrazolam every day for 6 months and said when he stopped he just had a bit of insomnia and fine. Not that id want them every day just saying sounds more lenient than other tales of benzoes.

Might be better to try and find xanax instead since its an analogue of that and its more well known so dont have the unknown rc issue.

They are psychologically addictive, but not nearly as much as your stimulant of choice. Don't think that means that you can't get just as addicted to uppers as you can to downers though.

You won't get physically sick if you stop using stimulants after a big habit, but every aspect of your life will seem more difficult without them until you get used to not having extra dopamine flooding your system. With downers you get through being sick and then you feel normal.

Also don't start depending on benzos to be social. Ive been addicted to everything at one point. I liked them because I got anxious and awkward and they made that go away, pretty soon I had to have them for pretty much all social settings. When I stopped using them I had to relearn basic social skills, I didn't do shit except go to work for like 6 months because I literally forgot how to have friends. I would have been much better off just dealing with the awkwardness when I was 17-20 rather than stunting my social development for half a decade.

Last edited:
A good way to gauge a drug's addictiveness, though not foolproof, is to find out if it is a controlled substance under the Controlled Substances Act of 1971. That law classified controlled substances into schedules, from I to V. The lower the number, the more addictive / desirable to us drug addicts. One example of a flaw in that methodology, is OTC Benzedrex inhalers aka propylhexedrine. They are still desirable to those of us who enjoy stimulants, which is most of us as 90% of people who take Adderall feel better after taking even the first dose, even though they are not Federally controlled at all.

Most benzodiazepines are Schedule IV, with the exception of Rohypnol (flunitrazepam), which is Scedule I not for addictiveness but because people were supposed to be using it as a date rape drug. Amphetamine, methamphetamine, and cocaine are all Schedule II. So no, benzos are not more psychologically addicting to most people than are stimulants, except in people with crippling social anxiety disorder; however, those people are self-medicating away their anxiety rather than chasing a high. I much prefer stimulants over benzos any day, but to each his own. Benzos are good for sleep IMO, and that's about it. As I got older, I shed my anxiety issues for the most part. I only use benzos to relax and fall asleep at night, though I haven't taken any in a while now. Plus, with stimulants you don't have to worry, ever, about becoming physically addicted to them like you have to with benzos. I've seen someone with a severe withdrawal syndrome stemming from Klonopin (clonazepam) abuse when I was in rehab, and it isn't pretty. However, as long as you keep your dose reasonable, you can use benzodiazepines every day, and then quit them and not suffer from any withdrawal syndrome in my experience (which for me, has largely been 30mg of temazepam [Restoril] at night).

Really Dresden, the government knows shit all about drugs. Weed is schedule 1, and we all know how benign that is. Horrible advice that taking benzos everyday is ok, as the withdrawal from them can be fatal; it does take a much longer time to develop dependence than most drugs though.

It depends on the person nobody can say definitely which is more psychologically addicting for any one other than themselves. Knowing you a good bit Berdo, I'd assume you'd find benzos more psychologically addicting because it temporarily fix most of you're problems without adding anxiety and a crash like stims.

Last edited:
Why aren't you worried about the physical addiction to benzos (and other downers)? As f33lg00d says withdrawal can be fatal, that outranks any psychological craving. Benzos are almost as bad as drinking.

He is he's very concerned about them, he didn't want to use them at all at first because of dependence. It's just not what he's wondering about rn.

And I completely disagree, with dependce being worse then psychological addiction. Psychological addiction is much harder to deal with then dependence; psychological is what gets you hooked in the first place and what causes for relapse. Many nonaddicts that take opiates/benzos for many reason become dependent but don't have trouble stopping with a proper taper. Of course this pretty much just opinion.

like you said it depends on the person and the reason for use

someone who feels they need benzos for their anxiety relief might find them psychologically addicting

my personal opinion is that stimulants are much more addicting in that sense though, even though i take benzos much more often.

They've caused me more problems than probably any other drug and still I come back each and every time. So yeah I think they're addictive. If I was to put them upn against crack/method then I'd say no theyre not.

Ye I dont think i wanna risk benzoes. It was just a flight of fancy since dr feelgood encouraged me to try them. Drugs are to me like a minefield of costs vs benefits.

Kratom is doing me good as an antidepressant/relaxer but it isnt storng enough or it doesnt fit what i need for the otehr side of the toolbox, a social booster to boost my horniness and motivation to push thru the rejections galvanising the willpower to alow me to get a girlfriend. And dopa stims are the absolute gold standard for that in my book its whether i want to risk it or not.

Last edited:
without reading my experience to the subject is yes because stim use has always led2 more benzos / some type of depressant

The idea I like about downers is you dont have to plan out poly drug use and if you took a little too much youd just have a nice restful sleep (within reason) so perhaps it is worth me experimenting a little with downers. It seems about 50/50 to me risk wise between downers and uppers at the mo. and still too scared to try either, depends whether life pressures push me into either.

Kratom is really hitting the spot for chilling around the house but isnt any good for going out and facing the world.

I think getting into bad habits is more about the person than the habit/drug. People can get 'psychologically addicted' to almost any behaviour. You get physically addicted to downers if you take them too regularly & it's going to need a taper, preferably managed by a medical professional, to come off them safely.

Downers Or More Specifically Benzodiazepines are MORE FAR MORE ADDICTIVE IN EVERY AND ANY POSSIBLE COMPARABLE WAY and MUCH MORE A LOT MORE WAYS Than All Or Any Stimulant Addiction/Psychological Addictive Effects that can Be Experienced By One Person.

As somebody that suffers from anxiety, this is an interesting question. Stims are more compulsive and reinforcing during the high, however, if the high goes on too long I begin to feel cracked out, and I just want the experience to end. And while they can be enjoyable, they aren't something I want to experience everyday. Benzo's, however, don't make me feel high, they make me feel normal. So while I don't feel a euphoric rush, the cessation of anxiety causes a definite psychological addiction. I've never felt like I needed stims, they were just something fun to do. However, there was a time when I didn't think I was capable of being a normal human being without benzo's. I managed to taper off them, but I still don't feel 100%. If you have an addictive personality and anxiety, it's very easy to become psychologically addicted to benzos. For me benzos were more psychologically addictive, but, ultimately, this is a pretty subjective question. The answer will be different for everyone.

Well I already take kratom once a week and have no inclination to take it more. That also gives me good anxiety relief but it doesnt suddenly make me want to take it every day.

I actually hated etizolam/diazepam because they would make me feel like a zombie the next day when I only really want them to calm my mind after stims. so I wouldnt want to feel like that all the time. That would be like torture to me being under a cloud of fog all the time. Thats why I like kratom because it gives you good relaxing effects and maybe even slows me down but my mind still feels really clear.

It's not like im a quivering wreck every second of the day I just get wound up if I dont have some sort of release.

Ideally Id like something else similar to kratom (in terms of risk profile) that was anxiolytic/sedative. Kanna seems like a good bet but I didnt like the spacey almost psychedelic effect it has when you first take it. It's a shame because after the 1st hour or so it feels like a very striahgt ssri.

Phenibut soudns like a winner in terms of mild effects until you read of that hideously fast and acute withdrawal.

Last edited:
in the 90s I was into speed and ecstasy and grew up and stopped these drugs with no problems. I am now in my 40s and a bit of a benzo head. IMHO benzos are much harder to come off I have been on benzos for over a year only 1mg of clonapin per night but stupidly got into the RC benzo scene and got myself a flubromazepam habit which I am in the middle of trying to jump off. I have been using 24 mg per night for 10 nights then I will reduce by 8 mg and stay on i6 mg a night for 20 days then its down to 8 mg for 30 days. I never had to do this with stims so benzos are far more psychologically addictive and hard to come off

It all depends on what you use them for. Stims are nice, sure, but I have severe anxiety and so my psychological addiction to benzos is off the scale. And I guess benzo W/D is worse because it lasts SOOO long.. don't know about meth addiction though.