• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Anyone know roughly how much DXM needed to help prevent opioid w/d?

Bomb319

Bluelighter
For several reasons, I will miss my dose of methadone tomorrow and therefore go 48 hours without (I've done this many times, and depending on the measures I take to help prevent sickness, I can be anywhere from fine to up all night feeling pretty horribly sick. My dose is 220 mg per day, but I often take some out of the following day's dose because my metabolism just fires through it in no time otherwise :( Anyway, drinking a bunch of white grapefruit juice can easily push the emergence of withdrawal symptoms back a day. I only recently began trying DXM as an occasional alternative, and I don't know how much of it to take for this particular situation. I don't want to overdo it - it's bad enough I need so much methadone but the fact is that if I go past a day without any counter-measures or if I just take 220 mg or under, I can get pretty horribly sick.

Last weekend, I went 2 full days without my normal dose, thinking that it shouldn't be a problem since I had a bunch of white GFJ on day 1 without. Boy was I wrong. I was truly the sickest I've been in a very long time - possibly ever. I was writhing on my bed with anxiety and restless legs, literally trying not to scream. My sinuses and head felt like they were going to blow up they were so sore, my pupils were as big as my head, I had horrible hot flashes and freezing goosebump spells that were worse than any previous time I cold-turkeyed IV heroin, I started to get sneezing fits and very watery eyes, I even began to get some late withdrawal symptoms such as ever-increasing nausea (to the point where I was very concerned about throwing up on the way to the pharmacy or after taking my dose), and worst of all - watching each and every minute slowly tick by on the clock with such severe anxiety, I literally wanted to die.

I felt so sick and profoundly restless, I settle into doing a thing toward the early morning - including sleep. I was up the entire night. It was so brutal, I wasn't even able to distract myself by watching TV or trying to take my mind off of it; the hot flashes and temperature dysregulation were coming on so fast and furious, I was getting them a couple times a minute. Part of this was due to the fact that I coincidentally had also run out of Clonidine and Diphenhydramine at the exact same time, and I take 0.3 mg Clonidine per night (and 100 mg diph every 4-6 hours).

For me, one of the most horrible symptoms is the burst of hot flashes where I sweat uncontrollaby and with severe discomfort. When the drug really starts to leave my system and it begins to come on in waves, it makes me feel so much sicker it's unbelievable. I then try to make it as cold as I possibly can in my room by turning off the heat entirely, opening the windows and blowing the fan at me on high - then I immediately get extremely and uncomfortably cold with child and goosebumps, of course. But the second I turn off the fan, BAM - hot flash with extreme sweating again. Man oh man...I know it would get much worse if I had to go several more days without anything, but I have no more ability to handle withdrawal.

It just saps the life out of me and makes me want to kill myself, I've been dealing with it for so long. While I was addicted to heroin and pills, I went through withdrawal every day or other day for awhile - for years. At least the methadone is much better in that it generally does give me my life back. Unfortunately, I didn't know just how quickly my body metabolizes it. I can't (and don't want to) go any higher on my methadone, and there's really not much point in doing so. The psychology of knowing I'm out and can't get more for many hours certainly contributes to it, but there's no doubt it's mostly physical and therefore actually real, based on the symptoms I just described.

really? Wow, I've been taking like 5-10 mg lol. No wonder I didn't feel anything. 100-200 seems like a hell of a lot though, especially considering I take so much methadone. As both are NMDA receptors, I don't want to do anything dangerous and/or stupid. What exactly does DXM do for withdrawal anyway?

I actually am not very well educated on the specifics of how it helps withdrawal, all i know is that it plays a role with glutamate and GABA due to the NMDA receptor activation. But 100mg is not very high at all, but if you plan on mixing it with methadone, i would advise taking somewhere around 60mg.