• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc anyone here take Cymbalta (SNRI) for pain?

strity1994

Bluelighter
I suffer from chronic pain and was wondering if the anti depressant Cymbalta could help? This med is said to hit opiod receptors.
Thank you

I suffer from chronic pain and was wondering if the anti depressant Cymbalta could help? This med is said to hit opiod receptors.
Thank you

No, Cymbalta doesn't have any appreciable affinity for your opioid receptors.
However, "Noradrenaline Reuptake Inhibition" generally equals "improved resilience to chronic pain", and Cymbalta gives you a bigger noradrenaline boost than the other popular SNRI, Effexor

Word of caution: Should you take Cymbalta but still require stronger pain relief whenever the pain really flares up, then you should probably avoid Tramadol, or atleast be aware of the interactions: Cymbalta inhibits the conversion of Tramadol (weak opioid, strong serotonergic) to O-Desmethyl-Tramadol (strong opioid, weak serotonergic); in other words: Trams will be weaker on Cymbalta, but you can't just take more of them because you're increasing the risk of serotonin syndrome. Which also means that attempting the recreational use of Tramadol on Cymbalta is basically a trip to seizuresville.

No, Cymbalta doesn't have any appreciable affinity for your opioid receptors.
However, "Noradrenaline Reuptake Inhibition" generally equals "improved resilience to chronic pain", and Cymbalta gives you a bigger noradrenaline boost than the other popular SNRI, Effexor

Word of caution: Should you take Cymbalta but still require stronger pain relief whenever the pain really flares up, then you should probably avoid Tramadol, or atleast be aware of the interactions: Cymbalta inhibits the conversion of Tramadol (weak opioid, strong serotonergic) to O-Desmethyl-Tramadol (strong opioid, weak serotonergic); in other words: Trams will be weaker on Cymbalta, but you can't just take more of them because you're increasing the risk of serotonin syndrome. Which also means that attempting the recreational use of Tramadol on Cymbalta is basically a trip to seizuresville.

1. Does the pain relief of tramadol diminish over time? Tolerance is an issue with most pain killers. At least Cymbalta will provide a steady boost of noradrenaline to provide pain relief. Will tramadol provide consistent pain relief effects or is it like oxycodone where one has to keep raising the dosage.

Last edited:
I have lower back pain, as my last three discs have collapsed and are in the process of fusing on their own. My pain management clinic suggested Cymbalta because it is now recommended for lower back pain and nerve pain. It helped at first, but over the course of the year, I gained 16 pounds. So I decided to come off of it. I tapered; perhaps too fast because it was summer and I wanted the weight off, but it was the WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE. Just an FYI.