• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Anyone heard of MAOI's??

Mighty-oak

Bluelighter
Out of interest here......

Has anyone heard of a group of meds called MAOI's? They have serious food and OTC drug interactions. Normally used as a last resort when other meds dont work for depression and anxiety.

If anyone has heard or used them, how did you feel, are they any good?

I am taking Tranylcypromine (Parnate in the US, Jatrosom in Europe) at 30 mg per day and I believe it to be a highly effective antidepressant, and no, in this age of pasteurized milk and highly controlled fermentation processes your head won't explode from accidentally eating a bite of cheese.

What's also nice is that Tranylcypromine is a derivative of amphetamine, so taking your dose in the morning will give you an extra jolt of energy to get out of bed. Speaking of amphetamine - yes, recreational use of stims is certainly a no-no on MAOIs, but experienced doctors do sometimes combine carefully dosed stims with them. So again, no exploding heads will result from accidentally taking a cold remedy with a few mg of Pseudoephedrine in it.

So if your doctor is offering this stuff to you and you aren't a hardcore molly-popping Kandi-RavR (PLUR!!!!!1) I'd say go for it.

MAOIs were the ONLY antidepressants that worked for me. It took me time to convince the doctors because they're afraid with all the different interactions with food and OTC medications. Some of the interactions are blown out of proportions, but it's best to follow the guidelines. I took Parnate and Nardil separately years ago. I watched my diet closely which helped with weight loss. I was mostly eating veggies and safe food I felt AMAZING and alive again. I had a boyfriend at the time and every day I was eager to have a new adventure with him.

The MAOIs eventually stopped working and I went back to not wanting to live. Since it's been years now, I wonder if I could try to go back on one and see if it works again. Give it a try if you can, just study the list of what you can and cannot eat. You also should get a wristband saying you take an MAOI because if you end up in the hospital for whatever reason, they'll see the wristband and won't use anything that will interact with it and kill you.

Thanks greatly for the replies. I read that MAOI's are meant to be excellent for anxiety/agoraphobia? Also the only thing that worries me is that I am on an SSRI and they cant be taken together. Are MAOI's ok to take with benzos and are they ok for people who suffer from asthma who need to take inhalers?

Look up moclobemide,its a reversible MAOIs, so it has less side effects/interactions with drugs/food.
I've read a lot of promising reports about it :)

Thanks greatly for the replies. I read that MAOI's are meant to be excellent for anxiety/agoraphobia? Also the only thing that worries me is that I am on an SSRI and they cant be taken together. Are MAOI's ok to take with benzos and are they ok for people who suffer from asthma who need to take inhalers?

Maybe you have to come off the SSRI to try the MAOI, but it's worth trying. An MAOI alone can change your life. I remember taking benzos with MAOI...I think. I don't remember ever stopping my klonopin while on it. As far as using it with an inhaler, I don't know. You need to research that.
It was definitely excellent for anxiety and agoraphobia. I didn't think twice about leaving the house and always wanted to enjoy being outside or doing some kind of activity.

I grow the B. Caapi vine (one half of the ingredients in ayahausca) it's an MAOI which allows DMT to be taken orally where it would be inactive otherwise. Plenty of people benefit from the brew without adding the other DMT containing element.

MAOI's have great benefits for some folks.

Basically MAOIs interact
a) directly with all sorts of biogenic amines in your food, but mainly tyramine, which raises blood pressure
b) directly with many tryptamine and phenylethylamine-class drugs (ex.: DMT)
c) indirectly with anything that raises neurotransmitter levels: The alpha-methyl group in amphetamine means that the drug itself is relatively unaffected by your MAO enzymes, but it will release neurotransmitters that the MAOI will prevent from being degraded. This is especially problematic with serotonergic drugs like SSRIs, SNRIs or Serotonin Releasing Agents - a normal dose of MDMA can easily turn into a life-threatening event on MDMA. Also, certain drugs like Diphenhydramine or Tramadol have "hidden" SSRI/SNRI properties.

Sometimes I have to take anti-histamines, wonder if these would clash with an MAOI? Also I have an 'Epi-pen' for allergic reactions to aspirin and have to sometimes use a blue inhaler for mild asthma or when I get a cold. Sometimes the Dr puts me on Prednisolone and anti-biotics when I have a cold......So there are a few things there that may clash with an MAOI.....Although I hope not as they do sound like a wonder drug and would like to try it.

Sometimes I have to take anti-histamines, wonder if these would clash with an MAOI? Also I have an 'Epi-pen' for allergic reactions to aspirin and have to sometimes use a blue inhaler for mild asthma or when I get a cold. Sometimes the Dr puts me on Prednisolone and anti-biotics when I have a cold......So there are a few things there that may clash with an MAOI.....Although I hope not as they do sound like a wonder drug and would like to try it.

Epi-Pen? As in Epinephrine autoinjector? Surprisingly enough, the interaction between epinephrine and MAOIs seems to be relatively minor, or atleast less dangerous than an actual anaphylactic shock.
http://emj.bmj.com/content/17/2/143.full

Prednisolone and anti-biotics do not look like the kind of molecule that would be affected by an MAOI. MAOIs normally shred neurotransmitters and molecules that are closely related to neurotransmitters - take tyramine, the molecule that led to the discovery of MAOI-related dietary restrictions: Its structure is the same as dopamine's, minus a single hydroxyl group.

Of course the degree of the interactions depends heavily on the dose though - I get a robust antidepressant effect from 30 mgs of Tranylcypromine, and I can handle minor amounts of fermented food just fine.

Epi-Pen? As in Epinephrine autoinjector? Surprisingly enough, the interaction between epinephrine and MAOIs seems to be relatively minor, or atleast less dangerous than an actual anaphylactic shock.
http://emj.bmj.com/content/17/2/143.full

Prednisolone and anti-biotics do not look like the kind of molecule that would be affected by an MAOI. MAOIs normally shred neurotransmitters and molecules that are closely related to neurotransmitters - take tyramine, the molecule that led to the discovery of MAOI-related dietary restrictions: Its structure is the same as dopamine's, minus a single hydroxyl group.

Of course the degree of the interactions depends heavily on the dose though - I get a robust antidepressant effect from 30 mgs of Tranylcypromine, and I can handle minor amounts of fermented food just fine.

Wow, thanks....You really know your chemistry. Would anti-histamines be ok to use as well? My diet is.....Oats,milk,rice,pasta,chicken,bananas,green leafy veg,potatoes and baked beans.....So fairly simple, think these are all ok to eat with an MAOI?

:| I'm at the "not wanting to live" stage...have been here for months since hospitalization for GI issues. I've taken Zoloft for years. I think it's time for a change, but I fear "worse" depression.

This is interesting...

:| I'm at the "not wanting to live" stage...have been here for months since hospitalization for GI issues. I've taken Zoloft for years. I think it's time for a change, but I fear "worse" depression.

This is interesting...

Please keep strong! Ask your Dr about Nardil, meant to be amazing :)