• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Anyone else on buprenorphine maintenance use low doses for recreation?

limitless_euphoria

Greenlighter
Anyone on buprenorphine maintenance find ways to enjoy it?

Buprenorphine (Buprenex/Suboxone etc.) is a very unique drug in that less is more, just in case you are not in the know. That is to say, doses in the lower range e.g. 0.25-1 mg taken every few hours tend to act more like a full-agonist narcotic than a partial-agonist narcotic. Doctors that have their patients on maintenance therapy DO NOT want their patients to know this dirty little secret. If you aren't inclined to believe this, just search "buprenorphine for pain" and there are a myriad of threads about BUTRANS (the buprenorphine pain patch that delivers low-dose buprenorphine almost like the fentanyl patch) and Buprenex injections (IV/IM) that are given, typically at 0.6 mg every 6 hours.

Believe it or not, when you take daily doses greater than 4 mg you end up saturating your opiate receptors and you don't feel much of anything. For years, I was taking between 8-16 mg once daily and I was convinced I absolutely needed that much.

One day, on Opiophile (a former board dedicated to the love of opiates), I read about people doing low doses of bupe for recreational purposes and loving it. So, I tried it and was amazed.

I quickly discovered all I needed was 2-3 mg of sub per day to get by and what's more feel excellent. When I had the generic buprenorphine tabs, I could IM/IV them in doses of ~0.5 mg and almost catch a nod. When my insurance would only pay for the strips, I switched to the 4 mg strips, cut them into quarters, and snorted 1 mg pieces dissolved in water and found I could get off almost as well. I found spacing them out every eight hours was nice.

Does anyone else on maintenance do the same? What are your tricks?

What I like about this is not only is it enjoyable and do I save extra sub for a rainy day but I'm also open in case I'm in pain and I need to break through (or if something comes up and I want to use a full-agonist opiate, it's possible).

Some might know about this. Others might not. I thought I would share. Your thoughts?

NOTE: For someone that is opiate naive (who doesn't have a tolerance), you might even be able to use a dose as low as 0.125-0.25 mg to catch a nice buzz. As with any opiate, there are some who find buprenorphine unpleasant. I guess you would only know if you try it.

Yeah, this is actually quite common knowledge on Bluelight. I definitely feel you though. There's a few reasons why this might be the case, the first being that at lower dosages norbuprenorphine, which is one of buprenorphines main metabolites, and also a full agonist, has room to attach at empty receptors. The second theory, which I find more plausible for some reason is that it's just that at lower dosages there is more of a spike when a dose is taken, because the blood levels aren't nearly as steady/constant at a dose like 1mg/day compared to 8mg/day.

I've expiramented a lot with buprenorphine, used different dosages and ROA's etc.. IMO, as long as you had a real habit to begin with, Buprenorphine is incredibly limited in terms of recreational value. Yes the low dosages feel a lot more like a full agonist, but not a full agonist like heroin or oxycodone, more like methadone. Don't get me wrong, I think it's way better to be on a low dosage, it used to help my cravings more because I could actually feel it, but I don't want to give people the idea that I was getting blasted every time I took .5mg.

Also, in order to get that effect out of low dose Buprenorphine, you need to taper down. You can't just be one 8mg/day and expect great things to come out of .5mg. I'm sure this is pretty obvious to some, but for others who aren't familiar with the whole 'less is more' theory-well that's why I'm putting it out there. And one last thing I'd like to point out, while I do believe that Buprenorphine is prescribed at unnecessarily high dosages, I also think that sometimes more is more, for certain people. People who are trying to just have a feeling of maintenance, balance, etc will probably get more out of 8mg/day and not feeling withdrawal creeping up their spine every 14 hours or so like people who take 1mg/day or less. It's kind of a trade off in that way. But for me, I'd rather feel something and feel shitty some of the time rather than just feel nothing all the time.

I started on 16mg a few months ago and on 8mg now, I take the 8mg throughout the day in 2-3 mg doses. If I was to start only taking 2-4 mg a day would I start noticing benefits of taking less right away or would I have a few days of freeing some minor Wd from not taking enough before starting to feel good

I too am a former opiophile! I wish it didn't get shut down or whatever happened.. miss the good old 'phile. But anyways I too love bupe! I get off on it every time I do like a 1-2mg shot of 'tex IV. I also take 1mg kpins throughout the day as well which potentiates the bupe. I have not done a full agonist in over a year, at the very least, because I like the way bupe makes me feel so much and it lasts so much longer than most of the full agonists I used to do (hydromorph, oxy, h, etc.). I also love the fact that its so easy to get prescribed.. all you have to do is say your an opiate addict and have opiates/opioids come up in your UA the first visit. And when I combine the bupe with my kpins and smoke some good bud, wow! that is amazing! it makes the bupe feel like a whole new drug.. I will nod off and be absolutely faded if I smoke bud with my meds, I am not a daily weed smoker though like I used to be so I have a low tolerance to thc.
IV bupe+klonopin+THC= BLISS

I used to take 2mg and I felt a nice energetic "high" but when I went to 8mg a second time getting clean I really didn't feel it the same way

Yes I enjoy it too..I use Butrans or because I am an Aussie Norspan patches
I get sick of running out of patches early though...and I always do
The main problem are the WD are fierce and long because of the big half life
I could do without that right at this moment !!

Yeah, bupe is really a whole different animal when it's combined with another drug (e.g. cannabis or benzos). The key is spacing doses, keeping a low tolerance and taking a low enough dose (usually 1 mg or less). By the way, I would NOT IV/IM the strips. Bad idea. While it's fun with the generic bupe tabs you're risking an abscess with the strips because of the flavoring agent. Well 95% of you guys should know that.

BUTRANS patch users: what is that like? Does it work well for pain? Do you catch a buzz from it? I hear, like some people say with fentanyl patches in the 2nd and 3rd day, it falls short towards the end of its 6th and 7th day (given that it's supposed to last a week, that kind of sucks). Perhaps it has to do with how well the patch adheres to the skin or the delivery system, too.

P.S. Bupe is not my favorite opiate, however, if being opiate-free is like abstaining from sex and a full-agonist opiate is like having intercourse, I suppose low-dose bupe is like getting a decent hand job. I've made a few addicts laugh along the way with that analogy.

I've never experienced anything like this and I've been on bupe for years and done between <1mg-~18mg at a time. the most ...pretty much any I ever felt it was the latter, ~18mg IV subutex; and it must be subutex unfortunately, I've IVed various amounts of suboxone and zubsolv thousands if not tens of thousands of times and never felt a single damn thing.
I'm jealous of y'all.

Yeah, the smaller doses after weaning down while on maintenance will allow you to feel something when you dose. Like Znegative said, the metabolite norbuprenorphine gets a chance to attach to the receptors too, since there dose you're taking is so small, it doesn't cover all your receptors. I also noticed the more time you wait to dose it, the more you will feel it. I usually dose every 12 hours.

While I was opiate naive or had abstained from all opiates for a certain amount of time, then I came across some bupe, I would take 2mg and feel awesome, like really good.

What's the max dosage you would take in 24 hours to still feel the good feelings? 2-4 mg daily? Also, would you space it out?

If I take less I just feel less held. I also read that norbupe is kicked out of the brain like immodium but I'm not sure.

I too am a former opiophile! I wish it didn't get shut down or whatever happened.. miss the good old 'phile.

The site owner stole money and basically used the site as collateral, playing games with the other staffers and refusing the pay the rent for the server so it got shut down. Made up a bunch of stories and forged documents that "proved" his side of the story. A bunch of his personal information got outed, and some members migrated to that "Drugs & Users" board, but it isn't very active sadly.

The site owner stole money and basically used the site as collateral, playing games with the other staffers and refusing the pay the rent for the server so it got shut down. Made up a bunch of stories and forged documents that "proved" his side of the story. A bunch of his personal information got outed, and some members migrated to that "Drugs & Users" board, but it isn't very active sadly.

Oh wow! I kinda figured it was something like that... seeing how many times while I was a member on there the site would always just be down at the most random times. all those donations from the people who were nice enough to believe his lies and send him all that money to get it back up and running got taken for a ride apparently. That's so shitty. I will always miss that site though, it was very helpful to me many times. lots of interesting shit was on there. RIP opiophile.

Yup, huge cadre of information lost. The site had been dovetailing for about a year before it went down, honestly. As you noticed, it was constantly and repeatedly down the last few months. Supposedly there was a 'server fire' and I guess this was BS and staged as well.

I feel great on 4MG/daily. I tried to play the lowball game and catch the "best" feeling but I hit those WD's. plus, I always feel fine w/ 4MG and ready to go; no urge to use, no nothing. I just dont feel "dull", so I am good w/ 4MG. everyone is different when it comes to bupe; I was coming from a 2G+/day habit and also a lot of fent; so my habit was up there. went from 16MG/bupe to 4MG/bupe over 6 months and feeling better now than ever. tried going to 2MG a few times but will wake up w/ those night sweats. I am in no rush, so oh well.

I've heard the withdrawals are bad.how long till they were full force on you.?

I found that snorting the zubsolv is great. I was burnt out on chasing that 4 hour high from regular opiates like hydro oxy dilaudid .it saved my life and my bank acct.I would compare it to methadone as it's not a speedy buzz unless you want it to be.Lol covered in sweat and jaw clenched is me most days.but on the flip side I can do my usual dose and kick back and trip on the tv and chill.miracle drug for shizzel

ImSTILLtrying said:
I feel great on 4MG/daily. I tried to play the lowball game and catch the "best" feeling but I hit those WD's. plus, I always feel fine w/ 4MG and ready to go; no urge to use, no nothing. I just dont feel "dull", so I am good w/ 4MG. everyone is different when it comes to bupe; I was coming from a 2G+/day habit and also a lot of fent; so my habit was up there. went from 16MG/bupe to 4MG/bupe over 6 months and feeling better now than ever. tried going to 2MG a few times but will wake up w/ those night sweats. I am in no rush, so oh well.

Yeah, that's the "catch" in this "less is more", it is or it is not. With a high tolerance after years of using full agonists a low dose is simply not going to hold you. It is possible to experience buprenorphine high by decreasing your tolerance but it is very hard for the very reason you mentioned, it takes quite some time to lower your tolerance with buprenorphine. If someone wants to feel the bupe high, chances are decreasing their tolerance to the level low enough to feel more pronounced effects is beyond their ability at the moment anyway. Also, once you get to the point of feeling bupe again, it takes very little time to get back to your previous higher dose because those low doses aren't really working as long.