• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Anyone else have trouble sleeping on GHB?

burn out

Bluelighter
I know it's supposed to knock you out, but for some reason I can't fall asleep after I take GHB. I had a good trip on some GHB tonight and now I just want to pass out, but when I lie down I can't fall asleep. My body is quite relaxed but my mind remains awake.

As far as I'm aware that is a common response/side effect for many people.

Although I'm no expert. So I hope more people respond.

But I have to say, even though I was EXTREMELY well connected back in my drug "heyday", I NEVER once came across anyone who mentioned even knowing someone who could get GHB. It's just non-existent in the state I live I guess.

....I guess it's kinda like how Heroin can cause you to die from respiratory depression or something like that, but at the same time Heroin is capable of making you act AND feel like you are full of energy...especially early on in your opiate drug use and when you are only snorting, plugging, or orally taking it(yes there are ways to take heroin orally, they're just not worth it).
So are you an experienced user or not? what's your tolerance? and what dosage were you taking?

jB

This is only my second time taking it, so no tolerance. My first trip I didn't enjoy it that much, so I let it sit in a drawer for many months and then out of the blue last night I got this strange sense that it was the right time to give it another go. This time I had a really good trip. I feel like it's mind expanding potential is underrated. I find it very introspective. It helps me feel more at ease/at peace with myself but in a far gentler way than MDMA, which I find rough on both my mind and body. Unlike alcohol or other CNS depressants, I can think very clearly on it. I took about 1.5 gram.

Low doses can be quite stimulating while high doses will knock you out

It's a very fine line though.

To the OP I wouldn't recommend trying to knock yourself out on GHB, or yu may end up waking up e.g on the bathroom floor with your front teeth missing.

I was using prescription GHB for a while.

4.5g 2x/night

Worked just great for a while. After about six months, I can be tired and ready for bed, take the G, and next thing you know I'm cleaning the house and ordering shit on Amazon.

In your case I believe it is dose related because 1.5g is very low. 2.5+ without tolerance and you'd better be ready for bed.

Looking into the sites that GHB binds to there are 2 known. The GABA-B receptor is it binds causing sedative/hypnotic effects at higher doses. However there is another less well understood "GHB receptor" this receptor is exitory not inhibitory. So small amounts activate the excitory GHB receptor, but at larger concentration the inhibitory GABA-B overrides it and its lights out. Then as plasma levels taper off once again the excitory GHB receptors will be active after the inhibitory GABA effects wear off. Thats the rebound that bolts users out of deep sleep.

Personal experience was while it did work as a sleep aid back when sold otc in health food stores in the 90's... my only issue was you are so far asleep...well lets just say i gave it up as a sleep aid. First few times were ok till 1 time i pissed the bed ok maybe that was just some freak accident, but after that happened again... nope. Not worth getting great sleep that is one side effect i wasn't gonna put up with. At least i can laugh about it now but nah. Only other sleep aid had same effect was 1st time i tried Pregabalin too. Thats the only 3 times i pissed the bed in my adult life. It's just when G puts you out, you are OUT. If youre gonna use like a light alcohol substitute i thought it was ok for that though certainly less toxic. But the sleep you get is 3-4hrs tops anyway then need redose.