• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Anyone else been using benzos for 10+ years?

From 2009-2017 I had a psychiatrist treating me for PTSD and Insomnia who put me on obscene amounts of benzos. I was first prescribed them 14 years ago in 2008. Just 1mg a day of clonazepam.
When I went to this next Dr, the guy took cash only and no insurance, that should've been a red flag, but at the time I really thought I wanted to be on large doses of benzos because I was young and traumatized and they were the only drug that made me feel better and I didn't know what I was getting into. This new Doc put me from 1mg of clonazepam daily to 6mg of Alprazolam daily along with 30 mg of Temazepam every night for my insomnia. He was always willing to switch me to a new benzo for sleep every other week to keep stacking the number of pills I had access to. I'd be on temazepam, complain it was making me groggy in the morning, then he'd try me on Triazolam, then Estazolam, then I even had him put me on Dalmane for a while. But it was most often the 6mg of Alprazolam with 30 mg of Temazepam for 8 years until one day My Doc tells me he's moving to Florida and that I need to find a new Doc within the next 90 days.
I eventually Got connected with another Doc who had been busted for money laundering and had just gotten his license back. He wrote my subutex script and put kept me on the Xanax 6mg a day but got rid of the Temazepam right away. Then he switched me to Xanax Xr (This was 2018 10 years into my benzo prescription). On the way back from one of my appointments with this doctor, I got pulled over on the way home and got a DUI. I went up to college the next year and one day he called me and his nurse said I had to be at an appointment that week. I told her I was across the state at college and couldn't be there and she basically said that the doc was refusing to refill my prescription unless I came to an in person Doctors appointment across the state, which I just couldn't do.
So I found a new psychiatrist in Asheville and almost immediately after he started writing my prescriptions he checked my medical history and was horrified by the amount of narcotics and benzos I was being prescribed so I'm seeing this guy, (Psychiatrist number four) and he finally busts me for my obscene prescription drug history and he weans me off of benzos by switching me from 6 mg Alprazolam to 3mg Clonazepam and weans me down .5 mg a month until I'm completely off. That was about 3 years ago.
Since then I have been trying to deal with my trauma and anxiety without taking as many benzos but whenever I can find them in the neighborhood I buy them up. The past couple weeks I've had .5-1mg of Clonazepam most afternoons to relax and get ready for bed (I bought a script of 60 .5 mg klonopins off a friend). I really feel like I need them available to me on a daily basis but definitely not in the obscene amounts I was taking in my youth. By the Way I have PTSD from a troubled youth facility where I was kidnapped and held against my will when I was sixteen. I was really suffering and sometimes I still have horrific nightmares and wake up in a panic covered in sweat. It's a hard life.

Last edited:
I've been using Benzos for about 10 years but my Dr retired and the new Dr refuses to prescribe them .
Despite being on them.for so long he immediately switched me to seroquel and Lyrica without tapering whatsoever....
Benzos literally saved my life and allowed me to go back to work.
I have extreme and severe insomnia and I have very few options for sleep aids these days.
Is daily Lyrica safer than daily diazepam???
I just need to sleep in order to function and keep doing my job.
Yes, benzos are addictive but is Lyrica any better? Is not sleeping for 2 weeks a healthier option than taking 20mg diazepam to get some rest before my 14 hour shift?
This recent trend to just stop prescribing anything addictive despite how much physical pain your in or how crippling your anxiety is or how debilitating your inability to sleep is goes against the the entire point of what tye medical community is supposed to do.
Lots of meds are addictive but people still need them for severe conditions.
Unless we suddenly greenlight a whole bunch of new classes of medications I feel Dr's are going to realize thst they are going to have to go back to prescribing benzos and opiates to patients thst truly need them.
The alternatives (Lyrica, seroquel, miratzepine, gabapentin) just aren't and won't provide the neccessary quality of life for people who are really suffering.
I tgibk if you suffer from severe chronic pain/anxiety/insomnia.
Addiction is not your main concern.

Damn, I just saw this tread and it freaked me out. I've been using for more than 10 years, on and off, all kinds of benzos but mostly diazepam and bromazepam. My doses have never been really that high, mostly within the therapeutic range. I did some stupid shit back in 2009-10-11 with high doses and booze, but that was sometimes only, not a regular thing. I quit many times with diazepam taper without any issues. My longest break was 6 months, there were several breaks of 3-4 months and many breaks of a month or so. Now I'm tapering again from 20 mg of diazepam, 1 mg per week. So I had no issues whatsoever during the past 5 weeks, I'm on 15 mg now and I've been feeling kinda depressed the past 3 days and anxious, but I don't know if this has to do with withdrawals or with some of my personal issues (job, health, etc), you know when your life issues catch up with you and it overlapped with my benzo taper and already ruined one attempt to quit. How serious you guys think my situation is? You can read my more detailed tread titled "benzo taper question", it's a few treads below this tread. I'd highly appreciate any advice. Thanx.

but as some do with heroin I can pace myself and not abuse it. I even have access to heroin and roxi, but they just give me a body high. I like the mental feeling of relaxation benzos provide me. I had a script for lorazepam and klonopin, then when my doctors started getting nosy I just started getting Xanax from my homeboys.
and
I just started getting Xanax from my homeboys
Dont do mot mix this you will end in The Shrine sooner than maybe later. Dont care about tolerance shit is deadly. Period.<3 Oh and other mixture with presses double/triple DNS and we really do not want this.
Simple death.
My opinion and experience.

benzo for maybe 4 decades with a coupla breaks lol
i would rather trust asia than jacksone meat ameket, asia want connections and $ which is what they say are "power" iirc
eh
be careful