• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Anyone eaten AMT? Anything like DMT?

Ismene2

Bluelighter
Anyone ever eaten AMT who is also familiar with eating DMT? Does the AMT have similar effects? Thank you my rockabilly buddies!

Pretty different, AMT is like 12+ hours, feels more speedy/serotonergic to me but I've never gone beyond a light dose.

I figured you would've tried AMT by now Ismene, I'm shocked!

Not very similar. Eating DMT is closer in effects to mushrooms and 4 aco dmt. AMT will feel more like a mildly trippy roll.

AMT is nothing whatsoever like DMT. DMT is a powerful psychedelic with ego death properties. AMT is much more of an empathogen than a psychedelic, it is a triple releaser (serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine), and is very rolly, more like MDA than it is like a psychedelic. AMT also lasts for 16+ hours. The two drugs could not be more different. Also AMT does not require an MAOI to be active, and in fact combining with an MAOI is extremely dangerous and likely to cause serotonin syndrome (AMT is actually a weak MAOI itself, which is why it is dangerous in very high dosages, but not until you reach like 150mg).

That said, I love AMT, it's one of my favorite drugs, extremely euphoric and lovely.

Pretty different, AMT is like 12+ hours, feels more speedy/serotonergic to me but I've never gone beyond a light dose.

I figured you would've tried AMT by now Ismene, I'm shocked!

Must have slipped under the radar! 😃 Think it was the " heavy nausea" that must have put me off.

its just with 4 aco being so like dmt ive been looking at anything else tryptamine-ish and thinking "i wonder.."

Cheers xorkoth - thats sorted me out, im tempted to give it a try. Does it really last 16 hours? Are you peaking for 16 hours or coming down for the last 6 hours?

Honestly it's the duration more than the nausea that's put me off taking a real dose of the stuff. But I'm guessing if you're feeling blissed out you wouldn't really care.

Just my two cents. Have used AMT in various doses, ayahuasca and smoked DMT.

Aya (oral dmt) and AMT are not at all similar beyond both having an indefinable tryptamine "flavour" visually. I will argue that in large doses (1-200mg) AMT is actually intensely psychedelic and extremely visual. Some very interesting visuals have occurred on it (people turning to clay, 3d rainbow creatures crawling through the air, people morphing into animals etc). More exciting than some higher dose acid trips I've had. At lower doses yes it is closer to a rolling feeling with some bright colours though.

To answer your question in short, no oral dmt and oral amt don't have much in common. Headspace, body feeling, 'high', visuals and atmosphere wise they're not similar

EDIT: regarding later questions, yes get ready for 16+ hours duration and for me at least 2 hours for onset. Nausea (and a vomiting spell) was pretty much guaranteed but usually short lived and only on the comeup. I usually found it to be worth it for the ride. Just on a harm reduction note AMT is not safe to mix with a broad range of drugs with potentialy fatal interactions with pretty much all stimulants, alcohol, phenylethylamines and more. Benzos, weed and ketamine/mxe are fine and am unsure about opiates (although I believe tramadol is a big nono). It can be dangerous stuff as is an MAOI

Last edited:
Definitely true about being dangerous to mix with stimulants and especially with any serotonin releasers like MDMA. Most deaths involving AMT have been in combinations with MDMA or similar drugs. I have combined it with 2C-B and probably other 2C-Xs as well and didn't notice any dangerous interactions, but it's still not recommended. However, it mixes beautifully with other tryptamines.

Honestly it's the duration more than the nausea that's put me off taking a real dose of the stuff. But I'm guessing if you're feeling blissed out you wouldn't really care.

The duration is actually quite welcome, since it's so blissful. Also I find that it fades out similarly to mescaline, where it's just a long, slow fade back to sobriety but with a glow remaining past the end of the actual acute effects. I also find that at the end I can sort of fade into sleep, granted that's after like 16+ hours, but still, it's a comfortable fading away. Unlike many other serotonin releasers, there is no comedown or crash, it actually leaves me feeling a marked and lingering antidepressant effect, as long as I only take it once in a while.

Im interested in the anti depressant use of amt at low doses but i trip every weekend and i usually find microdosing inteferes with that a bit.

It's a pretty good antidepressant. I think low doses like they prescribed for a short time would probably be an effective antidepressant, but I find that higher, but still low doses, like in the 20mg range, produce most of the side effects without enough positive effects.

It is worth noting how much of an effect substitutions have on the effects of AMT though. 5-MEO-AMT is fully psychedelic, albeit in a fashion more similar to a very dissociated LSD with a high chance of getting a mild but noticeable headache towards the end. It was occasionally a blotter adulterant in the early 2000's. I took it a handful of times intentionally and not. If you look at the extensions and commentary section of TIHKAL's AMT section (written a-MT) he mentions this and the 4-HO analog. The latter had some troubling side effects noted.

I actually did use this as an antidepressant for a long while. It worked well when the dose was below 10mg. Like xorkoth said there is this dose range where side effects outweigh any postitive effects with it though. So i find 10-25mg range to be a bit hit and miss in terms of postive effects outweighing the negative effects.

Coming to think of it think its time to dose some in the coming days . It does last 12 hours plus though . The onset is 90 minutes before im feeling anything and it lingers for way past 12 hours. But the feeling isnt unwelcome. Sometimes i get back ache towards tail end which i believe is to do with muscle tension.

Love me some aMT

AMT was a big letdown for me. Not just did it give high bodyload and lopsided empathogenic effects but, it deteriorated fairly rapidly, discoloring and becoming sticky.

I had high hopes for it especialy since some swear by it, but, for me it was lacklustre. Also, this is one, unlike DMT, that has killed people.

DMT and I was instant love, AMT was "ew, no"

Yeah i found only a small number of people really enjoyed it and the majority found it kind of a letdown . I was dosing it daily in the 5mg range with positive effects so that is where my real love came with it when i found i could get away with 5mg and still eat and sleep somewhat functional during it.

It definitely beats regular old speed thats for sure . But i wouldnt really class it as a psychedelic at low levels.

It would be great for long hikes, festivals though which is where i feel this one shines through with length of action and the no redisire to redose with this one.

It's still in my top 5 if such a thing exists and I haven't taken in 20 years. Thats how much of an impact it had on my life-probably equal to LSD in its impact on me. I was glad to be able to order back when it was legal In the states. There's still ideas for drawing and writing that popup that were from my AMT days. You can tell it's related to DMT bit it is its own thing. It def has the same smell as DMT. Every time I thought I found a legit source I got screwed so I've given up on my search for it. I was able to obtain 2C-E easier and thats also disappeared from the landscape.

It would be great for long hikes, festivals though which is where i feel this one shines through with length of action and the no redisire to redose with this one.

Yeah AMT is tied for my favorite festival drug, the other favorite is DOC. With AMT, I want to talk to everyone, and like you said, there is no desire to redose. I can take AMT and spend a whole day and night in a slightly trippy/rolly space, with no amount of social anxiety that can come from other psychedelics, when meeting a bunch of new people and being in crowds.

Yeah interestingly aMT has a % of skatole which gives this smell of fart gas (shit) its actually the chemical which makes our shit smell . I remember this random fact from Fastandbulbous back in the day (i think it was him 🤣)

Yeah interestingly aMT has a % of skatole which gives this smell of fart gas (shit) its actually the chemical which makes our shit smell . I remember this random fact from Fastandbulbous back in the day (i think it was him 🤣)

F&b knew his stuff..and his shit. Hope hes ok he was having a few problems last time i heard, absolute diamond geezer.

I ordered AMT back in the earlier days of RCs when companies were a bit sketchier... They put a regular plastic baggie of this stuff in an envelope and mailed it to me... I smelled it from 10 feet away from my mailbox. Unimpressive stealth. :)

PS: I loved it.