Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Great European crime shows

mr peabody

Bluelight Crew
Hej!

We got it bad, baby. And so should you! Here's a short list of European crime shows you really must see :

615a1f398239a2c36087b0ab11f1bdcb.jpg

Wallander (British, 2005-2013 - 4 seasons) SEE IT ON PRIME!

01KILLING1-jumbo.jpg

Forbrydelsen (The Killing) - Danish, 2007-2012 - 3 seasons, w/subtitles

p062403x.jpg

The Bridge (Danish/Swedish, 2011-2018 - 4 seasons)

The Tunnel (British/French, 2013-2018 - 3 seasons)

Trapped (Icelandic, 2015- 3 seasons)

Forbrydelsen is really excellent.

Last edited:
yeh that's a shame, I'm not finding it available either.. i'm curious about The Tunnel but it says that it's an adaptation of The Bridge, does the order matter?

The Tunnel and The Bridge are both excellent. I'd say see The Tunnel first (that's what we did). Watching The Bridge is much more involved - 38 episodes. The Tunnel is loosely based on The Bridge, but the stories diverge radically, which is great because although there are similarities, they are very different. The Bridge is much more well developed. We think it's superior, but The Tunnel is also very enjoyable - an excellent sort of intro to The Bridge. You're in for some great viewing either way. Enjoy!

cheers, that's a great summary :)

Good to meet you too Mr. P!

Was sad to see James Norton leave the series. He’s a phenomenal actor. Weird cause the first series I saw him in he played a sociopathic rapist. Then just exactly the opposite in grantchester!

Law and Order: UK
MI5
Slew of others that have been forgotten... SO loves the eoro drams and not too shabby IMO.

i just got done watching first 5 seasons of 'line of duty'

really enjoyed them all (but some more than others) and can't wait for season 6.

it's pretty gritty and reminds me a little bit of early seasons of the classic 'prime suspect'.

alasdair

Thanks for the link, thujone! Here's a bit more information I found :

Aranyélet (Golden Life) is a Hungarian crime drama television series loosely based on Finnish series Helppo elämä produced by HBO and originally aired from 2015 to 2018 starring Szabolcs Thuróczy, Eszter Ónodi, Renátó Olasz, Laura Döbrösi and Zsolt Anger. After the commercial and critical success of the first season, HBO Europe renewed Aranyélet for a second season, which premiered on November 6, 2016. The complete third and final season was released via HBO Go on October 14, 2018, and premiered on the same day on HBO Hungary and on all of the European HBO3 channels.

Critical reception
Aranyélet has received widespread critical acclaim and is praised by many critics as the greatest Hungarian television show of all time. On IMDb, it holds a rating of 9/10, making it the highest rated television series produced by HBO Europe. As of July, 2019 it is the 65th highest rated television series.

After the first season, IGN Hungary wrote Aranyélet is not just the best Hungarian television series ever made, but it is also one of HBO's best thrillers. "It is characterized by steadily high-quality acting and creative work, a great plot and perfect way of storytelling, not to mention the unforgettable characters, who are defined by our problems, our narrow-mindedness, and our country. Be very proud of them."

Player.hu writes "Without a doubt, HBO's original crime family drama seems to be the best Hungarian series. Every actor is perfect, it looks good, and tells the story in an excellent way. What's more, it is quite addictive."

The second season met with positive critical reception as well, IGN Hungary described the season as "more exciting, crazier, darker, has more plot twists, but it is more human than the first season. In conclusion despite the exaggerations and being too action-packed sometimes, it is still a masterpiece, which makes our expectations even higher for the next round."

Season 3 has mixed reviews - critics praised the season's political themes, acting, being even more reflective on Hungarian politics and corruption, with many criticizing the plot, character development and the ending.

---

I don't see it on Netflix. I do see it on Prime, but to view it you have to subscribe to HBO, and that's +$14.99/month. Only season 1 episode 3 (Golden Life) is freely available for download now. Maybe keep checking Bit Che until it shows up there, if you don't want to pay...

Thanks for the tip!!

pb

This looks really good! Now I'm excited to check it out on HBO.

The last European crime drama I watched is 'Black Spot'. I saw it on Netflix, but I think Prime has it now as well. It's a French show. Gruesome murders are happening mysteriously in the forest. The location of this series is really dark and creepy, it also deals with the supernatural which made me more interested.
Only 2 seasons though. I wonder if there will be more in the future.

This is an edge of your seat British crime drama by the BBC about police corruption. 5 seasons so far. It is on Netflix.

Hmmmm. Line of duty sounds cool but can’t find on Netflix. Maybe they removed on Han 1?

Okay, we're on it!! Thanks!!!

We've just finished State of Play - very entertaining! Seen that?

maxresdefault.jpg

state-of-play-bbc.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Not sure where you'll find this. We downloaded it with Bit che/uTorrent (and a good VPN).
No :( but it has been on the watchlist for some time, finishing up Twin Peaks S3 and I'm on it ;)

Okay, listen up, peeps. You heard it here first. The Road To Calvary is AWESOME!

The-Road-to-Calvary-33.jpg

zirc2qky3lzz.jpg

BACKSTAGE_30.jpg

The-Road-to-Calvary-57.jpg

A brutal, unvarnished depiction of the Russian Revolution in 1917. See it on Netflix. Highest rating!!
You might like the War & Peace miniseries, 6 episodes, I promise it was good

Good thread btw, I've also been so focused on watching American classics and being frustrated because I've seen 'em all, I forgot there's a whole other goldmine on the other side of the pond, all straight into my watchlist

I absolutely love "Dark" on Netflix. I'm anxiously awaiting the third and final season. The first two seasons are worth binge watching, to say the least. Its among my favorites from recent years...

I also loved the first season of "The Rain", but the second was a rushed disappointment and I'm not sure if a third season is in the works, even though it ended on a bit of a cliffhanger.

"Black Spot" was worth watching, but not even close to as good as Dark.

"The Returned" was also ok, but ended in a very unsatisfactory way.

Occupied

I know I've posted about this before, but you need to know...

This Norwegian political thriller on Netflix is the best series we've ever seen.

1*us6D-pC2c2iKrY2XxBrOmg.jpeg

Ccpo-6yWAAAuQBl.jpg

occupied_131x155.jpg

Occupied.png

Fast paced and intelligent, Occupied redefines television viewing! 3 seasons.

Okkupert_mars_IMG_6027.jpg

"We urge all of you, who want to save our planet, to attack governments that pollute. Don't wait for climate agreements to save the planet.
Don't wait for democracy to save the planet. Don't wait for anybody. Only you can do it."

- Jesper Berg

Thanks for the recommendation, I've been looking for a new show.

Did anyone else love the French production of "War of the Worlds" that aired on Epix the last 8 weeks? I'm really bummed that season one was only 8 episodes and is already over. It looks to have been renewed for another season, but who knows how long the wait will be for season two due to production delays resulting from coronavirus. It's the best "alien invasion" show I've seen. Highly recommended!