• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Any Way to Lower Tolerance?

Daygone

Greenlighter
I used opioid pain pills for years with the ability to get high. I especially enjoyed having what I would call a "head high" (as opposed to a body high). Back in February, 2015, I gad some health problems and used three perks a day for over a month. This seems to have wrecked my ability to get a head high. I have recurring pain probe and get almost 100 ES norcos a month, but I just don't get nearly as high as I used to What can I do? I assume stopping for x amount of time is the answer, but how long would the break have to be before I regained my head highs (or at least better general highs). Thanks in advance!

A month or two was plenty for me.

A tip when you start again: take 30-60 MG's dxm (robitussin, in case you don't know) daily can really, really help in not allowing yourself to get a tolerance that high again. Some other drugs can be even more helpful in this regard, but generally are harder to find.

Dxm is OTC, everywhere except for the UK, it's prescription there I'm thinking

A month or two was plenty for me.

A tip when you start again: take 30-60 MG's dxm (robitussin, in case you don't know) daily can really, really help in not allowing yourself to get a tolerance that high again. Some other drugs can be even more helpful in this regard, but generally are harder to find.

Dxm is OTC, everywhere except for the UK, it's prescription there I'm thinking

Like tomc said. Either absistanence or therapeutic doses of dxm before each dose you take then you'll be able to start lowering your doses with little to no discomfort. I'm doing it with methadone. From 120/day to 100/day with ease.

Stopping completely for a month or two is your best bet, but if you can't do that, then try tapering to a minuscule maintenance dose that simply keeps most withdrawal symptoms away, and maintain on that for a month or two. Taking DXM can be helpful in reducing tolerance from building to opioids/benzos, but I can't say that it ever lowered my tolerance to those drugs, just potentiated them and helped to somewhat prevent building large tolerances to opiates/benzos.

I hope you do an CWE as 100 norcos a month is a lot of acetaminophen

As others have said, abstinence
And DXM doesn't always help, I've read a study a few month ago claiming that only certain NMDA-antagonists help with certain opioids