• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Any experience with Erythrina Mulungu?

kleinerkiffer

Bluelight Crew
I found this old thread http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/356351-Anxiolytic-Effect-of-Erythrina-mulungu-extract and after reading up on mulungu I'm eager to try it. Does anyone have any experiences with it? I think I somewhere read that mulungu acts on GABA and it seems to be sedating / anxiolytic.
I think I will start with like 0,5 gram as a tea and work my way up.
Question is, can you smoke it, are there any dangers etc.?
Thanks for reading :)

I don't have anything of substance to add, unfortunately, but after following the link you posted and reading through the old thread, I'm interested as well!

I tried it a few times. It has a subtle sedating effect to me. As i can remember the dose was about 1g. I used it as a mild benzo substitute for my opiate withdrawal.
Had no cravings for it after using it for some days. IMO it is quite save to give it a try.

Last edited:
I tried it a few times. It has a subtle sedating effect to me. As i can remember the dose was about 1g. I used it as a mild benzo substitute for my opiate withdrawal.
Had no cravings for it after using it for some days. IMO it is quite save to give it a try.
How'd you prepare it?
How long does it last?

I always used it 30min to 1hour before i went to sleep. So i can not say how long it exactly lasts.
I ordered the whole bark and grinded it with a coffee grinder to powder.
The powder was filled into a teabag and cooked for about 1 minute in a small pot with 200-300ml water. I let it simmer for ~30min.
After i squeezed out all juices of the teabag I drank all at once and fell effects about 15 minutes later.

Yes, I have a bag and I've smoked it a few times and it has a very mild but relaxing sedative kind of effect.

I had though you needed to eat it and ate 30 grams once and nothing happened until I tried smoking a small bowl and felt the effects haha.

Not sure what to compare it to, kind of like a milder version of like a smokable valium or a bit like a VERY momentary Phenibut-ish type high if Phenibut was MUCH milder.

Makes you tired and anxiety free but again, VERY mild and only lasts like 30 mins.

It's worth trying. It was one of my first ethnobotanical experiences when I thought there may be something to this plethora of plants I just found on the internet.

I just recall it being gently sedating, not unlike lotus flowers, albeit a tad more powerful.

like a mild version of a benzo some relaxation and some sedation, very nice stuff and zero addictive
its lasting 3-4 hours and goes nice with kratom or weed and its easier to catch a nod on kratom with mulungu
cuz you live in germany i can reccomend the mulungu offered by a famous kratom shop because there are no root parts in it what most the most other sellers contain
This mulungu has a consistency like "sägespäne"(dont know the english word lol)
5-10 g is a good dose

Thanks for all the replies guys! I have ordered some and will report back as soon as I tried it :)
cuz you live in germany i can reccomend the mulungu offered by a famous kratom shop because there are no root parts in it what most the most other sellers contain
This mulungu has a consistency like "sägespäne"(dont know the english word lol)
5-10 g is a good dose
Sawdust :D
I guess you mean the one that claims that one should dose 0.5-3 grams for the first time?

I havent used this stuff very much, but have had life-long sleep issues, and found it really good the few times i've taken it.
Reminds me i should get some more for next time my insomnia becomes unmanageable.

Be interested to read your report, Kleinerkiffer - let us know how it goes.

^Good :D

I've just read that some of the alkaloids in Erythrina are similar to the arrow poison curare and high doses of erysodine act in a similar way on muscles, thus explaining why some people report problems with walking after taking 10-15grams. But I don't know if it's true.
Doesn't sound too good, but I'll try it nevertheless

Last edited:
^Good :D

I've just read that some of the alkaloids in Erythrina are similar to the arrow poison curare and high doses of erysodine act in a similar way on muscles, thus explaining why some people report problems with walking after taking 10-15grams. But I don't know if it's true.
Doesn't sound too good, but I'll try it nevertheless
dont think its neurotoxic but who knows,certainly it doesnt feel like it .benzos feel much more toxic

Last edited: