• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Other Any chess players here?

Yeah I'm down to play later today :) I love long blitz matches with people.

Nice!! Well we have a BL chess group. So I listed myself as intermediate and have not played in seven years. I think im good to giver. Can play tues nights and Sundays.
I understand that people stop playing over the board chess etc, but I wish they wouldn't quit completely and just play online once in a while. It's much more casual, game or 2 takes like almost no time out of your day, and progressively getting better is so satisfying. Not to mention several other positive but more chess itself related factors.

I'd love to play over the board with long time controls though, I wonder how good I'd be, online blitz ratings don't transfer very well to real elo, and serious opening preparation will be required. With black I always end up in slightly passive positions, where I kinda play some random stuff that seems to make sense, but I don't know when to make like a center break for example, which is often key. If you miss time it, you could be significantly worse immediately, and there's like no time to calculate the consequences on every move.

Yeah I'm down to play later today :) I love long blitz matches with people.

I understand that people stop playing over the board chess etc, but I wish they wouldn't quit completely and just play online once in a while. It's much more casual, game or 2 takes like almost no time out of your day, and progressively getting better is so satisfying. Not to mention several other positive but more chess itself related factors.

I'd love to play over the board with long time controls though, I wonder how good I'd be, online blitz ratings don't transfer very well to real elo, and serious opening preparation will be required. With black I always end up in slightly passive positions, where I kinda play some random stuff that seems to make sense, but I don't know when to make like a center break for example, which is often key. If you miss time it, you could be significantly worse immediately, and there's like no time to calculate the consequences on every move.

Have you ever played over the board in a tournament? It's a lot different than online IMO. And yeah, online ELO doesn't translate well to over the board. It's two way different things IMO.

I'll be up for another few hours if you want to play for fun :)

Have you ever played over the board in a tournament? It's a lot different than online IMO. And yeah, online ELO doesn't translate well to over the board. It's two way different things IMO.

I'll be up for another few hours if you want to play for fun :)
Yes I am here, but I am VERY high so my level will suck, but I'm the mood to play so whatever, logging in rn

dude....

"You have been muted for 60 minutes for not following our Community Policy. Please respect the rules and the other Chess.com members, or your account will be temporarily suspended. Learn more » "

that's why I stopped responding... lmao apparently I say "shit" too much!

(I hope you read this soon, I'm not ignoring you - I'm just chat banned on chess.com xD)

Last edited:
Yeah same :) ggs!!, I was missing everything, too much benzos, I look forward to playing next time

I'd be interesting to start playing over the board again (I played a couple years when I was younger, in my club and regional tournaments there was hardly any opposition, and I had like no coaching at all, just tactics.... and I was too lazy to open books sadly) which made me think I was good, because I was rarely losing, but looking back, I wasn't at all.
But now with so much online content available, and easily usable engines, I'm pretty sure I understand the game better than back then.

We shouldn't forget @Chris Timothy though, he was like 2200 rated iirc, I might have been able to swindle a game here and there against him sometime ago but his superior understanding and ability to spot unorthodox plans shone through convincingly.

I'd be interesting to start playing over the board again (I played a couple years when I was younger, in my club and regional tournaments there was hardly any opposition, and I had like no coaching at all, just tactics.... and I was too lazy to open books sadly) which made me think I was good, because I was rarely losing, but looking back, I wasn't at all.
But now with so much online content available, and easily usable engines, I'm pretty sure I understand the game better than back then.

We shouldn't forget @Chris Timothy though, he was like 2200 rated iirc, I might have been able to swindle a game here and there against him sometime ago but his superior understanding and ability to spot unorthodox plans shone through convincingly.

I want to play OTB again very badly, but the chess scene sucks where I live.

I think I got good at chess so quickly when I was young was because I was surrounded by elite players constantly. One of the best ways to get better at chess is to constantly play against better players.

There were a few notable grandmasters that came out of the scholastic chess program I was in, including Tal Shaked

Announcement:

The 1st Bi-annual BL Blitz Chess tournament!

Details coming soon... Prizes?!?!

*smoke, mirrors and sound effects*

Oooohhhhhh.... Ahhhhhhhh....

if you set it up, I can help advertise it to get more participants. And the winner can get a title under their username.

Yea dude member that hypothetical of moving the rook with my dong. Wasnt hypothetical. Im looking at 8-10 yrs they're saying

nsa was taken so i'm Atoraxic. smoked one of the bots. I'm down to play tonight or in then future.

I play chess. Though, I wouldn't say I'm a serious player, more just someone who plays as a hobby.