• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Anxiety Disorders MEGA thread

Thanks :) I will for sure be letting you guys know how things are going:)

I will for sure be trying to tie in Pilates and meditation.....

^You are a very brave woman and I really look up to you for taking control of your anxiety in a drug-free way. :)

The difference in my overall anxiety level is astonishing after my recent switch from Klonopin to Valium. I have not found a benzo that agrees with my neurochemistry as well as Valium. For those who choose benzodiazepine therapy, trying a few different ones (provided your doctor lets you) and seeing which alleviates your symptoms most effectively, could be very helpful.

The reasons I like Valium are that it does not affect my alertness/mental faculties as much as Xanax or Klonopin, which can make me a bit forgetful, and it does not wear off in a way I can perceive due to its long half-life. I obviously cannot be on it forever, but for now, I can especially feel the social component of my anxiety lifting. I have more of a desire to do fun things outside the house now that I am not as fearful. This, in turn, lifts my depression. :)

If you get anxiety what do you do when you get it bad when you're lying in bed at night and you can't fall asleep?

I've tried exercising, meditation, cutting down on caffeine and drinking herbal teas like Chamomile, rooibos/red tea, and some Celestial Seasoning's Tension Tamer and all the Tension Tamer brand tea did was sort of relax me but it gave me a headache.

I don't have access to benzos and I don't want to take them. I can't sleep on herb and I don't even smoke it anymore and haven't for years. Drinking booze just wakes me up and when I was in my early 20s I drank daily in large quantities to help with anxiety and that was a miserable fail.

When I'm falling asleep the anxiety I get now is not nearly as bad as it was in my early 20s when I would stay awake for a about 2-3 days straight.

No I'm not manic or bipolar I just would have bad anxiety then and it prevented me from sleeping for a few nights in a week and when it was the worst I was not on any drugs or really drinking at all.

Last edited:
So, I said I would update you guys on getting off of my k-pins and all-
I tried twice. I'm on such a low dose now that I thought it would be easy but it wasn't. I'm still on that last .5mg . I went 2 days and couldn't take the anxiety. Tried again later and gave in again.
I am working with my therapist on different techniques to calm down during high anxiety times and trying to reduce anxiety with breathing and meditation.
So far, so good with the therapy. I love my therapist and she's got me very motivated.
Hopefully in the next few weeks I will stop my Clonazepam.......

So, I said I would update you guys on getting off of my k-pins and all-
I tried twice. I'm on such a low dose now that I thought it would be easy but it wasn't. I'm still on that last .5mg . I went 2 days and couldn't take the anxiety. Tried again later and gave in again.
I am working with my therapist on different techniques to calm down during high anxiety times and trying to reduce anxiety with breathing and meditation.
So far, so good with the therapy. I love my therapist and she's got me very motivated.
Hopefully in the next few weeks I will stop my Clonazepam.......

The problem with using a pharm to deal with anxiety is it doesnt actually help the anxiety, it just hides it for the duration of its effects. During my peak of anxiety I was almost in a crippled state. There were days I couldnt leave my house, or even my room. I could have really used a pharm then. But I'm glad I didnt, it helped me work out my issues as opposed to hiding them.

Anywhoo, getting of k-pin is going to be good, in the long run. I wish you all the best :)

I have GAD
-Please do not talk about current recreational drug use as it could be seen as glamorizing or could be triggering

sometimes if it get outta hand i use Benzo's...

I did the whole ssri other crap they feed me... all made me feel like shit

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with using a pharm to deal with anxiety is it doesnt actually help the anxiety, it just hides it for the duration of its effects. During my peak of anxiety I was almost in a crippled state. There were days I couldnt leave my house, or even my room. I could have really used a pharm then. But I'm glad I didnt, it helped me work out my issues as opposed to hiding them.

Anywhoo, getting of k-pin is going to be good, in the long run. I wish you all the best :)

Which is why I wanted to get off of Lorazepam when I took that......
BUT I have tried to practice stress reduction while on Clonazepam.
For some people, benzos are EXACTLY what they need.
They've saved my life.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

For some people, benzos are EXACTLY what they need.

True, I was just saying it depends how they are used. If they are used as a cure, that will not help anything. If they are being used as a transition from a drug induced anxiety free state into a anxiety free sober state, they can help ALOT.

^It definitely depends on how they are used.....

So, how is everyone else doing with their anxiety?
Anyone have any new developments, new tricks that are helping?

I am still trying to practice the deep breathing techniques -
It is helping, especially if I do it at the very start of becoming anxious.

My anxiety has been much better. My OCD episodes are far and few, maybe twice a week (which is low compared to my previous 5 hour attacks every day). I have also gotten good at catching it right when it starts and diverting my mind elsewhere. I have a little anxiety about not having xanax anymore, for if I get a severe attack.

I have some minor delusional tendencies, hearing people say something completely different than what they really said. As of lately though I have been able to stay in the present and be very aware.

Exercise has helped me the most out of anything. Yoga in there morning and evening helps quite a bit as well, as dawn and dusk are when my anxiety is most sensitive and most likely to be triggered.

Ocean: I don't know if you've tried, but get a yoga DVD and follow along. Even after memorizing the routine I've noticed watching the video, hearing the comforting words, seems to help just as much as the routine itself.

scott,

Your situation of self-medicating anxiety with alcohol is extremely common, but remember all long-term use will do is cause rebound anxiety and depression even worse than it was before. I must note your alcoholism definitely plays a massive role in your anxiety as well as interfering with your treatment. I'm sure you know this, and I'm an addict too, it is hard to accept how drastic of a change is necessary to be made in life to rid yourself of this horror. Please get some help. You won't be involuntarily committed to go to the psych ward, they won't force you in rehab, they will leave it up to you to decide if you want to change via any of the methods available. You should reflect on what the options are and what is most appropriate. This is the first step you need to take in my opinion.

There are lots of options (again, they'd be more effective clean). Patience, though an enemy of anxiety, is key. Look into azapirones, beta-blockers, some antihistamines, tons of herbal remedies. You've got dozens and dozens of medicinal options man.

What's gonna REALLY help in the end is psychotherapy. You seem to be placing too much emphasis and reliance on psychiatry. Drugs are only gonna get you so far. I strongly suggest CBT therapy, it is very efficient.

Don't worry about kids. There's conflicting evidence on hereditary and even if there are some, who cares? It's not like it'd be likely to happen in the first place. There is a phenomena in shared mentally ill parent-child relationships in which the child relies on the father (in your case) for his experience on coping which will help him recover, while you helping him recover would allow you to assess your anxiety as well and how to deal with it better. All with the bonus of strengthening your relationship greatly. Don't worry about it. Best of luck to you my friend.

^6didnt you read his post, he said he suffered from extreme anxiety before he ever touched a drug..sure, alcohol may notbe helping but it sure isnt the cause of his anxiety...after all of what ive read on this subject i believe anxiety is just a part of some people..you have very calm types..those are the types we send in to defuse bombs, and then you have anxious types, their use lies elsewhere...ive talked to people that had like above had anxiety their entire lives, tried CBT, therapy, 100 different drug and they still battle anxity on a daily basis...right now the mental health field doesnt even know why some folks are anxious and others not...there are alot of theories but thats it...

^^u can never give up but thats easier said than done...when it comes to anxiety there isnt anything out there that is going to completely change you from an anxious person to a non-anxious person..you can just take little steps every day and try and cope with it...not what ya wanna hear but i believe it to be true...

Another OCD / anxiety person here, with a long story; involving a being completely cured for years part.

My fears are very OCD; only a lot more the obsession side then the compulsive behavior side. I don't act much to my fear because I know that will only make it worse. In the past I had it worse. I had a phobia for disease in every way possible. I didn't touch public objects (like door knobs), definatly didn't touch other people; I was affraid of every virus I could catch, from the common cold to h5n1-birdflu. I had a major phobia of pandemics when they were treathening to happen. I also had hypochondria, which ment I'd think I'd have aids or brain cancer and would get myself tested even if I could track the facts to make sure I was at NO risk at all, I just couldn't get rid of the though. All of that was severe, and all before early 2006.

It all went away in a magic mushroom trip in march 2006. I'm still not sure how. I was already trying to treat myself with cognitive behavior therapy; telling myself it was bullshit to be afraid of these things, but for some reason I couldn't convince myself all that time, I kept thinking 'but being ill really ís annoying, so my reasons for fear are valid'. Well the shroom trip changed all that. I finally realised and felt the fear was taking away my joy in life, and therefor doing more harm on its own and I saw how beautiful the world was and suddently the fear lost its power and it was gone.

Gone for 3.5 complete long years. Many trips since then and nothing changed it, it was gone for good and I was very happy. Well; seeing how I'm speaking in passed tense one can see its not like that anymore unfortunately. The good news being though that its defiantly nót as bad as it was and quite different too and I know exactely what triggered it to come back.

It was this summer. I was free from fear until this all happened. I have these pedigree cats; norwegian forest cats, and decided it'd be awesome to breed my own; so I joined a cat fancy organisation; tested my mother cat for every disease possible to test on and found a suitable male cat of the same breed also tested for and free of every disease that you can test on. It all went very well; mother cat had a fine pregnancy and gave birth to 5 beautiful kittens. It was beautiful and happy, until two days later. One of the smaller kittens didn't grow that day (we weighted them twice a day to meassure their growth), and then it refused to drink. Then it crawled away from the mother. This all happened within hours. We called the vet and by the time we had an appointment that day the kitten had died in our hands. We thought for sure this was just the weakest kitten and knew that it was normal to happen with maybe one kitten. The creepy moment came when that evening the same things started happening to another kitten, and they were screaming. So did the first one that died; this one we got to the vet in time, it was weekend and night so it was the weekend-night-vet; they gave us tube-feeding equipment to tube feed the kitten. One of the most horrible moments happened right then; we pulled the tube back out and it was covered in blood, then the kitten started gurgling/spitting up milk and then it died. The worst part of that kittens death was my mother sitting there for 15 minutes crying and petting the dead kitten. Seriously creepy. Well, for 3 days it went well, until another one started showing the symptoms. This one we were in time with bringing it to the vet, who concluded the kitten had severe pneunomia and had it put to sleep right there. It crawled around and bled a bit from where it had gotten the injection. Even now, 8 months later, this is still hard to type. Then it appeared over. Only one kitten was sneezing a lot. My favorite kitten; at that time still alive. I had named her Lucy, and her sister Alice (both named after lsd haha). Lucy was always the biggest in the litter, but she had cought a bacterial sneezing-disease, a kind of cold for cats. Her nose was blocked and she wouldn't eat so we had to tube feed her. She did keep a stable weight and we actually thought she was going to make it. She was put on synulox antibiotics; when after a week nothing improved I told them the bacteria was probably resistant, I had found indications that bordatella was resistant to synulox, and I asked for doxycicline, which they wouldn't give me because 'it might harm the kittens bone growth', while I figured 'well its going to die anyway if you treat it with antibiotics that don't work'. At the time Lucy's eyes were open. When we tube feeded her she couldn't scream because her troath was too raw from all the screaming she had already done. She looked at us with fear and where as a kitten she would purr a lot, her last few alive days she didn't at all. Alice was still a fat healthy baby drinking from her mothers belly at the time. Either way; 13 days after being born; Lucy was gasping for air. All day. She hadn't slept in 2 days because she was too busy trying to breathe, we tried to open her nose with salt water; gave her the antibiotics we díd get, but nothing helped. That night she seemed week; so I put her in my vest; nice and warm on my arm. She layed still and breathed for about an hour. Then she went spastic, shaked her head around violently and I felt her die on my chest; she was placed right on my heart where I was trying to keep her warm and she died on there. Well I quickly felt something was wrong and I put her away. Other people checked and comfirmed she was dead. First I think (I don't recall this too well actually :s) that I screamed it didn't happen for about 10 minutes. Then I layed on the ground with the mothercat's head in my hand, she had her nose touching her dead kitten and she was laying very still and so was I. Then the mother cat attacked the two people that wéren't me; and I went insane too I think, for about 15 minutes. Then my head felt heavy from the crying and we went to sleep (it was 8 am already). Well.. the story ends well after here; Alice is now 8 months old and has never even sneezed in her life. She is very healthy; steal-immune system and she's big, strong and overly affectious. Most friendly cat I've ever known. Ofcourse we kept the survivor Alice for ourselves and she's still here doing very well :)

Well the reason this brought my fear back is two things: first of all, kittens are vulnerable; and we had to wash our hands with both soap, bleach, dish-wash-stuff; but out coats, vests and shoes and outer clothing layer in the hall between the outsides and my house and we'd be very careful. Still except for one they all died, so I felt often like I was killing them with outside germs. Turns out the first 3 died of a very heavy pneunomia caused by a bacteria in the mothers bowels; the kittens got a chance to breathe it in when the mothercat got thin poo from eating the placenta's. Lucy died of bordatella; a bacteria causing a heavy cold/flu in cats and dogs. The mother caught it at the cattery where the male cat lives who fathered the kittens, she was barely ill but it killed her weaker kitten. I know Lucy and Alice where strong; they never got the pneunomia, so Lucy didn't die because she was week; she died because the anti-biotics didn't work. Either way, having anxiety problems with illness and then having 4 kittens die of illness within 2 weeks is not a good mix.

I'm suprised its not back wosre. What I got now is that I don't dare to go outside with inside clothing and the other way around. As long as I remain outside I'm not scared; but as soon as I have to enter my house I feel unworthy and gross and like I should des-infect myself first. With going outside I anticipate that unpleasant feeling and most of the time just stay in completely. So yeah. That happened.

I would fix it again with shrooms; but I don't do shrooms often anymore, and I'm not sure if it would work again. Trips did help me get over the dead-stuff thing; and I feel content about the whole thing even though writing it all down still hurts. I'm glad it still does, else i'd be a creepy person.

Sorry for messing up this topic with my sad story about dying kittens in a strange two weeks in summer, it was supposed to be mostly about how shrooms once cured my phobia's, but then I got in to the fact trauma got them back. I'm planning on seeing if I can fix it again with shrooms thís summer. Tripping atleast has only made it slightly better. It made me understand how exactely it came back and I did get over the dead-kittens part; its just the new-phobia part that doesn't go away.

Wow this turned out long.

About phobia's: I don't surpress mine. I don't take benzo's and I don't self medicate with alcohol. I don't self medicate my fear at all. I do take a lot of psychedelics and on weird occasions it suddently helps. It never made anything worse; only better, but just not good enough recently.

A much needed bump ;)

I have been almost completely anxiety and depression free lately. Aside from very minor anxiety episodes that last only like 30 minutes. This has allowed me to enjoy the occasional stimulant, and also not worry as much about caffeine intake.

I have stopped exercising and meditating as much since I have been feeling better mentally. I think the anxiety was a good motivator. Hopefully I can get back into that habit to keep feeling better and better.

How is everyone else doing? ocean? azgaza? scott?

^^ So good to hear you're doing better Syko! That's awesome. Like I said in another thread though, just be careful with the stims ;) <3

Two things that I have found that have helped:

The StressEraser is this portable biofeedback-type device that gives you feedback on your breathing and heart rate patterns. It's kind of pricey, but I bought it one day as an impulse buy when I was freaking out, and once you get the hang of it, it can be very helpful. It works better in calm environments, and can help a lot in getting to sleep. I tried to use it on the subway at one point, but the sensor was too sensitive to the bumps and jostling of the train to work properly.

The lower cost thing that helped me was one of my Buddhist friends gave me a wrist mala, which is kind of like a rosary. In fact, I think a rosary would work just as well. You're supposed to touch a bead, recite a short saying that is meaningful to you, and then touch the next bead in sequence, and keep on going around the mala. I'm not religious at all, but I find that having the repetition and the feeling of the beads in my hand helps to distract me and keep my mind off of the anxiety enough that I don't send myself spiraling into a panic attack.

Anybody else have any practical tips?

I haven't written in this thread before, but I've been dealing with anxiety (both generalized and social, but mostly social anxiety). I recently got my psychiatrist to prescribe me Lyrica and it has been a godsend. I don't abuse it, it doesn't mess me up and I will highly recommend trying it if you're dealing with anxiety. Especially since it doesn't seem to have quite the same severity of problems as benzos with regards to abuse and addiction. It is however horrificly expensive, but I live in a country with public health care, so not really a problem for me.

Just a tip :)