• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Antipsychotic alternatives

poptarts69

Bluelighter
I don't want to get fat again, or fuck up my metabolism

I've tried over 6 meds, I always end up gaining weight and getting slow.

I've been off them for months, got promoted twice in two weeks at my job, and I don't want to go back. but I need SOMEthing!

its the focus and conversation holding part.

I've tried ashwaganda, sarcosine, teas lion mane etc

cbd doesn't do a whole lot

help! any other alternatives that get people there??

was diagnosed SA
I hate relying on pills I don't believe that's the only option

Ive deleted some posts, because it's against forum rules to play doctor. Simply describe what worked for you as opposed to recommending and telling someone where to get drugs, please.

I am not sure of any non pill antipsychotic alternatives. But for meds, what worked for me was vraylar. Very little side effects IME.

Do you not want to talk to a doctor?

^They know things that we don't, and we know things that they do. That's why it's important to forge a collaborative partnership.

What were you using?

Lithium has a small antipsychotic effect, but it's mostly a mood stabilizer.

Social anxiety? For that, usually SSRIs work well. Sometimes adrenergic autoreceptor agonists such as propranolol are used for mostly physical anxiety. Benzos are kind of tricky, and the dependency potential may merit a commitment with some possible issues arising later on.

You have social anxiety but are wanting to focus better? Please help me better understand. I don't see a stimulant helping, if that's what you're thinking. Caffeine up to three cups is pretty normal.

In all, exercise and self-calming techniques like meditation will do you a heck of a lot good. Maybe get a therapist that can work with you on CBT skills.

Again, please elaborate. We want to help. But, as madness00 stated, we are not doctors. We can't say "take [this]"

I took Abilify for insomnia. I now don't have a soul.

I used to meditate all the time, but now there's nothing inside of me to transcend

I took Abilify for insomnia.

Abilify seems to give me insomnia. I find it very 'activiating' compared to other anti-psychotics.
I was actually going to say to the OP that I had the same experience of, and feelings about anti-psychotics, UNTIL I finally tried Abilify which did not seem to have any real side effects (except insomnia at higher doses). I saw your post about Anhedonia on Abilify. I'm not sure that is a common side-effect (not that I doubt it has affected you that way).

Maybe have a look here:

I’ve been on so many different antipsychotics and fucking hated them so I’d just go off them and end up back in the psych ward. (Schizophrenia).
Ive been on lurasidone 120mg for about 2 years now and it is absolutely amazing, I’ll be on them for life. No weight gain, no feeling like a zombie, still sharp and functioning. And they actually work!! Takes about 6-8 weeks to work. I take them just before bed as they make me a little sleepy but I sleep solid and don’t wake up groggy!!

it’s a fairly new one but recommend 100%. Life changing in my experience.

^They know things that we don't, and we know things that they do. That's why it's important to forge a collaborative partnership.

What were you using?

Lithium has a small antipsychotic effect, but it's mostly a mood stabilizer.

Social anxiety? For that, usually SSRIs work well. Sometimes adrenergic autoreceptor agonists such as propranolol are used for mostly physical anxiety. Benzos are kind of tricky, and the dependency potential may merit a commitment with some possible issues arising later on.

You have social anxiety but are wanting to focus better? Please help me better understand. I don't see a stimulant helping, if that's what you're thinking. Caffeine up to three cups is pretty normal.

In all, exercise and self-calming techniques like meditation will do you a heck of a lot good. Maybe get a therapist that can work with you on CBT skills.

Again, please elaborate. We want to help. But, as madness00 stated, we are not doctors. We can't say "take [this]"

geodon, vraylar, abilify, latuda, zyprexa, fanapt, might be missing one or two. at first w antidepressants too but fuck those
no social anxiety whatsoever. my brain just doesn't process fast enough or maybe is too slow to keep up in conversations sometimes.
also its a big hard to think logically, im a very emotional person. definitely emotion > logic
its like I think more with my heart space than my head space, and try to get all my blood to go up there. its an effort.

I did take a microscopic chip of latuda today (ive got stacks of all these meds) and I was able to talk really fast and keep up with everybody? but got slow, tired, chubby feeling. I hate it. my metabolism shot to shit and I ate tons.

happens with every med.

when I came down I still sort of mostly think the same, say the same things, maybe just slower. but it does prohibit any thought from being visualized or really thought about in my head

it either feels like my mind processes too fast and I come out slower, or it processes too slow and I go out fast. I go out of equilibrium a lot.
caffeine exercise every day, without them id die

I go through days where all I can do is lay down and sleep. talking is sometimes too much of an effort. I can check out of things really easily. if I take a bit of an AP I get energy but get fast SO quick. im very active and exercise every day so that part sucks.

then I go through days where I don't sleep have million tons of energy and have to get brought down.

I want something else. I need a better solution than popping pills every day. I need some way to change my brain permanently without chemicals. you don't need weed after a point to get high- you don't need mushrooms after another point to trip out. I don't believe in you must take something external to change your internal. it goes against so many things.

done cbt, therapy, inpatient, rehab, dual diagnosis, group therapy, everything in the book. im at my wits end.

I work a high stress job so I barely have time to keep diving deep into fixing this.

been seeing doctors now about this for almost two years.

being dependent on something goes against everything I, and many others, believe in. hell, yoga says you need nothing except yourself.

I do remember being so blissfully happy, was when yoga every day - working a fun retail job - no diagnosis no meds - festivals friends and new connections.

ever since I got to know my current gf extremely well, I just had a feeling I should go see a doctor.

I went three plus years without meds after my drug induced psychosis and was happy as a clam. I did it to see if it would change things with her.

it helped, but she's a firm believer in no pills so I can't take them around her if I do. and I sweat them out so she can smell it. anyways lol she's not the problem

told her about my bp diagnosis (not sz) she doesn't believe anything is wrong, no one really thinks anythings wrong, my parents don't think I have either even though my fourth dr diagnosed me with sza. first one said maybe mild case of sz, next two said just bipolar, fourth said that. maybe people can see sometimes I have a hard time catching up in conversation or taking some things seriously but im the opposite of socially anxious. I love people and love talking something in my brain just doesn't let me go where I used to go and its rough.

when this all first started I thought stem cells would cure me, but that ship has sailed.

Ummm if your girlfriend wont let you take pills for medical issues i think thats a big problem. Like what?

^I agree with the above post. It seems wrong to me that your partner should tell you what to take, so long as it's in a therapeutic manner. I can see drug abuse to be not tolerated, but medication is quite different.

Hallucinogens have recently shown some great utility in treating depression and anxiety. They can do this with one trip in some instances. But psychiatric medications aren't designed that way. They are meant to be taken chronically. In the next few decades we may likely see clinics that offer a sort of in-patient trip with a guide. Ketamine is given to some psych. patients now. But for now, the meds used are thought to correct an abnormal imbalance through everyday use, not through using once or a few times. The idea is that those two general modes of treatment can't be well-compared. Just because tripping may change one's outlook on life for a decent while after one use, does not mean that Western medications can work in the same manner.

As I understand, there is variance in philosophy of Yoga. Yet even if what you say is the predominant view, you're mixing up philosophies somewhat. It's like this: a totally Eastern way can't really be generalized to the Western atmosphere, and vice-versa. It's true that, in India, those with mental illness may be heralded as something of a mystic or prophet. There is place in their society for such a person.

That said, I think there are some great (legal) herbs from the East that have shown promise as treatments, even after analyzed by Western scholars. Mindfulness is basically a household name now in the West, so things have changed, and they will continue to do so. I'm opening up several cans of worms here.

My bottom line is that you deserve whatever treatment out there best serves your needs. If my partner was on meds, I wouldn't abuse the relationship by telling them not to be on meds--and for some questionable reasoning. Good Luck.

^I agree with the above post. It seems wrong to me that your partner should tell you what to take, so long as it's in a therapeutic manner. I can see drug abuse to be not tolerated, but medication is quite different.

Hallucinogens have recently shown some great utility in treating depression and anxiety. They can do this with one trip in some instances. But psychiatric medications aren't designed that way. They are meant to be taken chronically. In the next few decades we may likely see clinics that offer a sort of in-patient trip with a guide. Ketamine is given to some psych. patients now. But for now, the meds used are thought to correct an abnormal imbalance through everyday use, not through using once or a few times. The idea is that those two general modes of treatment can't be well-compared. Just because tripping may change one's outlook on life for a decent while after one use, does not mean that Western medications can work in the same manner.

As I understand, there is variance in philosophy of Yoga. Yet even if what you say is the predominant view, you're mixing up philosophies somewhat. It's like this: a totally Eastern way can't really be generalized to the Western atmosphere, and vice-versa. It's true that, in India, those with mental illness may be heralded as something of a mystic or prophet. There is place in their society for such a person.

That said, I think there are some great (legal) herbs from the East that have shown promise as treatments, even after analyzed by Western scholars. Mindfulness is basically a household name now in the West, so things have changed, and they will continue to do so. I'm opening up several cans of worms here.

My bottom line is that you deserve whatever treatment out there best serves your needs. If my partner was on meds, I wouldn't abuse the relationship by telling them not to be on meds--and for some questionable reasoning. Good Luck.
Thanks. My partner is not the problem as previously mentioned, I do my own thing.
Psychiatric medicines have horrible, detrimental effects.

What herbs would they be?

Pros and cons. Usually psych. meds work fast but don't feel as pleasant. Alternative styles like TCM and Ayurvedic medicine oftentimes take longer to work but is generally more pleasurable of an experience. Notice there is no absolute. I can't say what will or won't work for you, regarding both realms. I don't have an MD and otherwise am not a licensed herb healer.

In terms of herbs, at least let the doctor in on what ones you want to take. If they are against it, well that's your answer. Doctors vary in acceptance of other means of healing. It's a personal thing. There is one particular herb that I found very, very effective. It was the only thing to give me a break from opioid withdrawal, and not at a concentrated dose. It's individualistic.

When push comes to shove, you are the one who decides. Unless you're in danger or are a threat of causing danger, you decide.

If you're thinking about other means of healing, then I'd do some searching. Maybe there is a local who's learned in traditional Chinese medicine, or the like. You should be able to find some studies on what you take---not a lot, because pharm doesn't really profit off of it, but a few, usually conducted by researchers in the East.

Otherwise, healthful kind and amount of exercise and meditation are general tonics for well-being that don't have foreign substances affecting your brain.

What do you think?

I have no idea. I took zyprexa recently and I felt so god damn awful, tried a bit of latuda and I was alright, geodon fucks me up, im so over trying psych meds I want something reliable with hardly any side effects

I won’t play doctor, even tho. IME THC cannabis and booze help make boredom tolerable. Are you experiencing autonomous voice communication? I’m forced (injections and pills) antipsychotics for 10 years now. Gained over 100 lbs all so a psych gets paid. Unreal

Theres no question that antipsychotic made my life livable. I personally can recommend them, even though I guess some people get more side effects.