View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health Anticonvulsants and psychedelics

telepathetic

Bluelighter
so, for the past week I've been taking phenytoin 3x a day at 100mg. This will continue for the next 10 days at least. Then I will have about 3 days off of the stuff, before I plan to take a decent dose of mescaline, probably some ketamine, kratom, and maybe some alcohol. My concern is the mescaline, not because of safety, but because this MOA:

Phenytoin is believed to protect against seizures by causing voltage-dependent block of voltage gated sodium channels.[40] This blocks sustained high frequency repetitive firing of action potentials. This is accomplished by reducing the amplitude of sodium-dependent action potentials through enhancing steady-state inactivation. Sodium channels exist in three main conformations: the resting state, the open state, and the inactive state.

Phenytoin binds preferentially to the inactive form of the sodium channel. Because it takes time for the bound drug to dissociate from the inactive channel, there is a time-dependent block of the channel. Since the fraction of inactive channels is increased by membrane depolarization as well as by repetitive firing, the binding to the inactive state by phenytoin sodium can produce voltage-dependent, use-dependent and time-dependent block of sodium-dependent action potentials.[41]
.[16]

sounds very similar to depakote, which I know would prevent the effects of the psychedelics. Do you think I will be blocked from tripping ? :(

(for the record i dont have a seizure disorder, I am being paid to take this as a lab rat)