• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Anticholinergics Use As A Deterrent In Narcotic Preparations

muie

Bluelighter
This only confirms what I have though all along, which was that in no way shape or form do anticholinergics potentiate the effects of opioids! Rather they are used as a deterrent! Every single time I've had a preparation containing an anticholinergic (esp with codeine which is weak as is), I found that I couldn't even reach the ceiling level of codeine without the anticholinergic effects *completely* overpowering the effects of the narcotic (spaced through the day and still). While undoubtedly it will make the sedative effects stronger, it may also make the narcotic last a shorter time & above all it won't/can't be felt to its full potential. So if your main goal is an extreme sedation, of course it makes sense what it is said of 'Twilight Sleep' a mix of morphine & atropine or scopolamine, but like I said this preparation isn't mostly used for pain, rather its used for sleep!

The following comes from Wikipedia's page on anticholinergics:

Several narcotic and opiate-containing drug preparations, such as those containing hydrocodone and codeine are combined with an anticholinergic agent to deter intentional misuse. Examples include Hydromet/Hycodan (hydrocodone/homatropine), Lomotil (diphenoxylate/atropine) and Tussionex (hydrocodone polistirex/chlorpheniramine). However, it is noted that opioid/antihistamine combinations are used clinically for their synergistic effect in the management of pain and maintenance of dissociative anesthesia (sedation) in such preparations as Meprozine (meperidine/promethazine) and Diconal (dipipanone/cyclizine), which act as strong anticholinergic agents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticholinergic

On a very important note I once read that anticholinergics are extremely dangerous because they can mask the effects of other drugs your on such as stimulants! For example if your high on belladonna or datura (or OTC Benadryl) it is dangerous to take any stimulants as the stimulant effects will be blocked - once when I took 2 bottles Robitussin (DXM) along with 10 Gravols, wanting to stay up longer, my friend & I both ate about 4-7 10mg Ritalin IR. With our tolerances 15mg-25mg Ritalin would have woke us up good & 40mg+ would have us 'minted fresh'. We never ever felt the effects of the Ritalin but I assure you that the body felt it as if it wasn't enough the already high blood pressure an anticholinergic high/delirium causes.