• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Antibiotic interaction with kratom and benzodiazepines?

aspiringchemist

Bluelighter
Hey everyone,

I have an abscess that formed on my leg about a week ago; I've been off the needle for a decade or more, so this is not the result of that. The culture came back negative, which I find bizarre.

Anyway, I'm currently on both doxycycline 100mg BID and cephalexin 500mg QID. I take clonazepam (2mg daily) and kratom (50-70g daily) and have for many years now. I don't feel well, sort of withdrawal-like feelings; but that could be the infection too I suppose.

From what I can gather online, these particular antibiotics do not undergo metabolic processes, and therefore should not interfere with CPY450 expression. Curious if anyone has any further information.

Thanks ✌

yes certain antibiotics can inhibit or induce enzymes in your liver which can either block or potentiate certain drugs.

just read a case study about a guy who took antibiotics and overdosed on codeine because it blocked his body from eliminating the drug

what antibiotic are you on?

yes certain antibiotics can inhibit or induce enzymes in your liver which can either block or potentiate certain drugs.

just read a case study about a guy who took antibiotics and overdosed on codeine because it blocked his body from eliminating the drug

what antibiotic are you on?
Sorry about that... I accidentally submitted the post while I was still typing lol. The OP is updated now with all pertinent info.

@aspiringchemist

when you say you are experiencing withdrawal like symptoms, what do you mean? What type of symptoms are you having?

A few times in my life I've had days where I felt like I was withdrawaling off opioids and/or benzos for no reason. I can't really explain it but it happens to me sometimes. Anxiety, dissociation, blurry vision, restless legs... stuff like that. Always goes away the next day. Not sure what causes it.

I've read cases of methadone patients going into withdrawal because of antibiotics. To lazy to pull up the papers but it is definitely a thing.

@aspiringchemist

when you say you are experiencing withdrawal like symptoms, what do you mean? What type of symptoms are you having?

A few times in my life I've had days where I felt like I was withdrawaling off opioids and/or benzos for no reason. I can't really explain it but it happens to me sometimes. Anxiety, dissociation, blurry vision, restless legs... stuff like that. Always goes away the next day. Not sure what causes it.

Mainly fatigue, nausea, and a slight fever intermittently. I suppose it's probably the infection. It also seems like kratom isn't hitting as hard as it usually does. I mainly wanted to know if anyone had any bad experiences with these particular antibiotics and the other drugs listed. Because they supposedly do not require metabolic processes to elicit their effects, theoretically there should not be an interaction with kratom or clonazepam, like the one you mention about codeine clearance being decreased, resulting in overdose (at least I assume that's the reason for that particular OD given that some antibiotics do influence CPY450 expression and codeine relies heavily on these metabolic pathways).

I hear ya on having days that feel off even though you've taken all your usual shit. I definitely experience this as well.

Thanks