• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Anti-histamines (promethazine) vs anti-psychotics for sedation/sleep?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
I'm taking 125 mg prometh for sedation at night, and it also keeps me chill during the daytime.

I understand some people use anti-psychotics for the same purpose, as they can be quite sedative.

Comparing the potency of each, is one distinct from the other?

125 mg prometh is way over the max recommended dose (50 mg) so thought about replacing one with the other.

Prometh also gives me restless leg syndrome.

Anyone experience this with anti-psychotics like seroquel?

I have experienced RLS with both antihistamines and antipsychotics.

I never experienced it with seroquel, though, at doses used for sleep.

50mg of DPH gives me noticeable annoying RLS, with APs it's a little less common and occurs at the higher end of therapeutic doses (olanzapine/risperidone)

About almost 20 years ago, when I was institutionalised cause of amphetamine psychosis, but mis diagnosed as a schizophrenia I had severe reaction to antipsychotics. It was "restless everything". But that was normal reaction on an abnormal treatment. In hospital and first 6 months "outside" I received by force and with the "help of my parents" several antipsychotics - "fluphenazine depo"(don't remember dose) once a month, promazine 3 x 100mg daily and olanzapine 2 X 10mg. That cocktail made me extremely restless but at the same time I was extremely stiff, could not move very well and was drooling on myself.

So yeah, I have experienced and if I come to think about it (laymens terminology ahead) it has to do with blocking dopamine receptors. Dopamine plays huge roll, different in different parts of the body, and one of it's role's is to facilitate movement of muscles. I experienced akathisia and you should be happy that you don't. So yes, I think that are pretty usual side effects when taking those type of dopamine inhibiting drugs.

About almost 20 years ago, when I was institutionalised cause of amphetamine psychosis, but mis diagnosed as a schizophrenia I had severe reaction to antipsychotics. It was "restless everything". But that was normal reaction on an abnormal treatment. In hospital and first 6 months "outside" I received by force and with the "help of my parents" several antipsychotics - "fluphenazine depo"(don't remember dose) once a month, promazine 3 x 100mg daily and olanzapine 2 X 10mg. That cocktail made me extremely restless but at the same time I was extremely stiff, could not move very well and was drooling on myself.

So yeah, I have experienced and if I come to think about it (laymens terminology ahead) it has to do with blocking dopamine receptors. Dopamine plays huge roll, different in different parts of the body, and one of it's role's is to facilitate movement of muscles. I experienced akathisia and you should be happy that you don't. So yes, I think that are pretty usual side effects when taking those type of dopamine inhibiting drugs.

Damn man, I'm sorry you went through that. I can totally sympathize. Akathisia scares the hell out of me, the side effects of being on a cocktail of hardcore meds and the presumption that your brain is completely fucked and nobody can help you.

If I get restless leg syndrome on promethazine, given its lower Dopamine affect, would that means there's a vastly higher probability I would experience it on anti-psychotics like seroquel?

@SnafuInTheVoid It was hard. Especially looking psychiatrists in eyes and see that they are not interested in you being healthy/happy but on as many medications possible. Pushing new and "better" neurolepticd like Zyprexa or Zeldox. I have seen such a horrifying situation on a weekly basis - taking people off benzodiazepines and giving them antipsychotics that they dont need. It is true that people were "off", but removing 4mg of Xanax or 6mg Klonopin is the true reason why they were off... Fear, anxiety, senses disturbed, some paranoia and delusion maybe were present, but because psychiatrist were puling benzo carpet beneath their fragile legs. And then they would tell them that the underlying issue is some sort of schizo disorder or bipolar...and on antipsychotics they went. It is a cruel money driven society of doctors that used and abused their power in order to get quick buck. Just for context- this is Eastern Europe and we all pay through heavy taxation to get "free health". It really is an ugly story...

@SnafuInTheVoid It was hard. Especially looking psychiatrists in eyes and see that they are not interested in you being healthy/happy but on as many medications possible. Pushing new and "better" neurolepticd like Zyprexa or Zeldox. I have seen such a horrifying situation on a weekly basis - taking people off benzodiazepines and giving them antipsychotics that they dont need. It is true that people were "off", but removing 4mg of Xanax or 6mg Klonopin is the true reason why they were off... Fear, anxiety, senses disturbed, some paranoia and delusion maybe were present, but because psychiatrist were puling benzo carpet beneath their fragile legs. And then they would tell them that the underlying issue is some sort of schizo disorder or bipolar...and on antipsychotics they went. It is a cruel money driven society of doctors that used and abused their power in order to get quick buck. Just for context- this is Eastern Europe and we all pay through heavy taxation to get "free health". It really is an ugly story...
Mental health diagnoses are horse shit, the whole idea of them. My shrink says the DSM isn't useful to me or to him, it is for insurance companies interests only.
* A medical diagnosis tells a physician exactly what procedures might solve the pathology, this is what makes them useful. A mental health diagnosis doesn't do that for a therapist. The DSM also changes drastically every dozen years or so, redefining almost every disorder when it does so.
* Even if they were useful, nobody abusing drugs or in acute withdrawal or post-acute withdrawal should be diagnosed with any new mental health disorders. All three states are abnormal and are primarily due to the drugs.
* I was misdiagnosed with BPD while in post-acute withdrawal based on behaviors while actively using and abusing multiple drugs. This ruined my life as much as any drug has, and it certainly put the last coffin nail in my marriage. Andguess what, I became my diagnosis and started behaviors to better fit it, including cutting myself, shooting myself in the foot with a pellet rifle, accepting less from myself, becoming complacent in my recovery, there is too much to list. I see it with almost every other mental health patient I know. "Well my PTSD has to be treated before my OCD can be." YOU ARE NOT YOUR DIAGNOSIS.

Anti psychotics can make you sleep over 24 hours

Antihistamines can't do that but are way less dangerous than antipsychotics which should be controlled more. They should be for legit schizophrenics or short term emergency treatments like meth psychosis or a bad hallucinogen trip.