• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

anti drug adds.. do they work?

The problem with running media campaigns for anti-drug or drink driving is that they are based on the same principles as advertising.

This is where the problem lies as advertising itself only aims to alter CHOICE and does not alter BEHAVIOR.
Someone will always buy a car, advertising just influences their decision on what type.
We will still buy a cola, but advertising influences whether it is Pepsi or Coke.

I think that getting people to physically do something out of the ordinary will take more than a flashy 30 second TVCommercial and a slogan.

Witch Doctor said:
alot of the times anti drug propoganda actually made me aware of drugs ive never heard of, wtf is ketamine when ur in yr10? :p those drug talks at school used to interest the fuck outta me

Very true, these strategies just dont work

lol as usuall my quotes worked just great

The one I always found most intersting is of the girl, half her face happy, the other coming down found in Melbourne clubs that say "What goes up, must come down". At least its somewhat honest... don't know if it's stopped anyone from taking drugs though.

Maybe the underlying message of these commercials is to place drug use in context for young people. The advertisements often focus more on the interpersonal problems that could potentially be experienced (ie. 'it's not a victimless crime, your drug use affects those around you')...?

BigTrancer :)

The only scare commercials that worked for me are the smoking ones...
Although... feed me too many drugs and Ill still smoke the fuckers...

God damn.

=D

When i had drug education in yr 9 or whenever i was actually more intrigued to try marijuana... Although E always seemed like a really hard drug next to heroin. Then eventually i did my research and as it was easier for me to get ecstasy then weed i had my first experience and my world was changed for the better.
But no i dont believe drug education substantially reduces drug use although it does seem to change the perspectives of individuals and non-users perspectives of drug users. It seems anyone who has tried ecstasy or cocaine etc is more likely to be termed a junkie from inexperienced views...

i've always thought they were there to help parents break the ice over drugs - i remember watching tv with my mum one night when an anti-extacy add came on - she turned to me and asked if i knew of any of my mates or myself took it (i know for a fact she wouldn't have asked me out of the blue). I turned to her and said yeah a few people i know have tried it, but i don't think it's something i'll take, the funny thing was, i had only woken up a few hours earlier from a big nite on the bikkies the night before and in my head i really was thinking "urggh never again, i won't touch another pill as long as i live" sure enough 2 weekends later there i was, rolling like a good little bitch, having the time of my life.
as for if any of them ever worked on me - that old anti-smoking one with the little girl telling her (relatively young) dad about her day in the park, and then her dad being on a respirator in hospital.. voiceover saying "how will smoking affect your life?" sure made me put the cigarette i was smoking out quick smart (i'm still smoking tho - damn addictive nicotine)

Has anyone seen the Kiwi add with the guy scooping a bit of his brain out and snorting it on a toilet seat. I think it never made it past the production stage and was never aired due to the absurdity of it.

Those ads with the series of photos of the same person from when they were healthy to when they were a junkie... they're freakin' scary.

Or just look at Whitney Houston. That's enough of a deterrent for me.

Oh I think anti-drug ads are great - - good to see Johnny is using our money wisely. I dont know what would horrify all the olds more, the scenes of poppers dancing away ata rave then having a horrifying come down, or the story of most pill takers, have a pill, enjoy a dance and a civilised chat then back to university or full time work on monday.

Gets John Howard more votes from the economically charged upper middle class of course.

Meh, seeing anything to do with cones in any media brings fond memories back of smoking said cones... but the shit that was circulated as education re: 'ecstacy' [and amphetamines etc] when I was at school meant I didn't even consider the drug until I was drunk one night. Sure advertising may have/have had an effect [on me personally] but I think with that effect often comes a desire to do your own research and as others have said people may well end up dabbling subsequently and enjoying as a result of it. Mad props. *

*Drunk, ignore possible contradictions in post.

Edit:
Fry-d- said:
It’s still stuck in my mind that acid will burn holes in my brain and I'll get stuck in a never ending trip. This although I now know to be ant drug proper gander was fed to me as a child by anti drug activists and still lingers in my mind.

I've never touched acid and probably never will.

Is this still the case two years on from this post?

Last edited: