• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Ankle swollen after IV in foot

ived2death

Greenlighter
I recently fell off the wagon after being clean off opiates and in an effort to hide my behavior i shot in my foot. I nodded out and woke several hours later with a swollen ankle. The ankle is not very close to the injection site. In the attached image you can see both the injection site on top of the foot and the inflammation to the left side of my ankle. Feels almost like a sprain. It only hurts mildly and after I walk around it hurts less and less. I did fall asleep in an awkward position in my chair also. So I am wondering possible infection, or after some reading DVT can appear like a sprain. Worst part is I wouldn't have known it if I did hit my ankle or something probably as I've been pretty hammered the past few days. Please take a look, anybody experienced something similar. If it hasn't gotten better tomorrow I'm definitely going to a walk-in clinic tom. If it is more severe than I thought let me know and I will spend 5-10k on er bills. I do have some antibiotics so in the case its just an infection I can treat it myself.

15dl0eb.jpg

Last edited:
ER now

hospital

now no questions go

losing your foot is not worth hiding your habit, which will blow the secret wide open now

honestly it doesn't look too bad it will be a simple fix just do not put it off

Your saying that if I go now it will be a simple fix? So you know what is wrong or u are saying it is not worth the risk of losing a foot?
I do have some antibiotics here. I will go tonight just need to arrange transportation.

I would go to the hospital man, there's no way anyone can diagnose you over the internet. It could just be a sprain or it may be something much more serious.

Yeah but I gotta make a risk management decision. Go to hospital and incur thousands of dollars of fees that I can never pay, or wait until morning and see a doc at a urgent care for 75$ to get the same results. I realize nobody can diagnose over the internet and your just interested in harm reduction. I am too, but I'm also interested to own what little I do own lien free.

Edit: the area does seem to be spreading more rapidly. Gonna go in I just hope they don't give me a dam antibiotic script like I already have in front of me.

Last edited:
Depends... Is it something where you were sitting on it for hours? You said you were nodded for hours so ill assume you didn't miss at all, so why do you think the swelling is an IV complication ?

If you are scared you should go for a doctor to see it. But if it were me i would wait til am and go to walk in place. Most stuff that few hours won't make a difference.

But that's me. You have to do as you said and factor in your risk factors

That is what was throwing me too is it wasnt even at the injection site. But it was definitely an infection. Cellucitus or something. Gotta do a round of anti biotics. From not being sterile while injecting. Learned my lesson, be clean or dont do it at all lol. I actually know someone who almost died cuz they had one of those infections and waited too long to go to the doctor. So now I owe 5k in hospital bills not counting the xrays (why they xray is beyond me) or the IV of anti biotics they gave me. I'm glad I went but if i knew then what I know now I''d have held out for morning for a walkin.

The rule for injection sites is arms, hands, legs, feet. So how is the foolin everyone working out? I may try some warm compresses,but eventually you're going to have to cut(lol) your loses and seek medical attention. Any free clinics around?They wonderful at not asking the obvious.

Not fooling anybody. I just wanted to wait until morning when I could go to a clinic for much less money. I saw that the infection was spreading rapidly though so I went on into the ER. I wasn't joking about actually owing them 5k not counting xrays...why they needed xrays after establishing I had an infection was beyond me. Got a script of anti biotics to take. A combination of BL and common sense told me this wasn't going away and could be dangerous. Just wish I could estimate how dangerous how fast lol coulda saved some trouble with these bills. Not that I'll ever pay them.

If it had been phlebitis, you could have died very rapidly. That is an infection in your blood vessels. Basically, it travels extremely fast and can cause infections in your heart that at the very least leave you weak and sickly for the rest of your life.

Phlebitis doesn't happen from a miss, it happens from conditions not being sterile and can actually be a little ways down from the injection sight. It is extremely painful, and will make the limb that it is present in swell like crazy very quickly. If this happens to you again, go to the doctors quickly. Generally they can clear this up at a doc in the box(walk in clinic) with just a shot and a course of antibiotics.

The salient point is that it is important to catch this quick, because it is hard to tell if you have an infection in your heart until you start developing symptoms, like chest pain, fatigue, and weakness...by then you may have already done some damage.

I am glad you are okay. Also, if you are nodding out for hours, you may not be fooling anyone...just be careful, and stay safe my friend.

Not fooling anybody. I just wanted to wait until morning when I could go to a clinic for much less money. I saw that the infection was spreading rapidly though so I went on into the ER. I wasn't joking about actually owing them 5k not counting xrays...why they needed xrays after establishing I had an infection was beyond me. Got a script of anti biotics to take. A combination of BL and common sense told me this wasn't going away and could be dangerous. Just wish I could estimate how dangerous how fast lol coulda saved some trouble with these bills. Not that I'll ever pay them.
ouch sorry for the bill. Glad you are ok

Thanks for the info Manboychef:

I think its time I stop IV drug usage again at least until next time. Every time is the last time so I don't even bother saying its the last time anymore. Might go years, hell maybe even make it a decade this time.

PS: apparently they are lacing the H in my area with a little amphetamine. The H is good but they put a little amphetamine in there to reduce nods and keep you awake doing H. I tested positive for amphetamine and I've done no such types of drugs.

As far as your bill, talk to the hospital and tell them you don't have the means to pay. Most hospitals know they are going to write off a percentage of bills and most have programs in place to give "grants" where if you qualify you don't owe anything.

But regardless hospital bills won't affect your credit. Lol that's why people don't give them too much priority. And no matter how much you owe, a hospital ER must treat you if you return

I'm glad you are doing well. Better safe than sorry--sometimes peace of mind is worth the $$

As far as your bill, talk to the hospital and tell them you don't have the means to pay. Most hospitals know they are going to write off a percentage of bills and most have programs in place to give "grants" where if you qualify you don't owe anything.

But regardless hospital bills won't affect your credit. Lol that's why people don't give them too much priority. And no matter how much you owe, a hospital ER must treat you if you return

I'm glad you are doing well. Better safe than sorry--sometimes peace of mind is worth the $$

If you don't pay your medical bills they get turned over to a scum collection agency that gets pennies on the dollars for it and then it goes on your credit and then depending on the state they tack on thousands of dollars in late and lawyer fees and eventually garnish your wages. America is great.

and this is at the end of the day why IVing doesn't work out more econimcal and what you gain in the rush and increased bioavailability - you lose in the increased health risks, hospital bills, and psychological trauma.