View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Animals Seem To Respond Differently To People Who Are Tripping

LandsUnknown

Bluelighter
There was once when I was walking around while tripping and happened across a deer. I just thought to myself, "I wonder how close I could get to it without it running away". Since deer usually just bolt as soon as they see a human, I thought it would be interesting. I swear I probably got within 3 or 4 feet of it. After that, I tried getting close to the deer while sober and they always just ran as soon as they saw me like they always do, even if I focused on "staying really calm" like I did while I was tripping and got very close to it. Even flocks of birds don't always scatter right away when I've walked past them while tripping. There does seem to be something to this. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have actually experienced exactly what you are talking about and have wondered if anybody else noticed such occurrences or if it was just my mind when tripping.

Sure, something about behavior or physical tells might *not necessarily correctly* inform them that you are not working to catch them? Whatever it is, probably not the big pupils lol

But yes animals are often really sensitive to non-verbal language as it can tell you so much. Which begs the question what kind of message your non-verbal communication is giving out when you're tripping. Would be really cool to get an expert on the matter of non-verbal communication on reading a tripping person's behavior.

Sure, something about behavior or physical tells might *not necessarily correctly* inform them that you are not working to catch them? Whatever it is, probably not the big pupils lol

But yes animals are often really sensitive to non-verbal language as it can tell you so much. Which begs the question what kind of message your non-verbal communication is giving out when you're tripping. Would be really cool to get an expert on the matter of non-verbal communication on reading a tripping person's behavior.

Definitely agree with this.

I remember years ago I took 4-aco-dmt with a friend at a small beach at a nearby lake, and a mother duck walked up to where we were sitting, within only a couple feet, and just sat down and stared at us for like an hour. It tucked its head back into its feathers making it sort of this jumble of feathers and duck-ness (sitting like in picture). And I remember the visuals were crazy, it appeared as if it were morphing into all sorts of other woodland creatures (beaver, chipmunk, even like a snake/lizard). I had never really looked at a duck that close before, so many details and patterns in the feathers.
Mother-Mallard-Duck-sleeping-with-her-new-team-of-ducklings.jpg

As well, most people are a bit more gentle when they are tripping, and pets respond well to this, especially ones that aren't yours. I've always heard people recount the myth that they were rolling and petting their cat, it caused the cat to roll as well through skin contact (lol). Like nah dude, you were just rolling and being really nice your cat and it was digging it.

Last edited:
I've the same feelings. I have 3 cats, when I take psychedelics at home they want to play with me all the time and they follow me everywhere. Without a doubt, they enrich my trips. When I look into their eyes, they seem "more human" than when I'm sober, it's a strange feeling. Sometimes our gaze is so intense that I feel an infinite respect, it has even made me uncomfortable.

The day before I insufflated 80mg of Ketamine and in the peak my smaller cat got on top of me and we stared at each other for a few seconds. I swear to God I thought I was looking in the mirror. It was incredible.

DocLad

I've the same feelings. I have 3 cats, when I take psychedelics at home they want to play with me all the time and they follow me everywhere. Without a doubt, they enrich my trips. When I look into their eyes, they seem "more human" than when I'm sober, it's a strange feeling. Sometimes our gaze is so intense that I feel an infinite respect, it has even made me uncomfortable.

The day before I insufflated 80mg of Ketamine and in the peak my smaller cat got on top of me and we stared at each other for a few seconds. I swear to God I thought I was looking in the mirror. It was incredible.

DocLad

Aww man you're making me miss my cats back at my parents house:(

Heartbroken that 99% of apartments in my city don't allow pets (and even if they did I feel bad confining the little guys to such a small space).

Absolutely, I actually had a experience very very similar to the OP. A couple of years ago I spent a few months in the USA for my job. On one of my days off I took some ETH-LAD and went hiking on a trail across a nearby forest. There was a moment on my hike that I sat for a while and listened to music. I lay very still for maybe 15 minutes, when a deer happened across the trail. There are no deers where I live so I was very intrigued and looked at it very intently. He also stood there for a very long time, examining me. Then, he just sort of strolled away in a carefree manner. It was pretty intense for me, left me kind joyous haha. I latter found out on subsequent walks down that trails that deer weren't usually as confident.

More recently I had a similar eye-to-eye conversation with a big bird I saw while tripping on 3C-P on a distant Island somewhere in the south of the world. There really seems to be something with animals and psychedelics.

I have been thinking about this :

And I thought that maybe it actually IS the big pupils. I think many mammals, like cats for example, have dilated pupils while very scared because of adrenaline and the other natural catecholamines and stuff? Maybe other animals can see that and we gave the impression of being in fear ? So perhaps they just see us as terrified helpless animals and so find no reason to have fear of us ? Just a highpothesys.

In the early '70's York University was surrounded by woods.
I took a weed break, by wandering into the woods and smoking a few tokes left in a roach.
birches and pines are what I remember, and a leafy floor. (It could have been mid April.)

when I looked up I saw that an Owl was staring at me not 8 feet away on an eye level branch.
We mesmerized each other for a few minutes, staring and it was both strange and wonderful.
Slowmo, like underwater.

I thought up an experiment: maybe if I raise my leg it will raise it's leg too.

so I lifted my left leg till the knee was as high as it would go.

The owl immediately did the same and now perched on one foot with its talons curled gently towards me.

I then lowered my leg and backed away respectfully bowing.

Uncanny - the air seemed to be bristling with energy through this inter-species encounter.

A few years back I was with my ex girlfriend on some liberty caps we'd picked earlier that day in some fields, at a wooded forest in Wales. We sat on a bench next to a light in the dark looking into the forest and taking nitrous for hours in end; it was a very beautiful experience. At one point we noticed a moth kept flying around and bumping into the light etc. We were joking about it and saying it was probably a fairy when I had the thought that I was so connected to the forest that I could probably make the moth land on my hand. So I called out to the moth to land on my hand and it did, then just sat and chilled for a bit. I wasn't even that surprised at the time.

My dogs react to my Ketamine dreams so closely that it's a little spooky.
I also have a dog who had been dumped and we rescued it.
He was so skittish no one could get near him.
One night I was doing some oral DMT and he came right up to me and let me pet and scratch him and that had never happened prior to my trying to approach him while tripping.
I did this same thing several times and he was always easier to approach while I was high.
He has since lost his skittishness, so I can no longer experiment with him in this manner...Long way around to say "yes" i am sure they do.