• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Anhedonia after quitting phenibut

phenibut10

Greenlighter
Its been 20 days since I quit phenibut, I use to take 32 grams a day, 4 times a week for about 2 months. Now after quitting I experience extreme Anhedonia, its like nothing brings me any kind of emotional response anymore. no anxiety, no depression, no joy,no anger, just like nothing. Has anyone went threw this, and if so how long did it take before you started to feel somewhat better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive never been through phenibut addiction, but anhedonia will most likely pass after a few months. Your dosage was quite extreme, so your body is going to need a long time to recover, especially when it comes to GABA-ergic drugs. Im happy to hear that you chose to get off of it, and have been clean for 20 days, thats a fantastic start.

32 grams a day?? holy shit how'd you work up to that and how'd that not wreck your stomach???

You'd be surprised how insidious gabaergic tolerance can become. I have myself taken around that much without too much tolerance to begin with. My, what a horrible fucking hangover that was. It is the closest I have ever come to the experience of what I can only imagine DTs must be a little like. Absolutely horrible. Just because one can easily order it online and it's legal in the US folks assume Phenibut won't be that harmful. Little do they know...

How you doing OP?

I'm doing alright just suffering from anhedonia still after being off phenibut, but I hope it passes with time. Do you still take phenibut, and did you get any annoying symptoms after using high doses of phenibut. Also, what is DTs?

Delirium tremens: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens

Yeah, I would get some weird side effects after large doses. They are hard to describe, but the words "skip tracers" or "electric zaps" seems to come close. They were very similar to high doses of baclofen (another GABA-b agonist like phenibut, they act fairly similarly apparently), perhaps when combined with a little caffeine.

I haven't taken phenibut in a long time. If I was gonna fuck with gabaergic substances I'd just use a tasty benzodiazepine like clonazepam, alprazolam or diazepam, but I have very, very little desire to seek those out. Or I guess a beer, I do have a beer or wine on occasion. These types of substance have never particularly been my thing though.

I only used phenibut for like a couple months back when I was on buprenorphine maybe five years ago. I probably started off using 5-10g and it quickly escalated from there. My tolerance to gabaergics, outside of ethanol, has always been a little weird (higher than average). Once I've had enough to get a pleasurable effect the side effects are often so noticeable that it isn't particularly as enjoyable. We're all different though when it comes to the effects of various substance though.

Phenibut seems to have a certain antidepressant effect in some people, particularly when used for long periods of time. Perhaps this is one of the reasons you have been struggling with anhedonia. What have you found to be particularly useful in dealing with it?

Phenibut binds at the voltage-dependent calcium channel. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26234470 So it is more similar to Lyrica and Gabapentin. Given the amount you were using and the fact that you went cold turkey you are lucky you didn't have a seizure.

Combine that with this little tidbit https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22572885 and it adds up to you just removed an antidepressant from your system. No wonder you feel anhedonia. To feel better fast you probably need a consult with a pdoc. If you were to take something like Lexapro it usually takes weeks to kick in but usually combining it with Pindolol for just a week or so will accelerate the response greatly. Not too many Doctors know that trick but it is documented.

Last edited:
I'm sure you know 32 grams is an extreme dose. I honestly thought it would be toxic at that level. Can you describe the effects you got from taking that much i.e. for what reasons did you take it, and what did you get out of it?
I find quitting anything GABA oriented is usually safest and easier when you do a controlled taper, especially after loading those receptors up so heavily.

Remember only benzos and alcohol can kill you or cause seizures from withdrawals. Pretty sure they all work in a very similar way, so I'd use caution with the cold turkey approach.
I say this a lot, but exercise, especially lifting weights will start to get your body, mind, and brain chemistry back into high gear.

I use phenibut at maybe 2 grams a day. Maybe a little more/less. Im just curious, have you experienced any worrying side effects at that dose? Would be good to have a report so other users can be safe and smart.

Toothpastedog right now for dealing with the anhedonia after phenibut abuse I dont find anything really useful but I try to exercise alot more and take some vitamins, I think ill just have to wait this one out for awhile to see what happens with time. Also, I was thinking about trying a nootropic called NSI-189 for the anhedonia but im not sure if I should yet. TripMcnealy yeah I knew 32 grams was an extreme dose but my tolerance kept going up to get the same effect I use to get at a 3 gram dose when I first began taking phenibut. Some of the bad effects I got from taking high doses of phenibut was falling alseep at random time, shocks/ zaps throughout my body and I was extremely impulsive. After quitting phenibut cold turkey the worse effect is the anhedonia and a slight ringing in my left ear but that went away. The reasons I took phenibut is because I have generalized anxiety disorder and phenibut was a miracle for that. Phenibut helped me accomplish goals, make friends, and other things. In the end, what I got out of abusing phenibut was anhedonia and a lesson to never abuse phenibut. Last, for worrying side effects honestly i haven't really experienced anything else except for the anhedonia and a slight brian fog sometimes.

Wow, you're very lucky. Not saying the dysphoria and brain zaps are a walk in the park! I got brain zaps from 2 different types of antideppressants, and they fucking suck. It makes me wonder if phenibut has a seretonin aspect to it?? I've read some pretty nasty reports about phenibut WD, but I believe a lot of people don't really know how bad drug withdrawals can be.

I recently started using phenibut and it seems a little inconsistent. Sometimes I get a huge rush of energy, motivation, and sense of well being, almost like a natural high. Other times it's barely noticeable or a little drowzy and heavy limbed, and I'm skeptical about taking a higher dose. One weird thing for me is I feel the effects within 30 minutes, contrary to the few hours onset rule.

On another note, keep up with the exercise and try to stay away from any nootropics that might leave you with another addiction. Low doses of Kratom might be a better option since it's easy to control and long lasting. Good luck!

Yeah brain zaps do suck. Also, I wonder that same thing about phenibut and serotonin activity. Phenibuts mechanism of action still seems to not be fully understood. Also,I'm surprised you respond so quickly to the effects of phenibut 30 minutes is extremely fast. It use to take me 3-5 hours to begin to feel anything. Phenibut can be inconsistent sometimes, do you usually take it on an empty stomach also, do you drink caffeine with it? Anyways thanks I will keep up with the exercise and stay away from gabaergic drugs as long as possible.

Yes they really do. I had them after taking Cymbalta and Lexapro. After the Lexapro I swear the zaps lasted 3 or 4 months and I wasn't even on it for that amount of time. I'd be fucking standing still or walking somewhere and feel this super quick harsh jolt and be disoriented for a split second. And they came in waves too, like 30 times in an hour and then nothing for half a day or even a week! So weird and definitely a little worrying to hear that phenibut can cause them. Must be SSRI link there.

Yea usually I take it on an empty stomach or a little while after a small meal. I notice the best effects in the 30 minute to 2 hr range, then feel the subtle effects for few hrs. Get a little rebound dizziness and anxiety at the end of it sometimes. Definitely going to cut down and use it couple times a week. It would be embarassing to become a phenibut addict after beating a heavy opiate addiction, but then again I'm prone to embarassing myself lol.

Brain zaps for 4 months that sounds horrible! With phenibut the zaps would only last for a few hours on a day I took extremely high doses. Did you go cold turkey off Lexapro or did you taper, and have you fully recovered from it now? The dizziness of phenibut can be overwhelming sometimes. Lol it was pretty embarrassing being a phenibut addict because most doctors or psychiatrist have no idea what phenibut is so theirs no withdrawal treatment for it and if you tell people you're addicted to phenibut most people say "what the fuck is that". Anyways, thats great you were able to overcome heavy opiate addiction, just dont get addicted to phenibut lol.

I'm like super tough and stuff so it wasn't really a big deal, ha just fucking around. It sucked. Yea, it was last march when I started Lexapro. Everything was fine and stayed on it like 2 months but out of nowhere I made a half assed attempt on my life for no reason. Those meds can be more dangerous than most street drugs. I did a 2 week taper, and after 4 months the zaps were gone. I was on Cymbalta year before for 3 months and that seriously fucked my shit up. Those zaps were super intense but not long lasting.

That's so funny. It's a serious thing but it has such a stupid name, i can just imagine a doctor saying "What the fuck is phenibut?" How are you feeling though? You start exercise or anything?

As y'all probably know, Phenibut binds directly to the GHB receptor, or GABAb, so substituting it with another GABAbergic drug while tapering can fundamentally help.

I got off Effexor, on the highest dose, in one week, wanting to get it over with so I can start another antidepressant. And the brain zaps were bad.
So I'm almost done with my Phenibut taper, down to a gram with the aid of Lyrica, and hopefully will be off of it soon.

But as said before, that's half the battle. Being off Phenibut (for me it was over a year at 2.5+ every six hours) can make living life harder. I suggest looking into upregulations concerning GABAbergics, and finding the right one for you. I've heard mixed reviews on Fasoracetam.

Lol that's good TripMcnealy, and yeah that's a fast ass taper after being on a Lexapro for 2 months. SSRI's always made me a bit nervous to take but they're useful, my doctor just prescribed me lexapro but I haven't taken it yet and probably wont. But if they help people in a troubling spot then I can understand how they're useful. One thing I really hear horror stories about is people getting off anti psychotics, those drugs for some people can be like a lobotomy. Did you have any side effects from the SSRI's that never went away, and how long was it before you felt fully recovered from the SSRI's because from some stories I read online people say it can take Years!!!. Also, lol yeah it is a weird name for a drug, the Russians always seem to come up with weird names for things. Also, I've been feeling alright I still have severe anhedonia but I think it will get better with time, for now im taking a light dose of kratom like you recommenced to get some motivation and getting exercise in about 4 days a week.

FelliniWasAJunkie how is lyrica for your phenibut taper? I know phenibut and lyrica are similar in structure so do you really even notice phenibut withdrawal while taking lyrica? Also, yeah I tried fasoracetam but it had a weird sexual side effect for me so I stopped taking it. Right now i'm looking into something called NSI-189 for anhedonia it seems to have good reviews and almost no side effects. Also, I don't think it would interfere with the gaba system or dopamine levels in a bad way.

FelliniWasAJunkie how is lyrica for your phenibut taper? I know phenibut and lyrica are similar in structure so do you really even notice phenibut withdrawal while taking lyrica? Also, yeah I tried fasoracetam but it had a weird sexual side effect for me so I stopped taking it. Right now i'm looking into something called NSI-189 for anhedonia it seems to have good reviews and almost no side effects. Also, I don't think it would interfere with the gaba system or dopamine levels in a bad way.

As y'all probably know, Phenibut binds directly to the GHB receptor, or GABAb, so substituting it with another GABAbergic drug while tapering can fundamentally help.

I got off Effexor, on the highest dose, in one week, wanting to get it over with so I can start another antidepressant. And the brain zaps were bad.
So I'm almost done with my Phenibut taper, down to a gram with the aid of Lyrica, and hopefully will be off of it soon.

But as said before, that's half the battle. Being off Phenibut (for me it was over a year at 2.5+ every six hours) can make living life harder. I suggest looking into upregulations concerning GABAbergics, and finding the right one for you. I've heard mixed reviews on Fasoracetam.

In terms of prescribed medication, gabapentin, baclofen and pregabalin are the ideal phenibut taper meds. Far less unpredictable in their effects and much easier to dose accurately. If I were in this situation, I'd specifically look into baclofen, though any of these would do (just have to be VERY careful at 600mg or more doses of pregabalin).

I saddens me baclofen isn't more commonly used to treat gabaergic dependence and withdrawal. Really effective medication, especially when it comes to managing PAWS. Dependency is an issue, but that applies for all gabaergic medication.

Toothpastedog I totally agree with you Baclofen does seem like its a lifesaver for people going through gabaergic dependence/withdrawal. The only thing I hate is most doctors or psychiatrist wont prescribe Baclofen unless if you have muscle stiffness or something like that. I tried 3 different doctors to get Baclofen for phenibut withdrawal but all of them said no, or just want to prescribe gabapentin which is decent for some withdrawals. Have you had experience with Baclofen for gabaergic PAWS, and if so did it work well because I never tried it?