Anger in sobriety

Kara Kava

Bluelighter
I have been sober a few weeks now off opiates. Before that booze so this is the first time in my life I've been sober. I started drinking at 12, I'm 41. I don't know how to handle my anger.
I was more pleasant to be around when I was on methadone even but the past couple weeks i just want to grab people and hurt them.
I'm not an overly violent person but I have 9 assault charges and have been to jail for some.
I quit cigarettes also. I can't tell my doctor i want to knock out random people and I don't want to go back to jail
Is it just my brain adjusting or was drugs keeping me from killing people

Maybe pick back up the cigs if you just dropped them and quit those a little later.

Your going to need to learn how to interact with people, especially morons, without it effecting you. Iife can be like walking through a park littered with dog shit. The thing is you can't interact with dogshit without getting it on you. Nine assault charges.. what circumstances got you emotional in these.. what got you all fired up?

Maybe pick back up the cigs if you just dropped them and quit those a little later.

Your going to need to learn how to interact with people, especially morons, without it effecting you. Iife can be like walking through a park littered with dog shit. The thing is you can't interact with dogshit without getting it on you. Nine assault charges.. what circumstances got you emotional in these.. what got you all fired up?

I had a drinking problem before opiates and I was just angry at the world. Mostly bar brawls. I would black out and wake up in jail. I was taking benzos with drinking.
I feel better today though so maybe I'm just getting used to being sober. I don't have any coping mechanisms anymore, well not the ones I'm used to.
I don't see any party friends anymore so i am alone quite a bit .
With being locked down it's not helping.
I get a 5 minute phone conversation from a psychiatrist who doesn't even know what medication I'm on.
I have read that after getting sober you get PAWS so maybe it's that.
I definitely don't want to take up smoking again.
I came to my uncle's cabin to just be alone in nature, i find out in nature alone is like therapy

I find alcohol is particularly bad for anger in sobriety. I find that though recovery trends upwards with time, it is not a straight line. Often you'll fall into depressed/anxious states week to week for the first couple months. Anger control seems to be one of those things; I find I have spikes in irritability and it's harder to get on an even keel for those first couple months in particular. I always found weeks 3-6 particularly bad for this with my irritability levels high and myself very edgy. The only thing I've found to help is regular exercise and breathing exercises, along with walks in nature. I definitely think PAWs is at play in your case. Fucking with Gaba receptors with alcohol and benzos seems to produce that lack of mood stability for quite some time. It does get better with time though ime.

Dunno how many people around here are familiar with the likes of Bill Burr (Comedian). He's the best there's been for about the last decade (in my humble opinion).

Long story short: he believes there's too many of us anyway and the herd needs to be thinned (and goes into great detail as to how he would do it in several different shows).

So I wouldn't beat yourself up too badly i.e. go with the flow and may be that you do us all a favor in thinning the herd. I thought COVID was going to be "it" but it isn't by the looks of things (not yet anyway)! Lol!

On a serious note: I agree with the cigarette thing already noted i.e. there's far worse things in this world that you could be doing and I know I feel pretty much the same way after after an hour or so (MAX.) without a cigarette! Lol!

Anyway. Maybe the below will make you feel a little better if only for a short while (or give you some ideas)! Lol!

Thank you, that guy do have some good points lol. If you ever hear " Canadian women chants thin the heard as she grabs her chainsaw "
You will know who

hey @Kara Kava
It's okay to be angry while in sobriety. It's weather or not we act on it is really what matters. Now I'm not one of those big book thumpers and really don't think i should keep track at the end of the day on who the hell i was mad it because in reality its either i will see this person someday again, or fuck it and move on. now If i will see them again, then due to them making me angry I am going to spend as little as time possible around the individual.
I'm sure you hear this shit all the time of 1 day at a time, but it's 100% real, and in this case just 1 thing at a time. like the cigarettes, hell someday it would be good to quit them, just don't try to take on to much at first.

This is something that should be looked at more clearly.

Something tragic happened years ago and instead of dealing with it i got drunk/high and drunk me is quite the asshole. 2 of them were strangers at the liquor store and when they tried to drive away i decided to jump in the back of their jeep because I'm like a rabid dog when mad. 2 were bouncers who were messing with my friend, apparently i think at 125lbs I'm a ninja lol. 2 or 3 just random people who were unfortunate enough to cross my path and the last was a guy who actually attacked me but with my record and I did stab him with a fork i was the one who got charged.
Finally a judge threatened me with 3-5 years, my sob story wasn't working anymore, i was terrified but being Canada my lawyer got me out with time served(1 year) .
Being denied bail and in the nastiest woman's jail in Canada kicking booze, percs and benzos was what it took for me to finally wake up.(from booze)
That was 5 years ago. I haven't drank since and know i can't. I'm lucky i didn't kill someone. I went full on pills then heroin though because I couldn't cope sober. I wrecked my life in a few years. 2 years ago when I couldn't get pills I switched to heroin. A few months after I went on methadone and now off of everything.
I honestly thank jail for getting off booze. All those assaults happened within a 3 year window and i kept getting away with it so why worry.

I am feeling a bit better though. I'm away from people in nature and splitting wood is great therapy.
Mental health isn't that good in my country. I have a psychiatrist who just keeps repeating that every symptom i have is from ptsd and which antidepressants/benzo would you like.
I know the anger i have isn't normal, i am not a friendly person anymore. I got myself off everything by myself but I am getting tired of being my own therapist.
I guess I will figure out this as well and if i don't murder only gets you 7 years , i am joking

Give it time. Methadone withdrawal makes you angry. I will go crazy on people too and know its an issue. Best advice is to keep going and once you have like 6 months clean to seem to get some peace inside of you.

This covid is making everyone crazy.

Also you have to be your own therapist. None of them are worth a damn. Only someone that has been through it knows.

I had a drinking problem before opiates and I was just angry at the world. Mostly bar brawls. I would black out and wake up in jail. I was taking benzos with drinking.
I feel better today though so maybe I'm just getting used to being sober. I don't have any coping mechanisms anymore, well not the ones I'm used to.
I get a 5 minute phone conversation from a psychiatrist who doesn't even know what medication I'm on.
I came to my uncle's cabin to just be alone in nature, i find out in nature alone is like therapy
On benzos +alcohol your reaction is so off that you might be struck, crash unlucky on the pavement and spill your brain out. Get help for that fast!! I was security long enough to see such things firsthand. Its always the same- drunk strong, getting aggressiv, pickin the wrong person...ambulance comes and a puddle of blood on the pavement. You need help!

Pay very careful heed to Herr @mokele 's advice because exactly all of that (minus the brain spilling out) has happened to me.

When I first hung-around with Barleycorn, I was a pathetic fool. I was a young, naive, and incredibly reckless man after getting drunk. My capacity to drink was above average but sometimes I would get drunk very quickly because from early on I preferred alcohol (mainly bier) over food. I ignored eating because I wished to buy as much alcohol as possible. The excuse was that drinking beer is like consuming liquid bread. This is a grossly mistaken view and although it is not relevant to the story, I must mention it here for possible harm reduction purposes, because what the breweries do not add to the beer is one of the most essential nutrients required for the proper and full functioning of the memory centre in the brain called Thiamine. The lack of it causes Beri Beri and Wernicke's Encephalopathy. Continued drinking slowly diminishes the thiamine reserves of the brain, and alcoholics tend to have the worst diets, so inadvertently they end up wiping out their short-term memory skills, among other things. There is a point of no return in the alcohol-abyss and before Korsakoff's psychosis, you have reached the Encephalopathy stage, if not taken care at hospital, then only God can save you.

After the end of the last class on the day of the incident, I was strolling about a little in campus, not doing much but feeling restless, irritable, and discontent. For a couple of months I had my eyes set on a nice brown Asian girl who was known to like it dirty after a couple of drinks. We had exchanged numbers at my home before in a party and things were getting off for me. On that fateful day I met her outside campus while smoking a cigarette. She was with her friend. By some unknown miracle I stuck a conversation with both and not long after we were off to a local bar getting some beers. My luck was off the hook that day because the girl's friend was taking my side! She was happy pairing the two of us off together.

It felt all right for her to take a leave and for the two of us to head into the night together. After a short drive I decided to take us to a club on the fringes of the town. The evening was just settling in and the sun had vanished not too long before we made out way there. More drinking ensued and the beers stopped flowing to give way to good ol' Grey Goose vodka. I was keeping good because I really wanted to lay this girl and had been on a dry spell for a few months before the prospect had taken pace. We were having conversations and some of it became personal too, to the point that it seemed something more could come off of it than a fūck-date. I have always been the guy who prefers a longer lay than a short-term one. But slowly and slowly I was getting keen on forgetting most of my scruples and simply heading in for the kill.

Things seemed to be in favour. The party started a couple or so hours afterwards, and the house DJ was playing some cool techno music; ideal for a nice night-out but without thorough binges. Four of my friends from class showed up and I took a leave to join them for a bit whereas the girl found one of her apartment-building friends there. The break seemed a good idea, but something did not bear well about it for me at first, and I ignored the call of my instinct and went on with smoking a cigarette and making useless banter. One of the guys among the four was a regular and knew the staff at the club, and because the night had been somewhat special, the guy who runs the place, perhaps the manager, was there. I was introduced to him, a casual bloke, but to me fresh out of the nursery, the acquaintance held meaning as if I had known a kingpin.

He was happy to have met me and showed me around a bit and told me to join everybody at the dance floor, but I resisted and was happy being at the lounge, when, as my luck would have it, the guy proceeded to offer me a pink capsular pill, definitely a barbiturate, and in spite of all the alarm bells going off in my head, I resisted saying no, and took it with me. I was in two minds to take it or not and at this point I am still alone and the girl is chatting away and having a good time. I stopped to drink for a bit and was hanging around getting more and more lonely when I decided to say fück it, downed the pill, and went on to get myself more drinks. My memories start to get hazy from now on.

I have no other memories of being in the club. I remember around mid-night getting away from the crowd with the girl (whose friend decided to accompany us) and taking her back home because the three of us were out of our minds. I do not remember driving my way half across the town till we reached her friend's apartment block and got out to leave the two of us alone. Maybe, I thought, we could have one last bit of a drive because going home, and then call it a night. The thought came, I acted on it almost immediately, told my friend of the idea, who of course loved the sound of it, and sealed our fates within a flash.

I took a circle around town and as we were minutes from reaching home, on a narrow strip of road, a little stray dog was busy eating left-over foods on the side, and I fell asleep at the wheel, when the girl's loud shill woke me up and I hurriedly turned left to save the little creature's life, and crashed right into an electric pole on the side of the street. I fell asleep for a couple of more minutes and then realised what had happened and got out to see that the dog was dead and the girl was weeping over it. I assume she felt responsible somehow and a friend of hers came not long after and picked her up from the spot and took her home.

I blew it because of my criminal negligence on the handling of two very serious substances. It set me straight for sometime. The girl and I eventually reconciled and had a nice time but nothing more came of it because I could not care after I was left alone. Then I woke up one day, after about a year, and noticed a lot of people had tried to call me. The girl was dead in a motorbiking accident in the middle of the city highway.

I had a very narrow escape with the law and my life. Keep a very safe distance from mixing benzos with drink. The combination will turn fatal tomorrow if not today.

Almost all individuals will experience at least occasional feelings of anger.
I have been sober a few weeks now off opiates. Before that booze so this is the first time in my life I've been sober. I started drinking at 12, I'm 41. I don't know how to handle my anger.
I was more pleasant to be around when I was on methadone even but the past couple weeks i just want to grab people and hurt them.
I'm not an overly violent person but I have 9 assault charges and have been to jail for some.
I quit cigarettes also. I can't tell my doctor i want to knock out random people and I don't want to go back to jail
Is it just my brain adjusting or was drugs keeping me from killing people

Almost all individuals will experience at least occasional feelings of anger.

On benzos +alcohol your reaction is so off that you might be struck, crash unlucky on the pavement and spill your brain out. Get help for that fast!! I was security long enough to see such things firsthand. Its always the same- drunk strong, getting aggressiv, pickin the wrong person...ambulance comes and a puddle of blood on the pavement. You need help!

If you read you would see i haven't drank in years

If you read you would see i haven't drank in years
I apologize if it came over like that!!😔
YEARS!!! RESPECT!!! That i never managed!
Then i guess you can handle cravings, social gatherings were you get a drink pressed in your hand, even if not requested, Partys etc.
THAT IS something you can be VERY PROUD OF!!!
Keep it up, i just might ask you for advice if i may.
Mo

Pay very careful heed to Herr @mokele 's advice because exactly all of that (minus the brain spilling out) has happened to me.

When I first hung-around with Barleycorn, I was a pathetic fool. I was a young, naive, and incredibly reckless man after getting drunk. My capacity to drink was above average but sometimes I would get drunk very quickly because from early on I preferred alcohol (mainly bier) over food. I ignored eating because I wished to buy as much alcohol as possible. The excuse was that drinking beer is like consuming liquid bread. This is a grossly mistaken view and although it is not relevant to the story, I must mention it here for possible harm reduction purposes, because what the breweries do not add to the beer is one of the most essential nutrients required for the proper and full functioning of the memory centre in the brain called Thiamine. The lack of it causes Beri Beri and Wernicke's Encephalopathy. Continued drinking slowly diminishes the thiamine reserves of the brain, and alcoholics tend to have the worst diets, so inadvertently they end up wiping out their short-term memory skills, among other things. There is a point of no return in the alcohol-abyss and before Korsakoff's psychosis, you have reached the Encephalopathy stage, if not taken care at hospital, then only God can save you.

After the end of the last class on the day of the incident, I was strolling about a little in campus, not doing much but feeling restless, irritable, and discontent. For a couple of months I had my eyes set on a nice brown Asian girl who was known to like it dirty after a couple of drinks. We had exchanged numbers at my home before in a party and things were getting off for me. On that fateful day I met her outside campus while smoking a cigarette. She was with her friend. By some unknown miracle I stuck a conversation with both and not long after we were off to a local bar getting some beers. My luck was off the hook that day because the girl's friend was taking my side! She was happy pairing the two of us off together.

It felt all right for her to take a leave and for the two of us to head into the night together. After a short drive I decided to take us to a club on the fringes of the town. The evening was just settling in and the sun had vanished not too long before we made out way there. More drinking ensued and the beers stopped flowing to give way to good ol' Grey Goose vodka. I was keeping good because I really wanted to lay this girl and had been on a dry spell for a few months before the prospect had taken pace. We were having conversations and some of it became personal too, to the point that it seemed something more could come off of it than a fūck-date. I have always been the guy who prefers a longer lay than a short-term one. But slowly and slowly I was getting keen on forgetting most of my scruples and simply heading in for the kill.

Things seemed to be in favour. The party started a couple or so hours afterwards, and the house DJ was playing some cool techno music; ideal for a nice night-out but without thorough binges. Four of my friends from class showed up and I took a leave to join them for a bit whereas the girl found one of her apartment-building friends there. The break seemed a good idea, but something did not bear well about it for me at first, and I ignored the call of my instinct and went on with smoking a cigarette and making useless banter. One of the guys among the four was a regular and knew the staff at the club, and because the night had been somewhat special, the guy who runs the place, perhaps the manager, was there. I was introduced to him, a casual bloke, but to me fresh out of the nursery, the acquaintance held meaning as if I had known a kingpin.

He was happy to have met me and showed me around a bit and told me to join everybody at the dance floor, but I resisted and was happy being at the lounge, when, as my luck would have it, the guy proceeded to offer me a pink capsular pill, definitely a barbiturate, and in spite of all the alarm bells going off in my head, I resisted saying no, and took it with me. I was in two minds to take it or not and at this point I am still alone and the girl is chatting away and having a good time. I stopped to drink for a bit and was hanging around getting more and more lonely when I decided to say fück it, downed the pill, and went on to get myself more drinks. My memories start to get hazy from now on.

I have no other memories of being in the club. I remember around mid-night getting away from the crowd with the girl (whose friend decided to accompany us) and taking her back home because the three of us were out of our minds. I do not remember driving my way half across the town till we reached her friend's apartment block and got out to leave the two of us alone. Maybe, I thought, we could have one last bit of a drive because going home, and then call it a night. The thought came, I acted on it almost immediately, told my friend of the idea, who of course loved the sound of it, and sealed our fates within a flash.

I took a circle around town and as we were minutes from reaching home, on a narrow strip of road, a little stray dog was busy eating left-over foods on the side, and I fell asleep at the wheel, when the girl's loud shill woke me up and I hurriedly turned left to save the little creature's life, and crashed right into an electric pole on the side of the street. I fell asleep for a couple of more minutes and then realised what had happened and got out to see that the dog was dead and the girl was weeping over it. I assume she felt responsible somehow and a friend of hers came not long after and picked her up from the spot and took her home.

I blew it because of my criminal negligence on the handling of two very serious substances. It set me straight for sometime. The girl and I eventually reconciled and had a nice time but nothing more came of it because I could not care after I was left alone. Then I woke up one day, after about a year, and noticed a lot of people had tried to call me. The girl was dead in a motorbiking accident in the middle of the city highway.

I had a very narrow escape with the law and my life. Keep a very safe distance from mixing benzos with drink. The combination will turn fatal tomorrow if not today.
Yet i increase the wee effects i get off benzos ( tapering now) always with booze. Even before tapering. I occasionaly made a total fool of myself and shouldnt have driven, but i was probably running on the famous benzos/booze/ other downers " Auto- mode ".
My guardian Angel must have grey hair by now, i sure kept him busy, maybe theres a whole army? But hey, they never let me down till yet. Close shaves? Yeah, lots!

That was a good write- up SDXYLN 👍
Reminded me, and it was only the Subway!)
of were i was by a guy i didnt even like, but loaded on Medinox ( seco and cyclobarbital) so much that at least 20+ attempts to roll a joint always ended in me spillin it. The daft wanker just wanted to smoke MY weed and always offered to roll it but, i dont know why, it didnt run well with me. My weed, i roll! Probably cuz he was known to nick Dope when rolling. Time lapse and i was on Way home. To the Subway and down the stairs was a " here i can hold on too, where next ' kinda thing. But down at the Subway, i kid you not, this is true as hell, i saw the Subway roll in on the Wall! I was holding on to a bench and thinking " i cant climb the Wall to get in..."
To this Day i DONT KNOW how i got home except that i couldnt get the key in the door which must have waken someone...
Barbs + Alcohol = ask Marylin Monroe.

I apologize if it came over like that!!😔
YEARS!!! RESPECT!!! That i never managed!
Then i guess you can handle cravings, social gatherings were you get a drink pressed in your hand, even if not requested, Partys etc.
THAT IS something you can be VERY PROUD OF!!!
Keep it up, i just might ask you for advice if i may.
Mo

I am over two years off but I have to tread very cautiously because the longing can get to me. Things depend on the drinker. That kind of a spot would be very hard for me in to be in. It is a sad fact of my life and I must accept it.

Yet i increase the wee effects i get off benzos ( tapering now) always with booze. Even before tapering. I occasionaly made a total fool of myself and shouldnt have driven, but i was probably running on the famous benzos/booze/ other downers " Auto- mode ".
My guardian Angel must have grey hair by now, i sure kept him busy, maybe theres a whole army? But hey, they never let me down till yet. Close shaves? Yeah, lots!

After the incident I have not taken a pill again but the drinking was worse by fifty times.

That was a good write- up SDXYLN 👍
Reminded me, and it was only the Subway!)
of were i was by a guy i didnt even like, but loaded on Medinox ( seco and cyclobarbital) so much that at least 20+ attempts to roll a joint always ended in me spillin it. The daft wanker just wanted to smoke MY weed and always offered to roll it but, i dont know why, it didnt run well with me. My weed, i roll! Probably cuz he was known to nick Dope when rolling. Time lapse and i was on Way home. To the Subway and down the stairs was a " here i can hold on too, where next ' kinda thing. But down at the Subway, i kid you not, this is true as hell, i saw the Subway roll in on the Wall! I was holding on to a bench and thinking " i cant climb the Wall to get in..."
To this Day i DONT KNOW how i got home except that i couldnt get the key in the door which must have waken someone...
Barbs + Alcohol = ask Marylin Monroe.

A reaction like that is instinctual in me. Made me tear up a bit. I hope like me you are doing better today.

PS: vielen Dank mein Sieg!

Maybe your psych is evaluating you, really, the smartest thing to do is to continue using your go to coping mechanisms, your in a safe place to do it, and I'm sure you'll get a treatment regimen from your psych when the time is right. In the meantime don't break your hand ✋.

Maybe your psych is evaluating you, really, the smartest thing to do is to continue using your go to coping mechanisms, your in a safe place to do it, and I'm sure you'll get a treatment regimen from your psych when the time is right. In the meantime don't break your hand ✋.

There is no treatment here, it's elusive if it is. Everyone thinks Canada is a utopia and on some issues we're good but we're behind on mental health imo. I have been my own therapist, psychiatrist here only give antidepressants and benzos and 10 minutes of their time if that. They are basically useless. When I metioned ketamine infusions or another new therapy I get accused of wanting drugs. Quite frustrating. I even asked a psychiatrist why so much schooling to hand out antidepressants. In spite he cut my benzos for the Christmas holiday and I have been on them 20 years.
An ISIS fighter gets more therapy than i do