An overdose and a mother?s search for truth

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
An overdose and a mother's search for truth
Eli Saslow
3/31/2019​

DDCRDCSFDII6TFFL2LO2HQG7KI.jpg

LEWISVILLE, N.C. ? She had spent the past 13 months retelling the story of her daughter to anyone who would listen, and now Susan Stevens, 53, sped down the highway, needing to tell it again. Thirty people were gathered at a Cracker Barrel restaurant to hear a local sheriff discuss the opioid epidemic. Maybe, Susan thought, she could talk to the sheriff about her daughter, Toria. Maybe this would be the time when the pieces fit together and the ending finally made sense.

The car had belonged to Toria, and as Susan pulled into the restaurant?s parking lot, she could hear Toria?s lip gloss rattling around under the front seat. Her anti-overdose medication was still in the glove box, unused.
?It?s our special guest, straight from the White House!? said a hostess, greeting Susan at Cracker Barrel, and it was true. Two days earlier, Susan had been telling the story in the Rose Garden with President Trump. Before that was an anti-drug march. Before that was a middle school assembly. And before that was everything that had happened since the day she saw her 22-year-old daughter dead on the bedroom floor with her eyes open and blood on her face, and a police officer responding to the scene of another drug overdose in America asked Susan whether she might have something important to say about it.

continued https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5e93f7845161

Last edited:
Mmh another dead pretty white girl article. If I am bored of these stories I imagine the general public is too

Mmh another dead pretty white girl article. If I am bored of these stories I imagine the general public is too

I'm sick of hearing about the "opioid epidemic" period, to be honest. Nothing's really changed afaik except that now people with chronic pain can't get their medication. It's not like people dying of heroin is anything new. If anyone wants a scapegoat for all the b.s. blame fentanyl if anything.

What bullshit. She doesn't want to take responsibility for her own role--ignoring her daughters pleas for help when she needed them. Who knows how many there were as a child that were ignored up until that day in HS. Obviously the son could see some.

And then addiction went out of control when there was trauma. Just like it is for everyone else... it's almost like putting people into a dehumanizing system where they're sexually assaulted and told they're worthless isn't a viable system for fixing broken people...

We couldn't do a worse job if we tried.

I just read the article. The mom is fucking dillusional on multiple levels. The way I read it is she gambled on tough love and it predictably blew up in her face. That's why she is trying to place the blame on everything else but that. It's honestly a disturbing article from my perspective. She let's her daughter catch a felony while still in high school to "teach her a lesson". Ignores her daughter when she tells her the public defender is a creep. Then cuts off contact when things spin out of control after she was raped and became a felon. Yeah..... But it's the cartels fault.

Fucking twat. Your daughter is a dead junkie accept it and move on. You aren't going to change shit. Fent is here to stay forever. Stop fucking up my prescription with your crying.