• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

**an Open Forum - Suggestions Anyone? Now open! Tell us what you think!**

What do you think of Aus Social; in it's current state.

• So much fun, I love posting here.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • It's ok, there is some good content

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Don't really think about it.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Repetitive and boring

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • I'm only here right now on pain of death.

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
Ok so far there have been some great responces and i'm please to advise to a large extent the moderators want to open this place up a little. There will definatly be a few changes in how questionable posts are handled and the general structure of the forum.

What form would you like to see it take ?

Holy Crap batman............... is this Aus soc???

Big ups to the new crew including eggy.

I think the most important thing is that Mods need to understand that they dont have to be noticed to be a good mod.

Respect works in both directions.

I havent posted in here for a long long time..........and much of whats written above was the reason why.

I agree with the above regards the large number of threads that simply require one word answers................. I never understood why there had to be soo many frown, smile, eat and drink threads............. in the end they just took over this place.

I noticed that the forum slipped in its average number of posts and if the count was based on quality then it would have been even lower.

I dont agree with heavy discussion that attacks personalities..........flaming is not part of bluelight.

However heavy discussion that is not becoming personal should be an integral part of any board.

This thread alone suggests to me that its time to welcome Aus soc back into my life, at least for a trial period.

Best wishes to the new crew.........you guys will do well.

Yea agreed with MazDan. I know it's efficient to have an Off Topic thread and a Smile and a Frown thread, and I see a use for them. But I'd like to see less reliance on them.

People shouldn't feel discouraged from starting the occasional thread topic that is somewhat random or off topic in nature. It is a social forum after all, and I think that a free flowing nature is necessary. Even if the different threads just give a change of scenery from posting in the same huge singular off topic thread.

We also need to be cognisant of the fact that Aus Social is part of a larger community and other forums have their own niche.

For example if a thread is started thats topic of conversation is about a relationship then it needs to be in SLR, and ecstasy type matter is best suited Ecstasy Discussion and a thread about movies needs to be in Film & Television.

It needs to be said that moderators of other forums are some what possesive about their own forums and want to see them grow with active users and content.

When they see threads in here that are better suited to their forum who do you think gets the angry PM?

We have never discouraged anyone from starting a thread in Aus Social that suits its framework. When a new topic is started it needs to have relevance to Australian Social topics

eggman said:
When they see threads in here that are better suited to their forum who do you think gets the angry PM?

bahahaha, my gawd, some people have way to much hostility.

I would have thought that if someone posts an Ecstasy related thread in aus soc that if you wanted ity then you would keep it and if not that you would move it..............personally i dont give a rats.

Sounds to me like some mods are rather precious.

i think one of the reasons for the decline in bluelight... not just aus social, but bluelight in general... is... SOCIAL NETWORKING WEBSITES...

when i joined bluelight 5 years ago, or whenever it was... i had found a forum where, there were people with the same interests in me (Harm Minimisation/Drugs), i had a place to express myself (I used BL journal way before i used LJ), and there was a social aspect of that there were weekly meetup's in Sydney and social gatherings all the time, whether it be at a festival, gig or a holiday, like the good old christmas drinks...

users use to be addicted to bluelight like the best of drugs, but now a newer, stronger and dirtier drug like myspace and facebook seem to occupy our net time... a lot of my facebook friends are bluelighters... and i can keep up with them there, without having to come here. Back in the day (i sound like an old fart) when you use to get online, download one song at a time via limewire, or some crap program, and use to be on bluelight, trolling away till your coudlnt type anymore.

I think one thing that aus social has lost... is... its actually not all that SOCIAL anymore in real life... i have met more than enough bluelighters over the years at drinks/parties/festivals whatever, and i have established some great friendships that i honestly value, but you just dont see any bluelighters meeting up anymore for random occasions. Not saying this is why, but meeting the people you talk to via a forum, has really helped me understand them better as a person over the years.

Im 100% positive a lot of bluelighters hang out still, i know it for a fact... but its not an open invitation anymore. Its all hush hush, and organised without the assistance of a thread, for example, how C0TB 'n' Busty are coming to Sydney...threads like this use to happen heaps.

like i said, this is just one of the reasons i think its on the decline, there are others which have already been mentioned. Unfortunately, i cant think of a way to fix the IRL social aspect. But... heres hoping.

MazDan said:
bahahaha, my gawd, some people have way to much hostility.

I would have thought that if someone posts an Ecstasy related thread in aus soc that if you wanted ity then you would keep it and if not that you would move it..............personally i dont give a rats.

Sounds to me like some mods are rather precious.

I have nothing against the other mods and I respect their decisions as independent of mine and would never, ever go against them.

However. I think to a certain extent you are right MazDan.
After having a good look through much of Bluelight it has to be said there is heaps of spacial overlap between forums. It also has to be said that as Bluelight has a rather large Aussie poster base, some people would rather have "lounge - type" discussions in Australian social (as most lounge posters are Americans LOL). I'm certainly one of these people. Additionally, as so many people post in the lounge it's hard to keep track of everyone. I agree with Eggman regarding the "Ecstacy" threads, but in regards to topics about SLR, I certainly won't move them to SLR, as there are already heaps of SLR-type threads on Aus-Social (Singles thread, etc etc). As someone said before, the name "Aus-Social" is pretty open to interpretation. Put simply, before I start rambling; it's actually pretty straight forward. As Bluelight is primarily a drug information and harm-minimization site, drug topics should be posted in their relevant forums. As for other topics (films, sex, depression etc), I think users should have the right to post about these (to the people they feel more used to) in Aus-Social. I certainly as a moderator won't move any posts of the like, because to do so would be hypocritial, as there are already heaps of these types of posts on Aus-Social.

I wonder if the mods of the other forums getting aggravated realise that they don't own the forum they mod.

When someone creates a thread, if it generates discussion and people learn something from it (or maybe just get entertained), why does it matter whether it happened in another forum?

I've found that you can't force banter, or good discussion. It's supposed to just flow, naturally.

Granted I acknowledge that sometimes people will just plain post a thread in the wrong forum because they are new or because they didn't know about the other forum that it may have been better suited for. But, take me for example, I've been here for long enough to know what is supposed to go where, and I know what each forum is, so if a post a thread somewhere, it's because I wanted it there. If it then generates interesting / enjoyable discussion then good. If it fails epicly, well, shit, move it, close it, whatever, and I'll go and cry in the corner.

When someone creates a thread, if it generates discussion and people learn something from it (or maybe just get entertained), why does it matter whether it happened in another forum?

I agree, this is why I don't think anything should be trashed unless it is a personal attack (obvious racism etc). An exception is drug threads however as being a harm minimization site, drug information should be quickly accessed via the drug info forums. Forums flow freely, If topics are not popular, the software does the work for us and the thread vanishes from the front page. Simple.

'Threads in their right forums.'

That's something I would've liked to bring up before but I couldn't be fucked geting into some pointless debate because mods ultimately have the perogative in how they mod their forums.

Trolling threads aside, if I started a thread in here be it about relations or movies or drugs, it's because I'm interested in what you people (Aus Social) have to say about the topic, not some other random forumer in another sub-forum whom I have no forum history with.

As much as it's been a problem in the past and in my time, I'd like to see more threads about, stuff happening in Australia be it The Dark Knight, some ABC reporter being done in for drugs, or where I can get good french toast in Melbourne.

I appreciate that BL is a big forum and due to its size, it has to categorise and pigeonhole its varied topics much like any bureaucracy. For its harm minimisation and drug related purposes, yes it helps to have the categories so we know where information is.

But for anything else casual and social, it can also become too structured. I think it's partly why we ended up with multi-page threads with one-word posts.

All i'll say on this matter is that: to the people who are saying that it's a good idea to keep any threads started in Aus Social... in Aus Social; bring it up in Support. It's not something that the Aus Mods did off their own bat, and it was done to encourage less 'isolation' and cross forum use.

^ thats what I was trying to say earlier.

Sometimes it is not always our fault, but i'll wear the abuse - I like it

^ you kinky bastard.

I like the forum, it's slow moving which means that i don't have to check up on it very often, which leaves more time for drinking.

I do request more unsquare though, jolly good character he is.

I haven't really bothered to read this, but I'll throw my two cents in anyway.

Aus social is a really shit clicky forum, that has two main types of posters, antagonists and anal goody two shoesess, and a third less important type, the ass lickers that want to be cool so they lick either of the main groups asses to get kudos.

The discussion generally consists of content I'm up here on the moral highground and aren't I fantastic for it, and fuck you up there I have my own real life view that was shaped by a very narrow set of experiences therefor I'm a self professed reality expert.

That's something that will never change, no matter what you do, it's human nature and it kinda stinks. at the end of the day no one really gives a fuck about the topic they're discussing, it's all about one upping the person(s) they're arguing with.

That's why so many people with a real point of view leave. Plus there's only so many times you can argue the point over, politics, immigrants, and aborigines. I say let aus social die a slow painful death.

^ Feel the plur :)

I like that description but i didnt think it was that exciting. I should pay more attention

I can't believe there were 7 people who voted they're here on pain of death.

Um no, no you're not. Leave. I'm sure noone would mind. If it's really that bad why would you come back long enough to vote in the poll? I smell faux-jaders.

swifty said:

Aus social is a really shit clicky forum, that has two main types of posters, antagonists and anal goody two shoesess, and a third less important type, the ass lickers that want to be cool so they lick either of the main groups asses to get kudos.

The discussion generally consists of content I'm up here on the moral highground and aren't I fantastic for it, and fuck you up there I have my own real life view that was shaped by a very narrow set of experiences therefor I'm a self professed reality expert.

That's something that will never change, no matter what you do, it's human nature and it kinda stinks. at the end of the day no one really gives a fuck about the topic they're discussing, it's all about one upping the person(s) they're arguing with.

That's why so many people with a real point of view leave. Plus there's only so many times you can argue the point over, politics, immigrants, and aborigines. I say let aus social die a slow painful death.

Cliquey, sure, what isn't? A forum is like any other society, social animals form cliques. If you can't deal with that online, how do you deal with real life?

And that said, I think most of us old timers in here have a decent overview of the comings and goings and the cycle of threads, and the 'ass licking' or whatever you think goes on, only means as much as you make them out to be.

I come in here sporadically depending on how free/bored I am, and I haven't noticed any cliques or ass licking or high horses, cos I'm just passing some free time here as most people are.

I don't think its as cliquey as it used to be. From my point of view I think there is less of a split between nu-mid-old skools.

As for ass lickers, I wish I was getting my share cause my toilet paper isn't the good 4 ply stuff.

swifty said:

**Goes and licks ass**