• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

aMT's strange taste and smell.

Transform

Bluelight Crew
This is the only amine I have ever come across which isn't incredibly bitter. Instead there is a hint of bitterness and a bizzare flavour which is a lot like the smell.

The smell is very unusual too, almost floral.

Why is it not bitter, and why does it have such a characteristic smell and taste?
Tags:
alpha-methyltryptamine

I like to describe the smell of the freebase as smelling like granpa. It has this weird old medicine cabinet/hospital-like odor that is so hard to describe. I don' t know why this is, I guess tryptamines just activate our olfactory receptors in a certain unique way.

Last edited:
The smell is very unusual too, almost floral.

Indole is said to have a pleasant floral-like smell at lower concentrations where at higher it becomes fecal/putrid. It could be present as a byproduct or it could be some other completely unrelated odorant(s). There isn't much information to work off though indole (or relative/s) seems quite plausible.

Thanks, I think I've heard that before actually. What I'm most interested in is why it isn't bitter. Does anyone know if 5-MeO-aMT is bitter?

Yeah.

You saying that made me wonder about others. 0.5mg of psilocin freebase was also not very bitter. Thinking about it, I've only really tasted phenethylamines before. Are all tryptamines less bitter?

I don't think that distinction can be made so clear cut, since the psilocin was slightly bitter?

Yeah probably not, but it's ok as a rule of thumb. Maybe psilocin is a bit bitter because it's zwitterionic?

Doesn't aMT's foul odour come from an unfortunate impurity called skatole? Same compound that's found in faeces. I believe aMT degrades into skatole.

I'd imagine if your aMT is freshly synthed and very pure, there's only going to be enough skatole present to emit a floral aroma. However I'd imagine as the aMT degrades over time the levels of skatole will increase and give of a worse and worse stench until everything within a 3-metre radius of the baggy is going to smell like shit.

It could be that aMT isn't very bitter because skatole isn't very bitter. If its taste is as overpowering as its smell, it just masks any potential amine-bitterness.

Last edited:
Yeah, looking it up, the ammonium ion is 9.5 - a minority of the ammonium ion would explain the slight bitterness of psilocin.

My sample doesn't smell at all like poop, and the taste isn't very strong so I doubt it's getting overpowered.

I also question if aMt does degrade into skatole in air - it doesn't seem likely.

4-AcO-DiPT is very very bitter... one of the most bitter rc compounds IMHO

i once made a shot with little water and 25 mg of this...UUGGH

hahah...i tasted 4-aco-dipt once as well, and ohhhhh shit is that stuff vile ! Yeah it's bitter, I guess bitter is what you can call that. It's BY FAR the most bitter thing I can possibly imagine, and also reminds me of ...the concentrated smell of garbage juice or something..just terrrible. I remember retching and gagging horribly after tasted it. Defintely want to put that one in a gel cap if you ever try it.

dpt is like dirt! 4acodmt will be potentiated bt amt as it's an maoi, yes?

I've had AMT that smelled like shit... Only found out after I snorted it. The high was very good though.

The aMT I have is sealed on an air tight glass vial and then inside a ziplock bag. Even with that, as soon as I open my "medicine cabinet" it smells of it. Sort of like faeces and newspapers. As I got used to it it didn't bother me so much, and in the end I even started to like it because smelling it would mean I was getting something out of the "medicine cabinet" to have some fun. Live Pavlov's dogs.

As posted above, the main reason for this smell is skatole. Also the aMT has a pretty strong smell by itself.

I have a sample of 5-APB which tastes similar in that it is not really bitter but has a very similar taste to amt not quite as floral and not nearly as strong. I don't know anything it compares to.

The floral smell could come from indolic impurities. Skatole/indole smell shitty in high concentration, but in low concentrations, they give jasmine essential oil its heady, sweet and floral fragrance.