PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [aMT Subthread] Conversion Tek: Freebase to HCl salt

psood0nym

Bluelighter
<<Go back to Big & Dandy aMT Thread>>

Easy aMT Freebase Kitchen Chemistry Conversion to Purer aMT HCl

The following method is designed for non-chemists and is not ideal (for example, there is no recrystalization process to further improve purity), but it is cheap, difficult to fuck up, and involves extremely minimal loss of product – not more than a few mgs realistically if you’re careful. I have reason to believe micron filtering DOES substantially improve purity * (at least in the case of my aMT), even if it’s not as good as recrystalization. You will need a clean closed off area and 12 to 24 hours for fan evaporation (maybe far less if you minimize water volume). I recommend doing a trial run with just a few hundred mgs for practice and to satisfy yourself the product comes out active and to your liking (I did). I think this ought to work for other freebases as well. Be sure the HCl version of any other chem you think you want to convert is stable (for example, DMT HCl is not stable).

Why convert?:

From what I can gather, the HCl is more stable than the freebase, making it more suitable for long term storage. HCl is more convenient than using other acids (say, citric acid) because it all evaporates at room temperature, so you don’t have to calculate moles or worry about excess acid in the final product. It is also water soluble; this means aMT HCl can be intramuscularly injected. IM injection lowers the needed dose by more than 50 percent (maybe up to ~70 percent) in my estimation and also shortens the onset time and overall duration (~1hr to plateau, 8hr duration at 15 - 20 mg, with 10 – 12 mg being sub-psychedelic, but YMMV!), making aMT trips more conservative and convenient. IM injection involves increased dangers and preparation compared to non-injection methods, so users should consult appropriate guides. Your familiar oral freebase doses should be increased to make up for the percentage difference in molecular weight of the HCl relative to freebase (you’ll need ~20 % more mgs HCl for freebase dose equivalent).

Equipment (all obtained from common retail outlets or purchased on publically accessible websites):

Largish test tube (mine is ~100 mL)
At least a few 3 mL or greater needle-less syringes, at least one with luer lock (screw threads) for attaching
.22 or finer micron filter
Pyrex dish (normal glass baking pan is fine, too)
Flexible razor (for recovering as much aMT HCl as possible from bent areas of pyrex dish if that’s important to you)
Fan
HCl acid (“~30 % muriatic acid” sold as pool cleaner [make sure muriatic acid is the ONLY ingredient])
Small glass cup
Acetone (for cleaning only)
Isopropyl alcohol (IPA)
Distilled water
Slips of clean square paper (one folded diagonally for moving the aMT around). Other paper should be laid down over work area to recover any spillage.
Latex gloves
Safety glasses (for dealing with HCl)

Personal technique used (you can obviously simplify, adjust quantities, improve or substitute as is appropriate or you see fit – this is just exactly what I did as an amateur doing it for the first time):

Clean all non-sterile equipment that will contact the aMT with acetone to remove any residue from past use. Rinse with IPA and allow to evaporate. Put on safety gear. Dump 1 g aMT freebase on folded paper square and transfer to test tube. Use needle-less syringe to add 12 mL or more of distilled water to test tube over the aMT(I kept the test tube vertical by simply placing it in a glass). CAREFULLY pour HCl into small glass (don’t inhale the fumes, they’re nasty). Use needle-less syringe to draw up 1 mL of HCl. Slowly drop into test tube with aMT, swirling the mixture as you do. You want to use as little HCl as possible to keep the pH higher (I’ve been warned that dumping 30 percent muriatic acid straight onto aMT may destroy some due to the very low pH, so you add distilled water first to keep it more diluted). Give it a minute or two with more swirling to drop into solution. You can zap it 5 seconds or so at a time in the microwave to heat it if you want. Slowly drip in more HCl if it’s not all in solution after the first 1 mL. No particles should remain unless your aMT contains insoluble impurities.

Pour the aMT HCl solution into a small clean glass. Attach .22 micron filter to one of your luer lock needle-less syringes and pull out the back plunger. Draw aMT HCl solution into the other syringe, then carefully squirt the solution into the back of the plunger-less syringe (I wouldn’t fill it up all the way or you risk spilling). Holding the syringe with micron filter over the glass baking dish, put the plunger back into the syring and push the solution through the micron filter and into the dish. Repeat this process until all your aMT HCl solution has been filtered through the micron filter and emptied into the dish. You may want to push some air through the filter to make sure you get all the aMT solution out of the filter.

Fan evaporate. Scrape it up with your razor. Put it in a glass vial for storage.

* The reason I think micron filtering improved purity is based on my visual inspection of a small trial run amount of unfiltered aMT HCl solution that I evaporated into a glass dish. The micron filtered and evaporated aMT HCl was substantially paler (very pale yellow, almost white) than the non-filtered, more yellow, aMT HCl. The micron filter also remained yellow even after I flushed it with distilled water, suggesting impurities were caught in it. I didn’t bother with recrystalization because I don’t trust the purity of the additional retail chemicals I’d have needed for it and didn’t want potential chemical leftovers in anything I was going to inject, plus I wanted to keep losses minimal.

I had also done a trial with 50 mg using an oven set to 170 F to speed evaporation. The boiling point of aMT HCl is substantially higher than 170 F, so I didn’t think it would be an issue, but the color of the oven evaporated aMT HCl was darker and more grayish than the fan evaporated, suggesting heat degradation.

Last edited by a moderator: