• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants amphetamine high heart rate and other effects, will a beta block reduce this?

bluu~

Greenlighter
SWIM is currently addicted to pharmaceutical amphetamines and has been for a great amount of months. SWIM was wondering, if SWIM's heart rate is really fast and SWIM has general bad trip vibes. Would taking a beta-blocker such as Bisoprolol/HCTZ work to reduce SWIM's heart rate? SWIM may also have heart pains but SWIM isn't too worried about that.

SWIM has general anxiety with taking heart medicine and since HCTZ (Hydrochlorothiazide) is a diuretic SWIM assumes this would make SWIM even more dehydrated and could hurt SWIM.

I tried my best to fit into this forum's guidelines, sorry if I didn't. We all make mistakes :).

SWIM was tweaking out really bad. SWIM took a bisoprolol/HCTZ hopefully SWIM stays alright. SWIM is thinking about taking another, SWIM's heart is killing him.

Hi blu, welcome to BL. Sorry to hear about your heart pains. We don't use terms like SWIM here, we know you're talking about yourself and that's ok :)

How addicted are you, exactly? How much are you using? How long have you had heart pains? Does the pain ever go away?

The problem with using a beta blocker is it may make the heart pain worse, even though it will slow down your heart. Also, you're right that the diuretic HCTZ isn't a good idea either, depending on how much amps you're using, how hydrated you are, and how much you're eating.

"SWIM" shouldn't be using the acronym "SWIM". It's simply not allowed on BL, but you're new so you have a good chance of not being banned outright... hehe. JK.

In my opinion...you probably have 2 medical issues occurring at the same time.

1.) The fast heart rate and bad "vibes/feelings" are almost definitely a DIRECT result of your amphetamine addiction. If you weren't aware already, amphetamine use(especially amphetamine addiction) often causes tachycardia. So consequently I believe these symptoms are a result of excessive amphetamine use, and possible cardiovascular damage from long term excessive amphetamine use.

2.) Along with your symptoms from too much amphetamine...I also believe you are at least mildly hypochondriacal. The fact that you know you are taking too much amphetamine but fail to recognize the connection between that and your cardiovascular symptoms(as well as your fear of becoming dehydrated from the HCTZ- If you're worried about dehydration just drink more fluids), suggests to me that you might be making this situation more complicated than it is or has to be.
Although you must remember I am not a licensed physician or psychiatrist so take my advice/opinion with a grain of salt.

...quit the amphetamines, and your symptoms should subside over time, unless you somehow did permanent damage.

Last edited:
Is it Dexedrine you are taking? Adderall? And in what context?
Set and Setting can change a lot about the way your mind and body are exchanging. And please describe what kinf of discomfort it is=>
For example, if you have those big, surprising beats that you can feel being powerfully pumping every now and then, with a BPM from 70 to '140'(<=big guess), your heart is just having minor arrythmias associated to vasodilation of your main arteries due to vasoconstriction of your smaller vessels.
In such a case you could take bisoprolol, but walking or at least standing will help you feel a lot better, especially if you were sitting or laying on your back, as the latter two exacerbate the strain on your heart because more blood will flow to your abdomen (by means of gravity) when it could be in your legs. If your heart-rate is stagnating around 90-110BPM I still do not recommend you to take a beta-blocker as it might become an excuse to "use more" once you feel better, like alcohol and coke for some - causing other serious side effects you would've saved yourself from not starting intake of bisoprolol.

If you're having a very rapid BPM from 120 to 170+ but yet you feel that your heart really is "pumping" weakly, (not a strong pulse) you're having problems with it because it lacks glucose and oxygen, and can't properly take up blood from your veins into your arteries anymore. And to this add to the adrenergic stress it's already under.
In this case no thinking about it just take one dose of bisoprolol, and go outside in case you faint; more chances of help. If after 30min of medicating and being outside you still feel like fainting, or have loss of peripheral vision (or blurry), trouble walking/speeking/thinking then I'd recommend you to take Hydrochlorothiazide on top of your bisoprolol. This shouldn't present any "unacceptable" dangers as hydrochlorothiazide is often prescribed in association with a beta-blocker.
Having both of these on hand really helped you out I think, but keep in mind that you shouldn't think of it as an excuse to put yourself at danger.

Last edited:
Oh fuck I am so sorry for using "SWIM" just haven't really been myself. I ended up taking a Bisoprolol/HCTZ and it worked, I don't know chemistry it's been ages since AP Chem, but it worked and I feel saved my life

But ya haha I usually start my day by snorting an Adderall IR 10mg in the morning than going to work. And if I want take more, I have really bad memory problems so I can't really remember, but I just bought tons of Vyvanse 70mg and have been abusing the fuck out of that and yesterday or this morning I lost control and forgot how much and ended up, to what I'd call an OD?, it sure as hell felt like one. I often speed alone in my room and dont talk to anyone, I did feel that this "OD" was a great part Vyvanse, but was also a small part anxiety which is just something I've had.

Listen I don't know how much amphetamines I have taken in the past months. I am no longer in control of my body but I see everything and tonight I do not feel like taking any amphetamines.
I could write about this for hours and I'm not even speeding, or maybe I just have a bunch of Vyvanse in my system I don't know time anymore.

But uh I did lose control, and that person that I still feel inside me is starting to wake the fuck up. I went to work like a couple hours, probably less, after what felt like I was about to die.
I'm talking to much, sorry if I broke the rules I read the guidelines couple times haha.

Know I'm addicted, now know I'm outa control, obvious by this post. I talked to an old friend who warned me about a "realm" before but I ignored and sped past him and uh he was really helpful in making me feel so much better. Even reading these replies after work made me feel so much better idk anyone, but yo im just a tweaker in my mind, cogito ergo sum.

I hope this is my last spam-off-topic-post ever, because just no.
Sorry.

Any way to try a beta blocker without the HCTZ? Probably minor, but the Amph is a diuretic, and so is the thiazide, you might drop your bp too much? I guess if you drink water and a salty cracker you'd be OK if you didn't stand up too fast (I was briefly on similar bp drugs as a skinny teen, and couldn't stand up in the morning).

But good news, I read a TIP-33 treatment guide on stimulant abuse, and cardiac events are actually quite rare (except for cocaine). Glad you feel better.