• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Amitriptyline + diazepam

Spurs_1882

Bluelighter
I have been taking 10mg amitriptyline (for IBS) for just over a week.

I need to get up early tomorrow so was wondering if it would be safe to mix it with 10mg diazepam tonight in order to get an early night?

The ami has been helping me sleep but I feel it won't be sufficient on its own as I'll be going to bed a good 4 hours before my normal time.

I also take pregabalin 50mg at night, but am tolerant to that (been on it for years, am stuck on that dose midway through a taper I put on hold).

Thank you.

I know I used to take ami at night and it used to make me super sleepy. I mean I couldn't keep my eyes open after a while. Why add another drug to the mix, with all the possible negative ramifications, when you could just up the ami and let it do it's thing. I know for me, that would have done the trick. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Combining a tricyclic with a benzo to be able to get enough sleep could potentially backfire. No, it is by no means "dangerous" or anything, just that both these substances combined might leave you seriously drowsy in the morning.

The actual duration of the diazepam's effects can be a bit tricky to estimate: theoretically, its half-life is extremely long (like 2-3 days), but the effects of a single dose don't last anywhere near that long because it is so lipophilic that much of it will dissolve in your body fat.

Maybe you could do a compromise and only take 5mg of diazepam, and go to sleep only 2 hours early?

Combining a tricyclic with a benzo to be able to get enough sleep could potentially backfire. No, it is by no means "dangerous" or anything, just that both these substances combined might leave you seriously drowsy in the morning.

The actual duration of the diazepam's effects can be a bit tricky to estimate: theoretically, its half-life is extremely long (like 2-3 days), but the effects of a single dose don't last anywhere near that long because it is so lipophilic that much of it will dissolve in your body fat.

Maybe you could do a compromise and only take 5mg of diazepam, and go to sleep only 2 hours early?

Thanks for the reply. (you as well Beachbum4u)

I already feel that I'm not sleeping as well with the ami as I did at the start, so I think I may be getting tolerant to it (maybe because I was on it before, stopped, and then after 6 months restarted). That makes me think I'd be okay. But a compromise like you suggest might be better.

Or maybe I'd be less drowsy in the morning if I just took 20mg ami and left the diazepam out. What do you reckon?

Give it a shot, what do you have to lose? One night of sleep, big whoop, sounds like you've lost plently of those already. What's one more if it happens to not work. Good luck!