• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Amazon Prime Streaming Recommendations

psood0nym

Bluelighter
This is a thread for Bluelighters who have access to Amazon Prime's Streaming service and want to recommend titles to others with the same service. Since I assume most Bluelighters who have such access probably also have access to Netflix Instant, I think we'll get the greatest utility out of this thread by limiting it to only recommendations that are exclusive to Amazon Prime. With this in mind, I've quickly browsed the most recent selections and come back with this somewhat odd and eclectic list to get things started. I encourage others to add the same.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Paprika
RahXephon The Motion Picture
Vanilla Sky
One Flew Over the Cuckoos' Nest
Bullitt
Requiem for a Dream
The Foot Fist Way
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
A Mighty Wind
In the Mouth of Madness
The Secret of NIMH
Ran
A Scanner Darkly
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Don't Look Now
Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?
Time Crimes
The Triplets of Bellville
The Doom Generation
Audition
Cool World
The Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat
Head Hunters
Easy Rider
Talk to Her
Mysterious Skin
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
Salvador

... and a number of random MST3K offerings

It isn't much, but with the help of others hopefully this tiny list will eventually grow into something more useful for fans of streaming video.

Interstellar
Ex Machina
Ram Dass, Fierce Grace (its a bit boring)
New Yorker Presents (reasonable)
The Man With the Golden Arm
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Newsroom

considering:Bored to Death

Might have to update the OP. Some of those are no longer available on Prime.

Might have to update the OP. Some of those are no longer available on Prime.

Yea, I was considering watching some of the movies posted in the OP but was unable to find them. I am unsure if the problem I am having with prime is caused by my impatience to sort through all the shit to find something worth watching, or perhaps there just isn't anything good on there. I'll try some targeted searches rather than scrolling through the infinite amount of useless recommendations.

others:

The Wire
The Sopranos
Selma (haven't seen it)
Noam Chomsky crisis and hope (2010)
Fargo (the movie)
Danny Collins - Al Pacino (haven't seen it)
A Most Wanted Man - Philip Seymour Hoffman (haven't seen it)

Last edited:
Oh cool, people finally found this thread. Here are two solid resources for finding good stuff to stream on Amazon Prime:

http://instantwatcher.com/a (Instantwatcher.com is a third party site that does a better job of organizing and searching both Netflix's and Amazon's content than either site)
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/now-streaming-on-amazon-instant-video (This is Metacritic.com's page of recently made available content that has earned high aggregate ratings among critics. They also have a page for Netflix, and hopefully will soon have one for Hulu.)

I recently watched Song of the Sea on Prime and recommend it. It's by the same animators who made The Secret of Kells. Waking Ned Devine is another quality film made available recently. They've added a lot of of better stuff relative to what they started with within the past six months or so. EDIT: I see they've got all three seasons of Deadwood on Prime now too, a series that arguably has the finest writing of any show ever.

Last edited:
Have you tried watching any of the original series? The Man in the High Castle looks decent.

The New Yorker Presents - a few segments
Biosphere Continuum- with a different soundtrack
The Americans

(disappointed prime member)

if you are in the mood for something lighter, i'm watching alpha house.

the plot is four republican senators sharing the same d.c. rental house. it's a political sit-com and features a guy who is one of my favourite actors because he just nails it every time: john goodman.

alasdair

I feel pretty confident recommending "Nebraska" (Bruce Dern, Will Forte, Bob Odenkirk) to Prime subscribers. Dir. Alexander Payne (Sideways) filmed this family focused dramedy in black and white, a smart aesthetic choice for placing personal and economic decay in stark relief as a doting father and sympathetic son cross the dilapidated Midwest in hopes of claiming a one million dollar sweepstakes prize.

20140217-nebraska-x624-1392604174.jpg

Payne's blatant depiction of the characters' dingy environs and resigned lifestyles succeeds in creating a mood of honest rural desperation that will resonate with those familiar with these or similar sections of the U.S. countryside. Comic relief comes from the wise cracking mother and her no bullshit attitude toward the fool's errand as well as from a fleshed out assortment of down-on-their-luck old friends and family members who crawl out of the woodwork once the rumor the money's real catches fire.