PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Amanita Muscaria Extraction Q’s

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
Hey guys,

So finally deciding to give this mushroom a go, and figured I’d lay out my thoughts and what I’ve done so far, to get any advice from those with more experience.

4 years ago I believe, maybe 5, I stumbled upon a decent sized patch of absolutely gorgeous Amanita muscaria var. guessowi right in my own front yard and decided this patch was too beautiful to pass up.

I dried them to best of my ability (they seem to absorb moisture from the air) and stored them away until a few days ago figured I should finally try these guys.

From my research Amanita (as well as Gymnopilus) seem to be more active in the Midwest over the PNW, these were picked in the Midwest.

I’ve seen refs use methanol as a common extraction solvent, so currently 17.5g of scissor chopped Amanita is soaking in 200ml of methanol at RT.

I guess beyond a simple methanol extraction, any other extraction tips or information? Will the muscimol and other alkaloids survive a standard A/B? Is it even worth it at this amount of fungi material?

If nothing else I’ll report back how the methanol extract treats me once finished and dried.

-GC

Ive made a great tincture with 150g dried and roasted amanitas in 700ml of vodka.

I first put about 350ml vodka with the mushrooms in a jar for about 3weeks.
Then strained the vodka out and put new vodka in.

So now i have 2batches of different potency.

Ive made a great tincture with 150g dried and roasted amanitas in 700ml of vodka.

I first put about 350ml vodka with the mushrooms in a jar for about 3weeks.
Then strained the vodka out and put new vodka in.

So now i have 2batches of different potency.

Any experiences with it yet or na? I’m curious to know what dose I should start with. Thinking maybe 3-5g worth of extract and if that’s weak, just take the rest later.

-GC

Yea what would a few mls equate to? How much ya’ll think I should start with if thinking in terms of dry material in grams?

I’ve heard start with 3.5-7g or so but if anyone has different opinion.

-GC

Yeah, ive done a few ml at the end of a lsd trip once.
Another time after some San pedro.

Its probably the best way to ingest amanita IMO.
The taste is really nice and it feels like psychedelic opium.

Good to know. Its almost amanita season here...

Thanks for starting thread GC. I have been interested in Amanita's lately too. So it is good to see the same questions and await some experiences. I don't see too much info on them. Chris Timoth had a few posts I saved with information but that is it. So far the mushroom has it's fans and others that didn't think much. But we all know the first few tries of something don't always result in what we expect. So hopefully there is more to this.

Amanita's are weird. They really push the limits on the physical discomfort / psychoactive benefits ratio.
At least ime. Good luck 😃😈

Does soaking in methanol help the active to convert?

My understanding is ibotenic acid needs to be converted to muscimol. This is done according to what i have researched using very low heat in an oven say 40 degrees c for many hours.

I havent actively played with amanitas yet tho.

How many mls are a few? Any experience on its own?

Ni idea really, i just filled a shot glass that we passed around.
My guess is that i took around 5g worth of amanitas though.

Though the amanitas in my region is known to be quite weak, the only time i really tripped of them i took around 20g.

Personally i barely get any nausea from them so i dont fear pushing the doses.
But i dont usually take it alone, its more of a afterglow booster after tripping together with thc.
I really like how it combines with tradiotonal psychedelics.

Does soaking in methanol help the active to convert?

My understanding is ibotenic acid needs to be converted to muscimol. This is done according to what i have researched using very low heat in an oven say 40 degrees c for many hours.

I havent actively played with amanitas yet tho.

I roasted my dried mushrooms before soaking them.
Its not really hard so felt like a good idea.

Thanks Jack, due to the interest and my boredom I may eat this this coming weekend. I’m going to stop at one week soak and then simply evaporate to see what I yield.

So methanol doesn’t convert anything, it just seemed like a reasonable choice of solvent when looking at refs as well as if ever somewhat unfamiliar with a plants biochemistry methanol seems to be a good solvent to capture a full spectrum of bioactive constituents.

Ibotenic acid, as said already, converts via heat/decarboxylation to muscimol. These mushrooms were dried in a dehydrator and then sat in varying conditions (sometimes very hot summers) for 4 yrs or so. I’m almost certain it’s sll been converted at this point.

This will also be a good test on this mushrooms shelf life, as they were stored less than ideally.

Will report back! :)

-GC

Sorry guys still haven’t had a chance to eat any but a 9 day methanol soak of 17.5g dry’ish material yielded 4.25g of a orange oily/gooey extract which does not want to dry further.

This extract tastes exactly like chicken bouillon, very salty. The extract was attempted to be dissolved in water with zero luck, then vinegar with the same results.

The next plan is to dissolve the product in whiskey to create a tincture which can then be dosed accurately. The current extract is too unwieldy, the act of weighing it alone was a nightmare.

Will report back!

-GC

Sorry guys still haven’t had a chance to eat any but a 9 day methanol soak of 17.5g dry’ish material yielded 4.25g of a orange oily/gooey extract which does not want to dry further.

This extract tastes exactly like chicken bouillon, very salty. The extract was attempted to be dissolved in water with zero luck, then vinegar with the same results.

The next plan is to dissolve the product in whiskey to create a tincture which can then be dosed accurately. The current extract is too unwieldy, the act of weighing it alone was a nightmare.

Will report back!

-GC

I'd be especially interested in if you can create a tincture strong enough that a few ml produces marked effects. I hate the taste of them and have pondered a tincture for some time, but I'm not sure it can be made sufficiently potent without a much more in depth extraction of the active constituents than I feel like undertaking for a substance I rarely use to begin with.