• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Am I the only one who rations their doses to save money and avoid withdrawal?

I was thinking wait until tolerance kicks in.
Because sooner or later that one pill ain’t gonna do shit, and the. It’s like, why am I doing this 1 pill if it ain’t doing nothing....

Oh ..... too be young and naive.

My best advice is be careful functionaljnkiegrl. You’re playing with Fire.
All of started out in the beginning thinking “we got this” ! LoL!
I'm actually 30 years old and have been using for 11 or 12 years now. That being said, I'm long passed the young and naive stage of drug use. I had less self-control when I first started using. Now its mostly about maintenance.

When you swallow an M30 blue of Purdue's finest and feel drop dead sober that's when you know the game is over. You can still take more or go to higher things but it's going to be a bad time after that.

I don't miss the perpetual feel of withdrawal. I do miss the buzz a bit :/
I take 1/4 of an oxy 30 or half of a 10mg perc to help me sleep each night. That amount does nothing other than act as a very mild sleep aid to me (or it could just be keeping the withdrawal at bay). I top that off with weed, ZzzQuil, and melatonin. Its not so bad once you get use to a lower dose. Once a month i take a 200mg dose of oxy as a treat to wind down though. I find that rationing daily makes the party dose more effective when that time rolls around. If i didn't ration like i do, when i actually do get high it would be mediocre at best. I prefer 300mg of morphine but I can't get it anymore. Oh well. I gotta make do with whatever else I can find.

Last edited:
By the way.. the price of oxy without a prescription is double... no TRIPLE what it used to be. Hence how my addiction was able to even occur in the first place. They say, "it will go back down after the quarantine." Yeah and I have a pet dragon and Harambe walks the earth again.

Now it's like 2/2.5 dollar per milligram and it's only getting higher and higher. I'd rather spend my money on things that don't have a withdrawal. That leaves heroin in the cost negotiable category but not one junkie veteran can recommend it. I love getting high but not that high. Still, if it was a dollar per milligram I'd probably be addicted to this very day. I'd say the dealers did me a favor.

@JunkieGal keep doing what you're doing. If that's what makes you happy then nobody here can say it's wrong because most of us have lived that way for a while lol. In the grand scheme of life though you will probably one way or another be forced to go without it for an unforseen amount of time. Try to build friends and maintain a good life regardless.
I appreciate the kind words. I know rationing doesn't work for everyone but it has worked well for me so far. Luckily where I'm from most pills still cost a buck per mg...when you can find it and if you know the right people, that is.

Last edited:
I take 1/4 of an oxy 30 or half of a 10mg perc to help me sleep each night. That amount does not I kng other than act as a very mild sleep aid to me (or it could just be keeping the withdrawal at bay). I top that off with weed, ZzzQuil, and melatonin. Its not so bad once you get use to a lower dose. Once a month i take a 200mg dose of oxy as a treat to wind down though. I find that rationing daily makes the party dose more effective when that time rolls around. If i didn't ration like i do, getting high would be mediocre at best. I prefer 300mg of morphine but I can't get it anymore. Oh well. I gotta make do with whatever else I can find.
I love all the people that automatically assume that if you use opioids (or meth, anything really) daily/on the reg and are able to retain self control etc you must be young and naive/haven’t been using long.

Sure a lot of people do lose control after a few years but there are those of us who can maintain control and retain a net positive benefit from our drug use.

Just don’t be too quick too assume your experience is universal and anyone who describes a different relationship with drugs is just placed earlier on some universal trajectory and just hasn’t realised what you have.

I appreciate the kind words. I know rationing doesn't work for everyone but it has worked well for me so far. Luckily where I'm from most pills still cost a buck per mg...when you can find it and if you know the right people, that is.

Also a good thing I’ve found for keeping tolerance down is taking variable doses, if you take a lower dose half the time (reduced as much as you can w/o triggering discomfort/WD) and take the higher dose only on the days where you really need a higher blood level you can prevent you’re body from achieving that god damn homeostasis that causes tolerance to increase

I’ve been using opioids daily for almost 15 years so since I was about 15 years old and I’m still able to use opioids in a way that enhances (most of the time at least) my life rather than detracting from it

I love all the people that automatically assume that if you use opioids (or meth, anything really) daily/on the reg and are able to retain self control etc you must be young and naive/haven’t been using long.

Sure a lot of people do lose control after a few years but there are those of us who can maintain control and retain a net positive benefit from our drug use.

Just don’t be too quick too assume your experience is universal and anyone who describes a different relationship with drugs is just placed earlier on some universal trajectory and just hasn’t realised what you have.
Yeah. People making assumptions that someone must be new to drug use on the basis that they don't believe anyone can find a method of rationing that actually works is a somewhat bold statement to say to a fellow addict. I've maintained this routine of rationing for year. Not only has it saved me a shitload of money, I haven't had withdrawals since I began this routine. I consider myself very lucky to be a high-functioning addict who's able to prioritize my basic needs. I know it doesn't work for everyone though.

Last edited:
I've been an addict for over a decade but I'm proud that I have some sense of self-discipline despite having to dose once a day. Thank you for the compliment, by the way. My eye color is one of the very few things I wouldn't change about myself.
Dosing once a day is a vile addiction.. Where is all the fun of having to redose and feel the plateau getting a step higher, that is the chasing paradise Stairway .

Also a good thing I’ve found for keeping tolerance down is taking variable doses, if you take a lower dose half the time (reduced as much as you can w/o triggering discomfort/WD) and take the higher dose only on the days where you really need a higher blood level you can prevent you’re body from achieving that god damn homeostasis that causes tolerance to increase

I’ve been using opioids daily for almost 15 years so since I was about 15 years old and I’m still able to use opioids in a way that enhances (most of the time at least) my life rather than detracting from it
Whatever helps is a good thing. Its going on 11 or 12 years for me. I started using painkillers daily when I was 18 or 19 (but got my first taste at 16 and that's what kick-started my love-hate relationship with opiates). I turn 31 in November, so you're probably close to my age.

Dosing once a day is a vile addiction.. Where is all the fun of having to redose and feel the plateau getting a step higher, that is the chasing paradise Stairway .
As much as I'd love to be pinned-out 24/7, I can't afford it. I don't like having to redose anyhow. I'd rather take something time-released that will have me set all day.

I am also a functional addict for the time being. I’ve been dysfunctional many times too however..

I regulate the amount of meth I smoke quite a bit. I buy semi quantity, enough to last 6-8 weeks and at my peak I consistently used .5g a day when I was recently more in dysfunction. Now that I’m working, having to be more discreet about my use, and also wanting to keep what I have gained and accomplished in recent months to have a fuckin life.. I’m using 2-3 points a day tops. The other day I smoked 4 hits all day, then a little more at night.

I like getting high but that’s a tall order unless I do a bunch or IV which I’m trying to avoid as much as I can. Mostly, although I get some buzz I’m just trying to function and get by.

I’m so hooked on amphetamines that I have a pretty marked withdrawal which takes the life right out of me and mentally I have a lot of trouble being clean even if I’ve cleaned up for awhile. I always go back, and I now always regulate it the best I can.

There’s no point in wasting my dope, my body, my time, or my life binging all the time. It happens but I’m really just using to get by. I want this to be over though, fast. I’ve just made a move into a better job and start in 2 weeks once my notice is up at the last one. I’m trying to wean down now.

I don’t know if I can but I have to keep trying to give this up. Even at the functional level, I fully expect it will eventually crumble to dysfunction and it will ruin my life if not kill me.

I'm actually 30 years old and have been using for 11 or 12 years now. That being said, I'm long passed the young and naive stage of drug use. I had less self-control when I first started using. Now its mostly about maintenance.

Well when I said the “young and naive stage” I didn’t necessarily meant being in your youth and unknowledgeable per say. I meant more so that early on early on “stage” when we feel invincible and immune to addiction.

I mean regardless of where we are at with our useage and adddition- we all have moments where we have to ration our doses to get through til we can reup or squire more funds But I guess I just don’t relate to you because as I myself am well into the second decade like yourself- I can’t just justify paying for my habit just to “get right” everyday. I suppose I just don’t see the point in spending the money and going thru the mental mindfuck of staving off WD if I’m not even going to get something out of it.... which in this case it’s getting hiiiigh like a mother fuuuukkkker.

I am also a functional addict for the time being. I’ve been dysfunctional many times too however..

I regulate the amount of meth I smoke quite a bit. I buy semi quantity, enough to last 6-8 weeks and at my peak I consistently used .5g a day when I was recently more in dysfunction. Now that I’m working, having to be more discreet about my use, and also wanting to keep what I have gained and accomplished in recent months to have a fuckin life.. I’m using 2-3 points a day tops. The other day I smoked 4 hits all day, then a little more at night.

I like getting high but that’s a tall order unless I do a bunch or IV which I’m trying to avoid as much as I can. Mostly, although I get some buzz I’m just trying to function and get by.

I’m so hooked on amphetamines that I have a pretty marked withdrawal which takes the life right out of me and mentally I have a lot of trouble being clean even if I’ve cleaned up for awhile. I always go back, and I now always regulate it the best I can.

There’s no point in wasting my dope, my body, my time, or my life binging all the time. It happens but I’m really just using to get by. I want this to be over though, fast. I’ve just made a move into a better job and start in 2 weeks once my notice is up at the last one. I’m trying to wean down now.

I don’t know if I can but I have to keep trying to give this up. Even at the functional level, I fully expect it will eventually crumble to dysfunction and it will ruin my life if not kill me.

You sound like you’re making good progress alex! Having a job to do really helps, gives you a routine that’s not based around using. I’d just keep trying to reduce over time 👍

Well when I said the “young and naive stage” I didn’t necessarily meant being in your youth and unknowledgeable per say. I meant more so that early on early on “stage” when we feel invincible and immune to addiction.

I mean regardless of where we are at with our useage and adddition- we all have moments where we have to ration our doses to get through til we can reup or squire more funds But I guess I just don’t relate to you because as I myself am well into the second decade like yourself- I can’t just justify paying for my habit just to “get right” everyday. I suppose I just don’t see the point in spending the money and going thru the mental mindfuck of staving off WD if I’m not even going to get something out of it.... which in this case it’s getting hiiiigh like a mother fuuuukkkker.
It’s just a different purpose for using opioids, some people value the rush and getting a nod on even if it’s just for a little while but others (me) like to be permanently high enough so that everything you do in your life feels just that little bit more awesome hahaha although of course I still like a fat shot now and then lols

I always think I should ration but I never do haha. I always say this will be the last time I will get high no matter what and tomorrow I will start rationing, but I have never done it lol.

I try and balance all my resources throughout the month. That will include sleeping through several days on some Seroquel, a couple of bottles of methadone which also carry me over multiple days, my own scripts, what i can buy, some pams off a neighbour, and I still spend at least one bad stretch of sick, and a few single sick days here and there.

it's been bothering me though, the fact is I can't afford to get through the month functioning. and my budget is about to take a hit too. I'm not a party animal. and not a hustler to round up more. i don't think drugs should be illegal. I don't get whacked out or crazy, I'm a quiet homebody. I just want enough to function normally and to feel like a contented person who is ok with existing. I hate the element I am forced to mingle with, and am not good at fitting in with it, which they can tell and then i am treated worse.

It just doesn't seem fair. Even on gargantuan quantities of multiple drugs, i'm a laid back, homebody. I don't bother anyone or hurt myself, I don't see why I can't have enough meds that I feel right and not anxious or in turmoil or sick. My doctor routinely raises doses of psych meds past limits, mixes scripts that aren't supposed to go together, and yet won't just prescribe enough of a scheduled drug. She gives me drugs like candy to help with sweating on account of other drugs, and never thought twice about them and they cause brain damage, but i can't just have the drugs that work for me. no craving, no fiending, no acting weird, they just work for me. its in my genes. my sister plays the same game trying to cobble together something that works and she has a high pressure job.

i've been managing about 22-24 days a month, and in bed t rest. my budget is about to be cut in half. that just won't work.

With pills, I always rationed. The stability of the regulated market just made it too easy. Once I started doing heroin, it became impossible to attempt, which was a terrible cycle of anxiety and escalating use.

To each their own, I suppose. Do what works best for you. I know my method doesn't work for everyone.

I wish you the best. I gotta ask by the way, what's meth withdrawal like? I know its beyond terrible with opiates but I never had a problem with meth. Never liked it that much because sleep is very important to me and being prescribed Concerta through highschool up until i dropped out of college cost me a lot of sleepless nights. I even get too jittery if I have more than a couple of caffeinated beverages a day.