• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Am I addicted to Percocet or has it possibly helped me???

artiecosmo

Greenlighter
I have perused Bluelight in the past, but I finally pulled the trigger and signed up today. I have finally gotten to the point where I need to know if I have a problem. Reading some of the threads on here I am sure I will come off as a pussy, but I hope to at least be an interesting pussy.

I have had a prescription for Percocet for 7 months now. Prior to that I had prescriptions on and off for about 2 years of Vicodin. I would get 30 pills at 500- 5mg. With the Percocet now I get 60 pills that are 325-10mg. I ALWAYS run out before my refill. When I do run out I can usually scrounge something up from family members or friends, either Vicodin or Percocet- doesn’t really matter.

The reason I have the prescription is because I have a totally wrecked shoulder which through not dealing with left me with a wrecked elbow. I was also a high level athlete- played college basketball- and put my body through hell for about the first 28 years of my life. So my body is kind of a mess.

All that being said the pain I have in my body is certainly something I can deal with without the help of these pills. But, they do make me physically feel better. And obviously make me feel warm and tingly.

I would say that I average about 30 mgs per day. The most I ever did in a day was 60. And that only happened once. I have been 40 mg’s or more plenty of times. See- Pussy. I will hopefully get to the interesting part soon.

During these 7 months when I have run out and haven’t been able to get any replacements from friends or family I just haven’t taken them that day or days. I think the longest I have gone in 7 months was 4 days. During that 4 days I had some restless legs and some general malaise, but certainly nothing that affected my day to day. I got up and went to work. I hung out with my family, etc. Just didn’t feel as good.

So now I am out of pills again and will be for more than a week. The last Percocet I took was almost 30 hours ago. I did take 15 mg’s of Vicodin about 27 hours ago and another 10 mg’s of Vicodin 12 hours ago. I feel some slight “floating” symptoms. But nothing major.

My dilemma now is to figure out whether I should try to quit the pills or not. Knowing my dosage is small and the length of my prescription being short it seems like W/D shouldn’t be too bad.

Now the interesting part: During the two years plus of taking the pills I have had a lot of personal success and a TON of professional success. I started a business from nothing and now it is thriving. It has done so well that I bought a house 5 months ago for 430k. Before the business I was renting a house for $1300 per month.

I am not trying to link my professional success with taking these pills, but I do think they have helped in some regards. For example, I am very social and agreeable and generally in a good mood when I have taken the pills. Because for my company to prosper I have to sell the product this is a good thing to be.

I also find myself way more empathetic, grateful, appreciative and generally kind.

Should be noted that prior to me getting the prescription I had those same qualities, but now they are much more intensified. And in a good way.

So my questions:

1. Is my daily intake and length of time something to be concerned with?
2. Since it has been a few months since I took some days off from them how much W/D symptoms will I come across?
3. Is it possible that these drugs helped my business be successful because the owner, and head salesperson (me!) was in a good mood? And got people to buy?
4. Can people go years and years on 30 mgs per day without chronic pain and have a healthy life?

I would assume that if I keep going my tolerance will only increase and then it will be difficult to kick the habit. But it has been well over two years and I still average only 30 mg’s per day. Is that a normal “ramp-up?”

Or am I totally just fooling myself? And that if I don’t address this problem now it could spiral out of control?

Please note I am incredibly naïve to most drugs and drug lingo in general. If I ask stupid clarifying questions please forgive me.

Any feedback or experiences would be appreciated.

Welcome to BL!
I don't think it's wise to use opiates for years and years as you posted.
You'll be tolerant and will need higher doses with time.
I believe 7 months is sufficient to give you a mild withdraw for few days.
The longer you use the worst it gets.

I suggest you seek for medical help to quit this. There are medication that helps you go through withdraws and it won't be that bad.

I often linked the use of opiates to my career's success but it's a never ending cycle. At some point you have to make a choice.
Good luck!

1. Is my daily intake and length of time something to be concerned with?

If you're taking opioids on a daily basis and are physically dependent on them at age 28, to the point where you regularly exceed your prescription, I'd say you have a problem.

2. Since it has been a few months since I took some days off from them how much W/D symptoms will I come across?

It's hard to tell. You'll have to discontinue both Vicodin and Percocet together because they are both opioids which have very similar effects. But if you've been on them for a long time, you''ll probably feel pretty lame. Stiff and sore and asocial, and kind of like you have the Flu.

3. Is it possible that these drugs helped my business be successful because the owner, and head salesperson (me!) was in a good mood? And got people to buy?

No, opioid drugs don't make successful business people. They mask pain temporarily. The opiates aren't making you a good salesperson... that's your addiction trying to justify itself.

4. Can people go years and years on 30 mgs per day without chronic pain and have a healthy life?

Yes, and people can also live til the age of 100 while smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day. Statistically speaking, if you're already at the point where you are exceeding your prescription and trying to come up with arguments for why you should get even more... you're not looking good here. Once people start increasing their opioid dose, the dose doesn't ever decrease.

This is the exact same story of a lot of other people who have fallen down the pit of opioid addiction... get prescribed opioids for pain, find they make you feel "better" and more personable, etc... then over the years you keep taking them because they make you feel so good... eventually if you stop taking them you feel crappy... and then you need to take bigger doses, and stronger narcotics, and then you're buying heroin...

Try stopping all opioid use for a week. No Vicodin, no Percocet, no cheating with any opioids. Stick to ibuprofen only and see how you feel. I bet you $100 you'll feel pretty crappy by day 5.