• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Benzos Alprozalam - What's The Big Deal

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
I can leave a pile of benzos in my drawer and not think about them--if not even just forget about them entirely. But something that improves focus or relieves pain... that I cannot leave in my drawer.

To each their own.

JoEhJoEh

Bluelighter
I can leave a pile of benzos in my drawer and not think about them--if not even just forget about them entirely. But something that improves focuor relieves pain... that I cannot leave in my drawer.

To each their own.
WOW , congrats - red carpet all over !! No offense, but I'm still struggling and pls don't act as if you would forget where your drugs are at home and not taking them by the next opportunity!

JJ

BellaJewel

Bluelighter
GetMeOutOfThisCRAP said:
I can leave a pile of benzos in my drawer and not think about them—if not even just forget about them entirely. But something that improves focuor relieves pain... that I cannot leave in my drawer.
To each their own.

JoEhJoEh then replied:
WOW , congrats - red carpet all over !! No offense, but I'm still struggling and pls don't act as if you would forget where your drugs are at home and not taking them by the next opportunity!
JJ

JJ,
I’m going to be real with you. I can only speak for myself, but I think this message bears repeating again!
Do you recall when Dalpat said you were a bit of a legend, or something to that effect? I can’t speak to what he was referring to, but for me, yes, I would agree that you are probably well known due to the things you post. Your post above is a perfect example.
The post that GetMeOutOfThisCRAP made was not a reply to yours! Please enlighten me as to any words or nuance(s) he shared in his comments that pertained to you and/or your situation!
I have seen other threads in which you’ve posted and again, you’ve gotten angry with people and falsely assumed they were talking about you. And JJ, I’ve also seen, in other threads, that people have explained to you that if the person answering the thread below yours does NOT quote your answer, They are neither talking about YOU nor referring to your answer!
Why is this such a difficult concept for you to understand?! Can this be made any clearer?!

JoEhJoEh

Bluelighter
A name to refer would be not diffult. And people who don't know me I give a shit - they never talked to me in a PM -room or elsewhere but seem to are able to have a look into myself. Cool.

JJ

JoEhJoEh

Bluelighter
What you're saying does sound logical considering the atmosphere and spotlight on doctors and addiction. I have a feeling it may be like that here, as well, now too for the majority of the situations.

I may have just been "grandfathered" in where a GP was comfortable prescribing to me.

I think it's similar to how GP typically refuse to prescribe opioids now and refer most patients to pain management doctors. But, even then, there are exceptions.
These are no exeptions. I work in the medical sector and people tell me everyday what they got prescribed. It's ridicoulus even at older people.

Deru

Moderator: CEPS
Staff member
These are no exeptions
Maybe not by you, but I got prescribed opioids from my GP. Just got prescribed oxycodone a few months ago for venous ulcers, although it was a really low amount, they can and do still prescribe opioids.

Actually, my "doctor" isn't even a doctor. She is a NP, so even nurse practitioners can prescribe opioids.

JoEhJoEh

Bluelighter
Maybe not by you, but I got prescribed opioids from my GP. Just got prescribed oxycodone a few months ago for venous ulcers, although it was a really low amount, they can and do still prescribe opioids.

Actually, my "doctor" isn't even a doctor. She is a NP, so even nurse practitioners can prescribe opioids.
of course a gp can prescribe opiates as long as their not on the list.

JoEhJoEh

Bluelighter
Ah interesting, Prinzess Dizz' post got anyhow " lost" , the "And who are you prescribing that uhm?" My Psych, my GP besides the Bromazolam

Deru

Staff member
There's also a pattern that's emerged (to me anyway) of late. Most seem to be able to taper from extremely high doses of benzos. to just about "nothing" and apparently with relative ease. But it's that last bit of "nothing" where the problems start.
I ran into the same problems for years with buprenorphine. I think it's a multifaceted issue. First and foremost, half-life. Second, these drugs are both extremely potent, so low doses do in fact provide quite a bit. The clinical threshold where dosage becomes theuraptic doesn't have as linear correlation to what dosage non-clinical effects happen with a substance, but yet the body is still having to accept it as non-toxin, metabolize it, etc. You can ingest a substance and not "feel it", but that doesn't mean it's magically disappeared from your body. Which leads to the last component, psychological. I think there becomes a threshold where we convince ourselves we're doing really well at this ultra-low doses (and that's not to say we're not doing good there, just not as well as we think) and that's when complete cessation leads to the inevitable problems and triggers and the relapse because we're still not able to cope with it in a healthy way. Which I guess leads to my true, last component, instituting healthy behavioral changes to deal with that when it happens when you're at those ultra-low dosages or preferably during the taper itself.

Deru

Staff member
have a DIFFERENT MEDICAL SYSTEM - can't you get that in your head???
...?
These are no exeptions. I work in the medical sector and people tell me everyday what they got prescribed. It's ridicoulus even at older people.

I was under the impression we were discussing the differences between our systems. Then, you said no exceptions but then conceded there was a list for exemptions

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter

JJ
Sorry that definitely was not directed at you! Just a statement how anxiety meds are in particular very addicting for some and not whatsoever for others. Everyone has their vices.

dalpat077

Bluelighter
Good morning.
I ran into the same problems for years with buprenorphine. I think it's a multifaceted issue. First and foremost, half-life. Second, these drugs are both extremely potent, so low doses do in fact provide quite a bit. The clinical threshold where dosage becomes theuraptic doesn't have as linear correlation to what dosage non-clinical effects happen with a substance, but yet the body is still having to accept it as non-toxin, metabolize it, etc. You can ingest a substance and not "feel it", but that doesn't mean it's magically disappeared from your body. Which leads to the last component, psychological. I think there becomes a threshold where we convince ourselves we're doing really well at this ultra-low doses (and that's not to say we're not doing good there, just not as well as we think) and that's when complete cessation leads to the inevitable problems and triggers and the relapse because we're still not able to cope with it in a healthy way. Which I guess leads to my true, last component, instituting healthy behavioral changes to deal with that when it happens when you're at those ultra-low dosages or preferably during the taper itself.
Lovely post and great insights. And all agreed especially the last part.

I could be wrong in my assumptions. But as I said: it's just a trend that I personally seem to be seeing. There's more than a few around here that have successfully tapered from very high doses of a benzo. only to find that they get sort of "stuck" on that last step of going to "nothing" or actually get to the "nothing" and then find they relapse albeit back to the last and lowest dose they were on. Maybe you post explains why. For some reason or the other I found myself wondering about this yesterday or he dy before and tried to think back on my experience. I tapered from a fairly high dose (if memory serves me correctly my "record" before discovering the problem was 12mg of Alprozalam per day) in a relatively short space of time (shorter by far than was recommended by Dr. Ashton that is anyway) (and I didn't want to go down the road of changing to another benzo. with a longer half life to make the taper easier because I didn't see the point). I really don't remember having any issues at all (including not having any sleeping problems BUT I was drinking quite a bit at the time so I'm sure that helped) (and at the time I'd just started a new job too which kept me busy and interested and occupied which I'm also sure helped). I only remember that last little bit being an issue. Not because I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms or anything physical i.e. just the thought of once the last tiny bits were finished (I was cutting the tablets) it was as though I couldn't imagine not taking something in the morning if that makes sense. Sort of like smoking your last few cigarettes while knowing that you could not buy anymore (during this lockdown being a prime example). In other words: more anxiety was caused by knowing that you would no longer have the tablets lying around than was actually caused by not having to take them anymore. But alright: that's just me (and maybe some others) and as I've been told: maybe I'm (again) just one of the lucky ones because I've heard stories of people having seizures and all manner of other things happen during tapering and that didn't happen to me once at any time (but then again: I again seem to note that in patients where these terrible things are happening it's not ONLY due to Alprozalam tapering?). And alright and in my case: maybe a four year stint on them wasn't enough for them to cause such issues i.e. twenty years on them may be a totally different story (for any benzo. I would imagine).

Anyway. The above and my previous post on the topic are, as I said, just something (a pattern) that I seem to be noticing lately what with all the reading that I'm once again doing on the topic. Maybe there's something to it. Maybe not.

But I will tell you (and I know you reacted to my post on this): I'm 100% convinced that for some or the other obscure reason Alprozalam improves my eyesight! It did back then as I've mentioned. And I've tested now again this time around i.e. this time around, and even although it's only a max. of 2mg per day, I'm purposely skipping entire days just to make sure that I'm not ending up in trouble again (I keep thinking it was just the other day that I started again on these things but actually it's been since beginning of April this year i.e. I just checked and time flies obviously). The ONLY physical sign that I'm aware of is that my eyesight is more strained. It's the weirdest thing. If anything: it should be the other way around in theory not? Lol! Of course: they're no longer having the effect they were having either when I started again this time around i.e. no more fuzzy and warm and life is bliss feelings anymore. And in the last two or three days not sleeping through like before. So I'm under no illusion that the tolerance is building slowly but surely again (except this time I ain't going to solve the problem by getting more i.e. last thing I need in life is a problem with these things again). I'm guessing though that were it not for the personal situation I've ended up in: I'd probably not give them a second thought. And for what it's worth: I took my last Prozac 20mg yesterday and have no intention of renewing the prescription (this against any advice I've given on these forums and possibly against even my own better judgement). Last time around I was on 40mg per day but I remember that eventually that wasn't doing the trick anymore either (those I managed to just stop cold turkey with no consequences whatsoever). Don't see the point of going down that road again either i.e. nothing has changed really and the thoughts that they kept at bay when I started taking them again in February this year are returning with a vengeance. Truth be told: they got me through the lockdown I guess. But most all restrictions here will be lifted comes Sunday midnight and, well, reality hasn't changed at all. I'm just as fucked now as I was when this all started. So what to do. Any physician would probably just throw a double dose at all of this, solve the perception problems for another few months, and then have to deal with the same, or even worse, shit and a physical addiction to benzos. yet again on top of that. No thanks. Hasn't all been for naught though i.e. as you well know I've finessed my "secret weapon" which was my main reason for signing up here anyway (but have hopefully managed to help some and encourage others along the way while busy with my "research"). So all is good relatively speaking! Lol!